Hobbo Coming Next!

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Watched "Get Out Of That, Then" last night. Lennie in chains.

No help for it, gonna have to start the Hobbo era tonight.

Not looking forward to it at all.

Hi Chuck, I used to feel the same way. In the old forum I used to be really harsh about the Hobbo years. However, as Irecently watching the Hobbo years for the third time, I developed an appreciation for it. Give it a chance.

As Codfanglers says, the more you watch the Hobbo episodes, the more they grow on you. I like them alot now.
I think there was another series there.

What really bothers me is ... at the beginning of the first
Hobbo (Promrose Dairies), we see Stella. Nora has
"gone" to Australia (again?). Damn it, Nora Batty was about
the first character ever in the LOTSW. For Compo we got
whole bunches of mourning. For Nora? Gone to Australia.
Nothing. Like she never was.

Just saying ...

Hi Chuck, I used to feel the same way. In the old forum I used to be really harsh about the Hobbo years. However, as Irecently watching the Hobbo years for the third time, I developed an appreciation for it. Give it a chance.

I was the same. I think it was the way he was introduced, straight in, no warning, and the fact that PeterSallis and FrankThornton were relegated to the ranks so to speak. But the episodes are rather funny all the same.

What really bothers me is ... at the beginning of the first
Hobbo (Promrose Dairies), we see Stella. Nora has
"gone" to Australia (again?). Damn it, Nora Batty was about
the first character ever in the LOTSW. For Compo we got
whole bunches of mourning. For Nora? Gone to Australia.
Nothing. Like she never was.

Just saying ...

as ive said before on here, kathy staff hadnt died when they filmed series 30, so its not right 2 kill somebody off if the actor or actress isnt dead, they might have been hoping kathy could return the following year but of course she died before they filmed the final series, im sure they didnt wanna kill nora off cause of the upheavel with the axing of the show but im sure if there wud have been another series they might have said nora had died.

I couldn't understand why Ivy wasn't in the last episode. She was also in the series from the very beginning and should have been on hand, even if she was just in the crowd at the wedding. While I'm on the subject, I wish Clarke had written a much better "Final Episode" for this great series. Maybe if Clegg could have had the last line being the same as he used in the first episodes, I'm going to have a sausage. That's probably not an exact quote but it's similar. That would have made a more appropriate last line to the series. The whole final episode seemed like just another program, nothing special. If anything the last episode of the previous series seemed more like a real last episode.

I couldn't understand why Ivy wasn't in the last episode. She was also in the series from the very beginning and should have been on hand, even if she was just in the crowd at the wedding. While I'm on the subject, I wish Clarke had written a much better "Final Episode" for this great series. Maybe if Clegg could have had the last line being the same as he used in the first episodes, I'm going to have a sausage. That's probably not an exact quote but it's similar. That would have made a more appropriate last line to the series. The whole final episode seemed like just another program, nothing special. If anything the last episode of the previous series seemed more like a real last episode.

Do you think it may not have been written with a 'final ever episode' in mind?
Do you not think that had Roy KNOWN it was going to be the final ever episode he may have done things differently?
That would be my take on things.

I thought of that line when I watched the first shows recently thinking how that would have made a perfect last line for the last episode, ending where it all began. I think that whole last episode should have been done differently. And from what I've read in the A. Vine book, Clarke knew that it would be the last season of shows, or at least had a very very good idea that it would be. He should have assumed it even if he only suspected it.

I thought of that line when I watched the first shows recently thinking how that would have made a perfect last line for the last episode. I think that whole last episode should have been done differently. And from what I've read in the A. Vine book, Clarke knew that it would be the last season of shows, or at least had a very very good idea that it would be. He should have assumed it even if he only suspected it.

Maybe he relied on enough backlash to at least hope for a final special,but not enough noise was made and the Muppet's now running the BBC were determined to get rid of the show,it was way above their intelligence as there was no bad language which they would understand,even the BBC trust that are there to monitor their output have been on an extended tea break for at least five years and done nothing to stop the deluge of repeats and mind numbing reality, yet another department highly paid to do nothing,as I have said before if the BBC licence was scrapped and they had to work for their money,they would close down in a few months

I heard on 'the other forum' that Roy knew the final series would be the last, but there's nothing really in the writing to suggest this. Thankfully Sallis had the final line, so maybe he had some kind of inkling.

For the last 20 years of the show's life, I assumed each series would be the last - because of how long it had already lasted, and the ageing of the cast. Was this the case with Roy?

We still need an hour or so long 'final' episode, with Sallis.

"'the other forum'"

which other forum?? of the ones I visit, one is pretty much dead
(yahoo summer-wine group), while t'other (yahoo Sid-and-IvysCafe)
talks about everything except LOTSW.

By 'the other forum' I refer to the Summer Wine Chronicle Forum, which came to an abrupt end around last Christmas. Many of the regulars on this site were members of it.

OK, was on that forum as well. Kinda miss it.

But then, THIS is the only ongoing forum for LOTSW??

All the rest have died or really changed focus.

Too damned bad.

I was one of those that found this forum after the Chronicle one expired. I am not just saying this, but this one is really the best.

Anyway Chuck, have you seen some of the Hobbo episodes yet? Try to look for the one where Hobbo hooks up Howard with a wire to go and eavesdrop on Stella who is with Pearl. That is a great moment for me.

Back