Hade Edge and the Needlework or Wrestling tree.

What's the point Chuffer? The world's going to end

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.” Douglas Adams Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy :08:

Exactly Graham !
It starts with a chill and then bingo,you’re in a coffin.
Taken out of context that line sounds awful,and I’m a bit unhappy about it.
It was said to Cleggy while they were sitting in that beautiful little area The Green at Marsden,which I’m going to visit soon,during a conversation about going in the water,in which Bradley thought you’d get a chill,he didn’t believe in any sort of enjoyment as what was the point,as Graham said,the sun was going to go out anyway,or we’d get hit by a meteorite.
I love these little morose and doom and gloom spells that we see sometimes,like Bradley,and like Smiler when he see’s company,like Lionel when he tells everyone that Spores are heading straight for your lungs,and like Morton when being introduced to a lady friend in Barry and Glenda’s house when he was all gloom when he said “and then there’s the big one” and there was that episode,I can’t remember what it was called,with the actor out of Citizen Smith who thought the World was going to end and they all met in a field,only to hear what they thought was the end of the world coming was actually Barry’s car having just been repaired by Wesley,banging and smoking.

That’s just my name for it,there were endless scenes filmed here over the years,including the fake stone circle in Welcome to Earth,and the final fight scene in Enter the Finger,but whenever I walk here and see this tree,what I see is Howard and Marina discussing Needlework or wrestling while unbeknown to them Cleggy is stuck up the tree above them,btw there is no clock tower that you can see,just beautiful views of Holme styes reservoir,Hade Edge is one of those places like New Mill,so familiar to us all but barely gets any recognition,it’s just 2 miles from the centre of Holmfirth yet people travel miles to go there yet never visit here where many episodes were filmed,it’s time places like New Mill and Hade Edge were recognised as beautiful places where Summer Wine fans can visit and see the places they are so familiar with,Barry and Glenda’s house is here,right next to this scenery,on a street called Green Abbey,I took a look but didn’t take a photo as there were two cars on the drive and I wanted to respect their privacy,from Barry and Glenda’s house and this lovely location to Sid’s cafe is just 2.1 miles.
Here is Howard and Marina,thinking they’ve found a quiet place,but Cleggy is stuck up the tree and Truly,Billy and Alvin are hiding behind a dry stone wall,it’s from the episode Watching the Clock,the lane is Clough Field Lane at the bottom of Greave Road at Hade Edge,and the body of water is Holme Styes reservoir.
Howard : It’s where young people often used to come in those days
Marina : Young people ! Oh Howard it’s not everyone that realises I still fit into that category
Howard : Cleggy reminded me,it’s such a nice quiet spot
Marina : It is quiet,cut off,remote,isolated,it’s a good job that I’m confident that you’ll behave like a gentleman
Howard : Haven’t I always
Marina : (rolls eyes) Every single time
View attachment 4825View attachment 4826
We have stumbled across Hade Edge I think the pub there has been used in LOTSW nice little village with a farm shop if I can remember

Back