Hade Edge and the Needlework or Wrestling tree.

Douglas Enwright

Dedicated Member
That’s just my name for it,there were endless scenes filmed here over the years,including the fake stone circle in Welcome to Earth,and the final fight scene in Enter the Finger,but whenever I walk here and see this tree,what I see is Howard and Marina discussing Needlework or wrestling while unbeknown to them Cleggy is stuck up the tree above them,btw there is no clock tower that you can see,just beautiful views of Holme styes reservoir,Hade Edge is one of those places like New Mill,so familiar to us all but barely gets any recognition,it’s just 2 miles from the centre of Holmfirth yet people travel miles to go there yet never visit here where many episodes were filmed,it’s time places like New Mill and Hade Edge were recognised as beautiful places where Summer Wine fans can visit and see the places they are so familiar with,Barry and Glenda’s house is here,right next to this scenery,on a street called Green Abbey,I took a look but didn’t take a photo as there were two cars on the drive and I wanted to respect their privacy,from Barry and Glenda’s house and this lovely location to Sid’s cafe is just 2.1 miles.
Here is Howard and Marina,thinking they’ve found a quiet place,but Cleggy is stuck up the tree and Truly,Billy and Alvin are hiding behind a dry stone wall,it’s from the episode Watching the Clock,the lane is Clough Field Lane at the bottom of Greave Road at Hade Edge,and the body of water is Holme Styes reservoir.
Howard : It’s where young people often used to come in those days
Marina : Young people ! Oh Howard it’s not everyone that realises I still fit into that category
Howard : Cleggy reminded me,it’s such a nice quiet spot
Marina : It is quiet,cut off,remote,isolated,it’s a good job that I’m confident that you’ll behave like a gentleman
Howard : Haven’t I always
Marina : (rolls eyes) Every single time
FACA1105-1B25-497B-B14B-81DEB3B0796C.jpeg70B4FE78-88AE-488F-A1DB-AA6597CFCA3E.jpeg

Howard and Marina find their quiet spot,but what now,Cleggy is in the tree above them,and Truly,Billy and Alvin are hiding behind the dry stone wall.
Go down Greave Road next to Brindon Addey the famous butchers shop in Hade edge,and at the bottom is Clough Field road and the stile and this tree and reservoir.
Howard : Alone at last
Marina : It feels very like it ! Once she’s alone at last a girl can’t help wondering what comes next
Howard : I thought you might have some ideas,all my planning goes into getting us alone at last
Marina : (sarcastically) you should have said,I could have brought some embroidery
Howard : It’s years since I’v done any embroidery
Marina : A mutual interest !
Howard : I was always torn between needlework and becoming a wrestler,flyweight of course
Marina : So those are the options ? needlework or ….wrestling
Well,since we haven’t brought any needlework …
Howard : (gulps) I’m not sure it would work without a referee
Marina : I shall just have to trust youHoward,not to cheat
Cleggy : (up tree) If you could help me down from this tree,I’d be available to ensure fair play
64AAD254-064E-4C4B-A421-97EDBA8C33EA.jpeg8E74B5EC-C65E-45FA-A4DE-BFD26E99D71A.jpeg

Howard and Marina jump up from their cosy spot at the foot of the tree while Truly,Billy and Alvin emerge clapping from behind the dry stone wall,the tree looks bare and you wouldn’t want to sit at the base of it,but it’s mid winter and I’m sure in the summer it will be much more grassy and appealing,this is my favourite tree,I have so many lovely Summer Wine memories and I love to sit here in the summer,more worrying is how the dry stone wall has deteriorated without any upkeep,I’v seen this such a lot lately on my walks in various places.
3942AD70-B245-4682-8F04-7E536142C01E.jpeg8BD66ABC-9239-40F5-9CFB-B82B6E56B500.jpegBC7E5B1C-92EC-4AE9-AD65-E6ADDF779151.jpeg9311A67D-9829-47FF-9302-02702990105C.jpeg

This stile is in the same place,you can see the tree in the background and the field where they filmed Welcome to Earth and Enter the Finger and many many more,this scene is from Who’s that with Barry and Glenda- It’s not Barry and Glenda,it’s on Clough Field road at Hade Edge,looks a bit run down now though and I prefer the old style wooden five bar gates to the metal ones
6C6184DD-42E6-4258-A82D-5AADF773AC98.jpeg2EF82FFE-099E-4DA0-A3BB-6161AE410472.jpeg

Truly,Billy and Cleggy on Clough Field Lane at Hade Edge,I was a bit unsure if this was the spot because of the difference in the top of the dry stone wall,but I watched the scene,and I know this lane very well,and this is the spot,it’s from the episode The Miraculous curing of old Goff Helliwell,it’s on Clough Field Lane at the bottom of Greave Road in Hade Edge.
Cleggy : Of all the unsolved questions of the universe,what really intrigues me is ..what does Howard need with a ladder
Billy : When you’re his size you’re bound to need a ladder,Howard needs a ladder to fasten his boots
Cleggy : I don’t like it,it’s sinister
Truly : What’s sinister about a ladder ?
Cleggy : In the wrong hands it’s sinister,he’s up to something,and sooner or later it’s going to involve me
B0016DBC-8A04-4304-915F-837800E63291.jpeg7DB1937A-79FB-4B02-A065-332B58584499.jpeg

From the episode The Miraculous curing of old Goff Helliwell,it’s at the juncation of Greave road and Clough Field road at Hade Edge,a two minute walk from Barry and Glenda’s house,and 2 miles from Holmfirth,you can see the rain starting to come down in the now photo,in this scene Smiler informs Truly,Cleggy and Billy that old Goff Helliwell is going to die next Tuesday
69C173FA-28A9-4051-AD89-F8D4C4C4BE78.jpegFE044F85-8316-4E8B-8F76-1168A53B1750.jpeg

This is on the same lane,Clough Field Lane at Hade Edge,near Barry and Glenda’s house,it’s from the episode Barry becomes a psychopathic killer but only part time,it shows Truly,Cleggy and Billy walking along the lane,and then the gateway where they find the tyre and Billy decides to roll down the hill to the water,Holme Styes reservoir
11D426EC-D9E5-4F7C-B0AF-1E099AE03163.jpegE6CE3FE7-1897-4376-BAEF-C37ED3D0ECBD.jpeg7CAA8F21-A389-4207-852B-FEA944E27EDC.jpeg51BB0293-668A-4A57-B5DA-0A0A45498905.jpeg

This is on Long Ing Road,off Greave Road on your left before you get to Clough Field Road at Hade Edge,it’s from the episode The Frenchies are coming and this is when the hail stones started coming down and I had to end the walk before I would have liked,Billy is just about to appear from the wall and startle Tom and Smiler,it may not look it but the weather was atrocious ,there were other scenes filmed here,it’s a lovely area,but I’ll save those for another day,Barry and Glenda’s house is a minutes walk away,and it’s two miles from Sid’s cafe
969984EA-DAEB-48E9-AA3A-795DA44871E3.jpeg1E591BFE-B4E7-46EC-B460-2DD24564CE6F.jpeg

Finally,after visiting Barry and Glenda’s house,I called at the Fox House,right next to Seymour’s cottage,it’s on Flint Lane and it’s 2 miles from Barry and Glenda’s house the other side of Holmfirth,this scene is from The McDonagh’s of Jameson street,I would have liked to have had a pint outside like our beloved cast did,but maybe in the summer.
Take care all,
Love,Chuffer x
EF45E1C5-85C8-4C79-959C-E5FF9FCA9F84.jpeg6817D530-9386-4393-88B6-25782E896BCD.jpeg

Thanks again for your excellent location photos Chuffer, Very much appreciate the effort you put into doing them.
In good weather a walk through the forestry commission from Hade to Holme styes will take you past the CD cover photo, although the stonework has been rebuilt & you need to jump over the wall to see it from the same angle.20220218_090731.jpg Keep up the good work Chuffer.

Thanks again for your excellent location photos Chuffer, Very much appreciate the effort you put into doing them.
In good weather a walk through the forestry commission from Hade to Holme styes will take you past the CD cover photo, although the stonework has been rebuilt & you need to jump over the wall to see it from the same angle.View attachment 4847 Keep up the good work Chuffer.
Thanks Graham,that’s a lovely photo,I’v never seen that before and didn’t know about the cd,I’ll look into that.

Brilliant photos and story Chuffer you deserved that pint at the Fox House that tree and scenery is paramount in the context of the show but as you say people head straight to Sid's or Nora's and think that's it for a little effort they can see so much more and without sounding like a broken record the Councils in the area could do so much more albeit having to strike a balance to preserve the peace and ambience I imagine you find around these scenes. What a composite actor Peter Sallis was , seeing a clock tower when none were there. Thank you for posting this :)

My pleasure captain,thankyou for the kind comments as always,yes I agree,some of these locations are not far away either,Hade Edge is 2 miles from Sid‘s cafe,and New Mill is the next village if you drive in the direction towards the webcam opposite Bamfords.
I’v always thought it would have been a good idea to put just one bench at each of these beauty spots with a discreet plaque on it explaining the area was used in Last of the Summer Wine,and the council or whoever could produce a map showing the sites of these benches,much like Terry’s locations map but on a smaller scale,it would encourage people to get out in the fresh air and exercise,and people could tick off the benches and areas they had visited,people love a good hunt and ticking off a list,and of course they would be permanent reminders of what wonderful things once happened there.
Thankyou again x

Thank you as always Chuffer, it's like having a personal tour of Summer Wine Land. I really appreciate the then and now photographs accompanied by transcribed dialogue from the scenes. It must take you an age to get it all put together, but it really is a joy to read.
Thank you so much Eithne,it makes it worthwhile though to know that,coming up in March,on the 3rd,it will be 20 years since Sadly,Madly,Bradley was first aired and I’m hoping to do a Whoops type day,I absolutely love Bradley and wished he could have appeared more,being Billy’s brother in law was the perfect excuse for him to make appearances,I love some of the dialogue in that episode and will post that if the sun doesn’t go out and if we don’t get hit by a meteorite.
Thankyou again,it’s such a thrill for me to know that people in Texas and elsewhere in the world are looking at them x

Back