Gentle Comedies

Appreciate it's not strictly a comedy but do any of you overseas viewers get Heartbeat a police series set in Yorkshire in the 1960's it has it's funny moment and is a very gentle watch?

We were up at Goathland last month in our camper. The pub was closed up, I hope it hasn't become a covid victim. On a brighter note the row of shops were open along with Scrips garage & Greengrasses place were doing a roaring trade, campsite full.

I've got into watching these of late, there are many parallels with LOTSW, the beautiful Yorkshire countryside and a much slower pace of life. I also watch this for the amazing classic cars they use. If anyone ever visits Summerwine Country, I'd recommend they take a trip to North Yorkshire and Goathland where this is filmed. The heritage train from Whitby to Pickering which takes in Goathland as a stop is one of those things everyone should do during their lifetime.

In case you're interested my usual favorite Dailymotion appears to have loads to watch on their site, he's the first episode...

Youve got my vote on that one Barry. Kate even drove a Triumph Herald aswell. A local Yorkshire plate, JUM.
You could argue that was a flaw, he was supposed to be moving up from London having never been to Yorkshire before yet he drives a Yorkshire registered car!!!!!

Don't forget the spin off from Heartbeat called The Royal which was set in Scarborough where The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper & Cheering Up Gordon were filmed.

Oh wow, thanks for that clip, Barry. Not familiar with the show Heartbeat but skipped about in the first few minutes to get a feel for it and to see who is in it. Immediately recognized a few actors in it that I like. Derek Fowlds - Yes, Minister & Yes, Prime Minister, Bill Maynard - The Gaffer, Selwyn Froggit. Niamh Cusack reminds me of one of the ladies from The Liver Birds but I found that is not her. I see Geoffrey Hughes / Onslo is also in there according to Wiki.

Looks interesting, thanks. Will need to watch more of the show.

I went to see Heartbeat the play at the theatre a few years ago, it had a handful of the cast and it was surprisingly good!

Back