Gentle Comedies

I was reading reviews on Still Open All Hours, which I really enjoy. Not surprisingly, it is considered inferior to the original (although I like them equally). However, one comment that a lot of people made was they had a hard time with the narrative that Granville was able to become a shrewd business owner like Arkwright. People considered him too thick in the original to be so clever in the spin-off.

Any thoughts on this? I think it is perfectly believable to become Arkwright-like after so many years of working under him.
I was listening to an interview with David Jason recently on the wireless and he said that the BBC was very keen to find a new comedy outlet for him as he was such a draw. After struggling for new ideas it was decided that Roy would write a new series of OAH, as previously mentioned on this forum I'm sure the early series of SOAH used repurposed unused scripts from LOTSW, which I think you see. Personally I didn't think it worked too well, the original was centred around the magnificent Ronnie Barker. I just didn't think the idea worked to well, and the ghost of Arkwright joke I felt didn't work. I suppose it'd be like a new series of KUA without Hyacinth with Richard as the main character! That said an 'also ran' comedy by RC is still much better than most so it was certainly watchable. Still felt David Jason is an amazing actor just he was miscast in this. He has done some much worse comedies anyone remember The Royal Bodyguard :eek::eek:

I suppose comedy royalty like David Jason, Ronnie B, Ronnie C all faced a rocky road to get to that status they have appeared in shows that are barely average but then they are cast in an absolute pearl and become national comedy heroes . I know others won't agree but another of the comedy Royalty Spike Milligan before he made the groundbreaking Q series [ this is where I expect disagreement] penned and starred in the awful Curry and Chips. Ronnie B who was an accomplished writer penned Clarence[under one of his pseudonyms] and starred in it with our very own Jo Tewson on paper it was bound to be a hit but it floundered and received poor reviews.

I suppose comedy royalty like David Jason, Ronnie B, Ronnie C all faced a rocky road to get to that status they have appeared in shows that are barely average but then they are cast in an absolute pearl and become national comedy heroes . I know others won't agree but another of the comedy Royalty Spike Milligan before he made the groundbreaking Q series [ this is where I expect disagreement] penned and starred in the awful Curry and Chips. Ronnie B who was an accomplished writer penned Clarence[under one of his pseudonyms] and starred in it with our very own Jo Tewson on paper it was bound to be a hit but it floundered and received poor reviews.
I'd agree with you 95% there's some rotters for them, ie Curry & Chips & Sorry! to name a few, in fact I can't really think of anything Ronnie C did outside the Two Ronnies which was outstanding. Where I dare slightly disagree CC is Ronnie B, I felt he was simply different class and he made anything he appeared in successful and I'm sure he chose his series very carefully. Even comedies such as Clarence & The Magnificent Evans which are regarded as his less successful are outstanding when compared against most of their peers. On the subject of RB, one of his last cameo roles as Churchills butler in The Gathering Storm was absolutely sublime which was a straight part. I know you're a great fan of RB and his work and you're not doing him a disservice :) My long point is I just cannot think of a 'stinker' he's been part of, but I'm sure you may correct me with your broader knowledge of comedy CC :):):)

Codfanglers, I can understand that. Took me a few episodes to get into Monarch.

Hey Barry, you gave me a good idea ... a Not Keeping Up Appearances with Richard and Onslo. Onslo trying to teach Richard how to relax and enjoy a pint at the pub. Kinda an older Men Behaving Badly style. Haha!

Last edited:
My long point is I just cannot think of a 'stinker' he's been part of, but I'm sure you may correct me with your broader knowledge of comedy CC

I suppose all he starred in could not really be described as real stinkers but for me after the sheer brilliance of Porridge the contrast of Going Straight is as close as it gets , personally for me it was such a huge disappointment it comes close .

Hey Barry, you gave me a good idea ... a Not Keeping Up Appearances with Richard and Onslo. Onslo trying to teach Richard how to relax and enjoy a pint at the pub. Kinda an older Men Behaving Badly style. Haha!
Good point! The series ended when Patricia decided she wanted to move on, all the other actors wanted to continue but they decided it wouldn't work without the premise of the comedy. Clearly a correct call, but I feel the same should have been the same with OAH without Arkwright.

I suppose all he starred in could not really be described as real stinkers but for me after the sheer brilliance of Porridge the contrast of Going Straight is as close as it gets , personally for me it was such a huge disappointment it comes close .
I agree and I'd have been interested if it would've continued even if Richard hadn't died to prematurely, I suspect probably not.

There was one episode where Onslo was trying to loosen up Richard in the Pub. Richard is my favorite character in KUA, even more than Hyacinth. However, his humor is primarily from the torment he receives from her, so I don't see this idea working without Patricia Routledge. :)

There was a 'best of' Video a number of years ago called Life Lessons from Onslow which was basically him introducing snippets from the series. I've never seen it but it's the nearest we'll get to a spin off!Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 18.08.56.png

In Roy Clarke's eyes Granville becomes Arkwright and Leroy becomes Granville hoping for a dalliance with a young lady and perhaps having more success . What I detest most is the pursuit of Granville romantically by the Black Widow, Mrs Featherstone. In OAH she detested Granville and dismissed him as a young man who shouldn't be exploring the womanly wiles of the more mature woman . The pursuit just doesn't make sense and discredits the show totally.

In Roy Clarke's eyes Granville becomes Arkwright and Leroy becomes Granville hoping for a dalliance with a young lady and perhaps having more success . What I detest most is the pursuit of Granville romantically by the Black Widow, Mrs Featherstone. In OAH she detested Granville and dismissed him as a young man who shouldn't be exploring the womanly wiles of the more mature woman . The pursuit just doesn't make sense and discredits the show totally.
Absolutely true, and I agree - though it was explained that The Black Widow has watched Granville mature over the years.

I suppose the reason this scenario came about is because Stephanie Cole was so young in OAH, and made up to look older, that when SOAH came along she was at the right age her character was supposed to be, and it would have been a waste not to use her.

A little bit of artistic license which messes up the time continuity slightly, but all to make the show as much as the old days were.

Personally I think they made some things too similar as before, such as still using the old till and still not having their own van.

I think there would have been fresh comedy in a 1990s electronic till going wrong, and an ageing 1990s van conking out, rather than repeating the old routines that Ronnie Barker did so well.

It should have been left to David Jason put his own stamp on the new programme, as he would have been more than capable of this.

I think they tried to make him to much like Arkwright, Granville would of binned the till at the first chance, even a modern till could have it quirks, he would of had his own transport
I agree... they could have had an electronic one that wouldnt open instead..
I havent seen it, but love David Jasons work in anything... He will be a huge loss when he goes of old age.

As I've said earlier SOAH was built around David Jason, so I think that was the reason for its shortcomings in my opinion, towards the end episodes were becoming very repetitive. I think RC has such an amazing fertile mind he would have been better writing a new comedy from the ground upwards that way he wouldn't have had to shoehorn characters in and he could go in any direction he'd wanted.

Back