Gentle Comedies

I've just finished the entire series' of To The Manor Born, I have to say I found it adorable. It's not particularly funny but you just get drawn into their world. I'm wondering whether it's worth watching the 2007 Christmas Special or whether that will ruin the magic of the original series??

I've only watched a the first season but Monarch of the Glen (albeit a drama with comedic elements) seems worth the watch.

Can anyone tell me (without spoilers) if it gets better or worse?

I couldn't find it mentioned here at quick glance, but I'm currently enjoying After Henry a wonderfully gentle comedy featuring the brilliant Prunella Scales & Joan Sanderson. I recommend watching this, they're all on YouTube it fits the Gentle Comedy genre perfectly!

I couldn't find it mentioned here at quick glance, but I'm currently enjoying After Henry a wonderfully gentle comedy featuring the brilliant Prunella Scales & Joan Sanderson. I recommend watching this, they're all on YouTube it fits the Gentle Comedy genre perfectly!
It started off as a radio show BC, that was good, and as you say, translated very well into a TV sitcom. A very watchable comedy..
Prunella Scales, a really talented actress and I think would've been grand as a 'one off' character in Summer Wine.
Joan Sanderson was the archetypal take no prisoners, battle axe, only posher.

Great news, thanks Barry. I like Prunella and have only seen her in Fawlty Towers. I do believe she was also in something with Richard Briers called Marriage Lines.

Oops, forgot she was also in an episode or two of Lucky Fella with David Jason.

@Inky Batty yes I'll try and catch the radio series after I've finished the TV series, yes Elanor reminds me of a protocol Hyacinth Bucket, she's such a snob!

I also love the cameo of Pru's real life husband Timothy West as the camp TV director :D:D

Here in DC, there is WETA UK which of course runs all British shows including LOTSW twice a day. Lately, occasionally in the noon time slot, the screen has been blank meaning that the "GO" button did not click and then they have to fill in with Antiques Roadshow. Also, they are running them in order but doing a lot of routine skipping like about 5 episodes each time are omitted. Also I found out that they are no longer going to run East Enders. A decision handed down from the Beeb. Who knows what's going on.

Here in DC, there is WETA UK which of course runs all British shows including LOTSW twice a day. Lately, occasionally in the noontime slot, the screen has been blank meaning that the "GO" button did not click and then they have to fill in with Antiques Roadshow. Also, they are running them in order but doing a lot of routine skipping like about 5 episodes each time are omitted. Also I found out that they are no longer going to run East Enders. A decision handed down from the Beeb. Who knows what's going on.
Yes, in the evening slot on WETA-UK, they stopped the later episodes to go to the earlier episodes. Then, after Foggy's 2nd or 3rd season, they jumped to where they left off, Season 29, I think. I believe they played that until the show ended, played a few Christmas specials, and then jumped to Compo's very last episodes. I am giving it a break a bit. I have seen the later eras recently, so I will wait until they go back to the early episodes.

Just re-watching Porridge the movie on Youtube :)

Forgot how good it was!
I love the Peter Vaughan - Grouty character... Mr Mackay, Godber and of course Ronnie.... and .... i dont see anyone that wasnt brilliant in it!!!
I didn’t see a Goodie!;):p

I would add Bunny and McLaren to that list they are definite pluses . I absolutely love the episode when Godber is taking an exam and those two plus Fletcher think up the ruse with the planet question to nab the exam questions and answers, especially as they walk down the stairs and Mackay asks what they have got their , they respond "Balls Mr Mackay" to which he replies "why are they different sizes" and Fletch replies " That's life" just brilliant writing.

Re-watched a few Going Straight episodes the other day for a Ronnie Barker fix after seeing the Four Candles skit on the you tube for the umpteenth time. :)

Re-watched a few Going Straight episodes the other day for a Ronnie Barker fix after seeing the Four Candles skit on the you tube for the umpteenth time. :)

Yes I always watch the reactions to that sketch on You Tube. I also love "The Swear Box" sketch as well. So funny. :)

By the Sea starring The Two Ronnies - one of the greatest pieces of comedy to be enjoyed by the whole family.

Back