Funniest Television Couple Ever?

I gotta say Howard and Marina, but I don't know if ya'll consider them a couple. LOL Onslow and Daisy from "Keeping Up Appearances" were funny too. I don't watch a lot of American TV ( I don't really watch a lot of TV at all! ) but I would say Fred and Ethel from "I Love Lucy" were funny. I watch TV with my mom sometimes, but not very often, so these are just the people I see on the shows she watches.

I'd nominate Waldorf and Statler but someone is bound to tell me they don't count. How about Kermit and Miss Piggy?

I know this isn't television but does anyone from Britain remember "The Glums" a radio program back in the early sixties ?? I think Jimmy Edwards was the star but Ron and Ethel were the two I remember best, they were such funny characters and hilarious voices .

I know this isn't television but does anyone from Britain remember "The Glums" a radio program back in the early sixties ?? I think Jimmy Edwards was the star but Ron and Ethel were the two I remember best, they were such funny characters and hilarious voices .

Ron was voiced by a guy called Dick Bentley and Eth was voiced by June Whitfield (whom we know as Nellie , Travis' wife) Yes I remember The Glums. :wink: :35:

Not sure you would consider them an actual couple,
but there were two of them:

Arkwright and Granville

Funniest couple I know

chuck

I know this isn't television but does anyone from Britain remember "The Glums" a radio program back in the early sixties ?? I think Jimmy Edwards was the star but Ron and Ethel were the two I remember best, they were such funny characters and hilarious voices.

The programme was actually titled 'Take It From Here' starring Jimmy Edwards and Dick Bentley (an Australian comedy actor). The Glums was a sketch within the programme.

Oliver Wendell Douglas and Lisa Douglas (Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor) in Green Acres take some beating, but I agree, Wally and Nora were great. "Talk to me, you never talk to me" *Look at the view we've come to look at the view"

I have been writing in the past about how incredibly funny Nora and Wally are, especially in Series 8. Are they really the funniest couple ever in television history(American or British shows)?

The only couple that might come close to me is Basil and Cybil Fawlty. That was a great combination!

In American TV, perhaps Archie and Edith Bunker of All in the Family might be best. However, some of you might even stick within Summer Wine to vote for their favorite; Sid and Ivy or Howard and Pearl. Actually, Richard and Hyacinth Bucket are very good too.

But for me, it is Wally and Nora first, and Basil and Cybil Fawlty in a close second.

Your thoughts?

I must go with Basil & Cybil ... her chilling calm off-set his mad antics making them funnier ... also she, like most of the cast was quite shorter than he so the contrast added to the visual humour in many scenes.

My all time favorite funniest couple in British television is Hyacinth and Richard.

favorite funniest LOTSW couple is Nora and Wally

favorite funniest couple in American Television is Fred and Ethel Mertz from I Love Lucy

Jim and "Barb" Royle perhaps. Not a couple but father and son I give you Albert and Harold K Steptoe . Sid James and Peggy Mount were sparring work colleagues in George and the Dragon . Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewell were a warring brother and sister in Nearest and Dearest

Tom and Barbara Good from The Good Life. They were a great television couple! So were Jerry and Margot Leadbetter, also from The Good Life!

How about George and Gracie? Especially Gracie. Even in my younger quicker off the wall days I could never come up with the kind of thinking she had.

George Burns and Gracie Allen I assume you mean Bob ? We didn't see much of them this side of the pond but the clips I have seen they have to be up there . I haven't read the thread so apologies if it already been said but your side of the pond would surely give a shout out for Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

George Burns and Gracie Allen I assume you mean Bob ? We didn't see much of them this side of the pond but the clips I have seen they have to be up there . I haven't read the thread so apologies if it already been said but your side of the pond would surely give a shout out for Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
They went off the air the year I was born so didn't see until fairly recently. We've got tons of baby boomer nostalgia TV these days.
The thread must have been truncated because I didn't see that Electrical Entwistle had already posted about them.
I not only didn't think "I Love Lucy" was funny, but depressing and irritating.

Back