FOTSW - September 1939

I bought 6, forced my husband to eat one so I ended up eating 5... :-\
Yummy ;D

I just thought about what you said about the 5p bag charge we bought something from the market and he gave it to us in a bag but didn't charge us! It wasn't until you mentioned it that it occurred to me. :eek:

I reckon one of Wales' atrocities is the way we have mercilessly and relentlessly inflicted male voice choirs on the world. Forgive us, please!!!

Yeah, sorry about the charge to get in. I usually come home via Monmouth. Thats free so far!! On the other hand, nip over the border into Wales for your prescriptions. They don't cost a penny here. Course, we charge you 5p for the carrier bag to take them home in......Can't say my country make much sense. Not even to us! Which beach did you visit?

Rhi, pardon me if I sound totally ignorant because I don't know fully of what I am talking about.

I am under the impression that anything faulty with Wales is well compensated by the production of the best ferrets. This is at least my impression from Compo.

****: There will unfortunately always be those who like to twist the knife at any opportunity, just to show that they can, it's nothing more than small minded, ignorant bullying in my opinion, pay them no heed my love.
After the way the British treated a large part of the world during our days of Empire, we are the last ones who should be pointing a finger at what any other nation went through or did in the past...or present.
I have friends that were thrown out of Uganda in 1973, by the despot Amin, so by that token, they should be blamed for what he did?...i think not.
You are well respected and admired on this forum ****, what happened some 70 years ago happened, the majority have moved on, the others are just small minded idiots.

G ; ) x

Thank you, it really means a lot to get reassurance from you and all the others :). And if a bully comes along and thinks he needs to twist the knife (I even had that on youtube in a LOTSW video), I remind myself that if even Peter, being someone who literally survived the war, can be close friends with me and bears no grudge, I´m good enough for anybody. The problem is not the idiots, it´s mostly in my head, as it is with many other Germans.

It must be a bit weird. I don't know how the world views your land. I suppose we all have generalised views of nationalities. My vision of Germany has always been one of beautiful scenery and old, elegant castles. Nowadays, of course, the beautiful Boris Becker (in tennis shorts) would have to feature somewhere! Those eyes!

I forgot the name of the philosopher who thought this:

A human can have two of these properties. The third is excluded.

1> A human can be intelligent.
2> A human can be decent.
3> A human can be a nationalist.

If you are intelligent and decent then you are not a nationalist.
If you are a nationalist and intelligent then you are not decent.
If you are decent and a nationalist then you are not intelligent.

It must be a bit weird. I don't know how the world views your land. I suppose we all have generalised views of nationalities. My vision of Germany has always been one of beautiful scenery and old, elegant castles. Nowadays, of course, the beautiful Boris Becker (in tennis shorts) would have to feature somewhere! Those eyes!

I don´t know how the world views Germany either, I guess we must ask the world ;). Thank you, I like your view, but the bit about Boris Becker made me laugh, I always saw him rather the opposite and wondered why all the females were after him... But it´s an advantage if you don´t actually understand him, his way of speaking is rather unattractive, it´s like "ah, umm, ehhh" and sounds a bit stupid in general really, though he isn´t, he can´t help it, it´s just the way he speaks, not the content.

You can't keep the grudges all your life. For Malta it was the Germans and the Italians who were using us for target practice during the war. The older folks still have a grudge against both countries. I have relatives who were bombed in the war. But it has been many years now. I use to take foreign students in my home. Some were german boys and they use to tell me that when they met Maltese elders in public they kept mentioning the war to them. These boys who were in their teens said to me that they had nothing to do with the war. This is true. They can't be blamed for what happened years ago.

I understand that Yorkshire and Lancashire are still fighting The War of the Roses!

Here is an interesting tidbit for my dear Brit friends. My hometown is Lancaster, Pennsylvania (named after Lancashire and known as the Red Rose City. The next big town s York (named after Yorkshire and named the White Rose City).
I guess we have our own version of the war of the Roses every year when the high school football star players from Lancaster County play the all-stars from York County.

Here is an interesting tidbit for my dear Brit friends. My hometown is Lancaster, Pennsylvania (named after Lancashire and known as the Red Rose City. The next big town s York (named after Yorkshire and named the White Rose City).
I guess we have our own version of the war of the Roses every year when the high school football star players from Lancaster County play the all-stars from York County.

I am probably being pedantic but I would suggest Lancaster, Pennsylvania is named after the city of Lancaster and not the county of Lancashire. Interesting that in US it is Lancaster County and not Lancashire. Might indicate something of English language usage back in the seventeenth/eighteenth centuries. Likewise, York, Pennsylvania is named after the city of York and not the county of Yorkshire. The Battle of the Roses was fought between the Houses of Lancaster and York, not Lancashire and Yorkshire. The fact that Lancaster was the ultimate winner is demonstrated by the fact that the monarch is Duke of Lancaster whereas it is an offspring of the monarch is Duke of York (and not the oldest, the heir, who is Duke of Cornwall and Prince of Wales except in Scotland where he is Duke of Rothesay).

I note with interest the York County, Pennsylvania was created in 1749 (anniversary of 19 August is approaching) from Lancaster County.

I am probably being pedantic but I would suggest Lancaster, Pennsylvania is named after the city of Lancaster and not the county of Lancashire. Interesting that in US it is Lancaster County and not Lancashire. Might indicate something of English language usage back in the seventeenth/eighteenth centuries. Likewise, York, Pennsylvania is named after the city of York and not the county of Yorkshire. The Battle of the Roses was fought between the Houses of Lancaster and York, not Lancashire and Yorkshire. The fact that Lancaster was the ultimate winner is demonstrated by the fact that the monarch is Duke of Lancaster whereas it is an offspring of the monarch is Duke of York (and not the oldest, the heir, who is Duke of Cornwall and Prince of Wales except in Scotland where he is Duke of Rothesay).

I note with interest the York County, Pennsylvania was created in 1749 (anniversary of 19 August is approaching) from Lancaster County.

You are probably right but can someone answer this for me? Isn't Lancaster part of Lancashire and York part of Yorkshire? In Pennsylvania, the town of Lancaster is the center of Lancaster County and York is the center of York Counties. Both counties are last areas of suburbs, tiny towns, farms, and woods. So to me, there "might" be a correlation with the city and county relationships in both countries.

As for the War of the Roses, I am sure the original British war of the Roses isn't centered around American Football!

You are probably right but can someone answer this for me? Isn't Lancaster part of Lancashire and York part of Yorkshire? In Pennsylvania, the town of Lancaster is the center of Lancaster County and York is the center of York Counties. Both counties are last areas of suburbs, tiny towns, farms, and woods. So to me, there "might" be a correlation with the city and county relationships in both countries.

I am not sure of your point and fear you missed mine. I was commenting on your original suggestions that Lancaster, Pennsylvania is named after Lancashire and York is named after Yorkshire. My point is that the cities, Lancaster and York came first by some centuries. So Lancaster gave its name to Lancashire and York gave its name to Yorkshire. In a sense, Lancashire means The County of Lancaster, and Yorkshire means the County of York. We have at least one county where this relationship is made very plain. We very, very rarely, if ever say Durhamshire. It is County Durham viz. County of Durham.

Yes, Lancaster is in Lancashire and is part of Lancashire in the sense that it is the County Town (administrative headquarters) of Lancashire and geographically. In contrast, York is geographically in Yorkshire and can be said to be geographically part of Yorkshire but as far as local government is concerned it is a separate unitary authority.

So, I reiterate, Lancaster, Pennsylvania is named after Lancaster, England and likewise, York Pennsylvania after the city of York.

I am not sure of your point and fear you missed mine. I was commenting on your original suggestions that Lancaster, Pennsylvania is named after Lancashire and York is named after Yorkshire. My point is that the cities, Lancaster and York came first by some centuries. So Lancaster gave its name to Lancashire and York gave its name to Yorkshire. In a sense, Lancashire means The County of Lancaster, and Yorkshire means the County of York. We have at least one county where this relationship is made very plain. We very, very rarely, if ever say Durhamshire. It is County Durham viz. County of Durham.

Yes, Lancaster is in Lancashire and is part of Lancashire in the sense that it is the County Town (administrative headquarters) of Lancashire and geographically. In contrast, York is geographically in Yorkshire and can be said to be geographically part of Yorkshire but as far as local government is concerned it is a separate unitary authority.

So, I reiterate, Lancaster, Pennsylvania is named after Lancaster, England and likewise, York Pennsylvania after the city of York.

You know, after posting my last message I realized exactly what you are saying. The American Lancasters and Yorks are named after the cities themselves. Therefor, I relate the counties of these two towns to Lancashire and Yorkshire. I think we are on the same page now, Big Unc.

Back