FOTSW - September 1939

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Whew! What an episode to end on, concluding with
the air raid siren and Foggy guarding the bridge.

This is my second time thru these two series, and
I liked it way better this time. Both the cast and the
characters are superb.

It is a bit unsettling to know that that was as far as Roy
could go given the times.

I must admit it is all very unsettling to me being "the enemy" they are talking about (especially having grown up with my grandparents living in our house, having heard many a war story), can´t help but feel a twinge of guilt and sadness. I don´t know now which episode it was, but there was Cleggy´s father listening to the radio and suddenly Hitler´s voice came out of it and it absolutely creeped me out, gave me goosebumps all over and I had to stop for a moment. The funny thing though, I couldn´t understand Hitler, I never can, even though it´s my own language ;D, he just rolls his R´s so bad and barks and shouts, it´s utter gibberish to me. I´m just glad Roy Clarke could turn even all that into comedy.

I must admit it is all very unsettling to me being "the enemy" they are talking about (especially having grown up with my grandparents living in our house, having heard many a war story), can´t help but feel a twinge of guilt and sadness. I don´t know now which episode it was, but there was Cleggy´s father listening to the radio and suddenly Hitler´s voice came out of it and it absolutely creeped me out, gave me goosebumps all over and I had to stop for a moment. The funny thing though, I couldn´t understand Hitler, I never can, even though it´s my own language ;D, he just rolls his R´s so bad and barks and shouts, it´s utter gibberish to me. I´m just glad Roy Clarke could turn even all that into comedy.

I some times wonder why we have to keep talking about such a nasty time in our history, but having read your post I see now that we do have to keep talking about it so that we don't repeat it. I do cringe at the way we (British) talk about Germans and Japanese especially in older programmes like Summer Wine. Lets hope that communication can help us not repeat the past. :)

It was a heartbreaking time for both countries. So much damage done and so many harsh memories. Both sides. We're friends now. Thats what counts. You're not the enemy they talk about, ****. You have no reason to feel any guilt or sadness. Those that led not just your country but others, too, into dark times can carry that load.

**** I wonder if you will be invited to the next bomber command dinner,when we went to the last one we did enjoy ourselves ;)

Thank you all, it´s so kind of you to remind me it´s not actually my fault. Some people keep making strange remarks though and you can´t help but feel a bit vulnerable, even if you are a German of my generation (born in 1980).
Yes Terry, that was more hilarious than anything else thank goodness. To explain what we are talking about to those who don´t know, about 2 years ago there was a charity event in honour of Frank Thornton at a hotel in London, Terry and I had both booked tickets. Peter Sallis was also there, I came with him, but Terry and I sat at a different table, Peter´s was occupied by other actors. The charity was for the war veterans from bomber command which none of us knew before, so when we were suddenly asked to honour them, sitting at a table far away from us thank god, those who knew me and myself couldn´t help but stare at each other and try to stifle our hysterics. There was a silly guy at our table who kept teasing me for being German though, not in a funny way. I didn´t pay him any attention, we were busy not to laugh into the dignified silence.
Something funny happened later that day, in the evening Peter and I attended a neighbourhood party with fireworks, and one went wrong and hit us. Our clothes got damaged and we had minor injuries, but we kept thinking of bomber command and I said "They finally got me now!", so this was thank god not a disaster to me, more of a laughing matter.
It´s different though when you watch something like FOTSW, it brings it emotionally near to you and you can´t help thinking "we could have killed all the actors back then" and things like that.

****, In reading these posts I thought I would give an opinion from "across the pond". Truthfully, I think every industrialized nation is guilty of some level of injustices. I have a certain amount of American patriotism, however, I avoid thinking of all of the injustices caused by my country, in the past and present. Thinking of such things too much would make me cringe.

I believe every country has a dark side to it, unfortunately.

I reckon one of Wales' atrocities is the way we have mercilessly and relentlessly inflicted male voice choirs on the world. Forgive us, please!!!

We are not the people our grandparents were.
I agree that all our countrys are guilty of war and mayhem at some point in are history , we should learn from that and move on. I think we have moved on alot and our children will move on more. We all have a lot to be sorry for, alot to be thankful for and a lot to be happy for. Live and let live. :D

I reckon one of Wales' atrocities is the way we have mercilessly and relentlessly inflicted male voice choirs on the world. Forgive us, please!!!

Rhi, not sure we re read to forgive of that yet ;D ;D ;D
But I'm sure in time we will ;D
By the way I was in Wales last weekend, beautiful absolutely beautiful, the beaches are so clean and tidy. The sea was clear and warm, I really felt that we were in another country, I would however like to know why you charged us £6 to get in but let us leave for free? ??? ;D

Yeah, sorry about the charge to get in. I usually come home via Monmouth. Thats free so far!! On the other hand, nip over the border into Wales for your prescriptions. They don't cost a penny here. Course, we charge you 5p for the carrier bag to take them home in......Can't say my country make much sense. Not even to us! Which beach did you visit?

Whew! What an episode to end on, concluding with
the air raid siren and Foggy guarding the bridge.

This is my second time thru these two series, and
I liked it way better this time. Both the cast and the
characters are superb.

It is a bit unsettling to know that that was as far as Roy
could go given the times.

I always loved this series. It was so true to life, as it was then. Any of my aunts or uncles could have been part of the scene. There were no teenagers for a start. Girls and boys went from being a school child, to being an adult in a night. And they did have proper respect for other people and their property. Friends have asked why it only ran for two series, but I feel it was right to stop when they did. Well done Roy Clarke.

We went to Porthcrawl, you mentioned earlier Saundersfoot, my daughter went there in May they had a great time she said the beach there was lovely too. ;D

Re: prescriptions, I buy a pre payment one every year I think its still cheaper than traveling to Wales Or Scotland but I must admit the scenery in both places is worth the price ;D
We thought the £6 was to try and discourage us English from visiting, we farther though this when the way out was free ;D But again the view from the bridge was worth it. :D

Porthcawl? Yeah thats about 20 minutes from my village. Also, a bit futher on are Llantwit Major and Ogmore. Both peaceful beaches with few visitors. Ideal for a quiet walk on the beach. A nice bit of Porthcawl (apart from the fresh, hot doughnuts in the fair) is Rest Bay. Nice views across to the north Devon coast.

I recorded FOTSW on VHS when it first aired, so through the last 20-odd years, i've been able to watch it whenever i wanted.
Now i have both DVD's, i don't watch them as much as i used to, i don't want to over do it and get to the point where i might get bored with seeing them too often, which did happen with some of the "Last of" episodes.
I don't think that there is a bad episode of "First of", i like all of them and i like to think that the way the young Seymour, who is obsessed with Miss Deborah Norbury, was not unsimilar to Compo's addiction to Norah.

****: There will unfortunately always be those who like to twist the knife at any opportunity, just to show that they can, it's nothing more than small minded, ignorant bullying in my opinion, pay them no heed my love.
After the way the British treated a large part of the world during our days of Empire, we are the last ones who should be pointing a finger at what any other nation went through or did in the past...or present.
I have friends that were thrown out of Uganda in 1973, by the despot Amin, so by that token, they should be blamed for what he did?...i think not.
You are well respected and admired on this forum ****, what happened some 70 years ago happened, the majority have moved on, the others are just small minded idiots.

G ; ) x

Porthcawl? Yeah thats about 20 minutes from my village. Also, a bit futher on are Llantwit Major and Ogmore. Both peaceful beaches with few visitors. Ideal for a quiet walk on the beach. A nice bit of Porthcawl (apart from the fresh, hot doughnuts in the fair) is Rest Bay. Nice views across to the north Devon coast.

We went to Rest Bay, I had the frest doughnuts :) I quite liked them, is there something I should no about them? ??? :)
We walked along the beach road it really was lovely. :)

No, nothing wrong with the doughnuts, they're fab, i just try to avoid them. I could never be accused of eating healthily!

I'm with you there, BlueprintZ, there is always some witless ninny trying to prove a point by being small minded. Armpits to them, I say.

Back