Fish & Chips

Re: Fish & Chips

As a wartime baby you can imagine that I have seen many dietry changes over the years. Mayonnaise is one of them. As a child and a young woman I did not even know what it was, we had brown sauce or tomato sauce and very occasionally, salad cream. Now we have to have 'mayo' with everything. My husband hates it. I do like it but I use it on salad or as a dip. I guess it comes down to what you are used to. I would still rather have salad cream! These differences are what makes the world go round. I recently had a visit from a friend from Atlanta. She tried everything, liked some, hated others. She took home a great bag of Mars Bars!!!!

Now that we have opened our appetite with fish n chips here is some usefull info for those who don't like or can't eat greasy foods.

Chips do not have to be deep fried or those you buy frozen (which in my opinion are disgusting) Here is how I do it:

Peel potatoes and wash them
If medium size cut in half and each half in about 6 pieces
Coat well in olive oil

To this you add salt, garlic powder, Sweet paprika (which gives a nice colour when done) a bit of sage and if you want to be a bit daring sprinkle some Aniseed. The Aniseed gives a nice aroma and taste.

toss again making sure the oil has covered everything
Place ina very hot oven.

Now that we have opened our appetite with fish n chips here is some usefull info for those who don't like or can't eat greasy foods.

Chips do not have to be deep fried or those you buy frozen (which in my opinion are disgusting) Here is how I do it:

Peel potatoes and wash them
If medium size cut in half and each half in about 6 pieces
Coat well in olive oil

To this you add salt, garlic powder, Sweet paprika (which gives a nice colour when done) a bit of sage and if you want to be a bit daring sprinkle some Aniseed. The Aniseed gives a nice aroma and taste.

toss again making sure the oil has covered everything
Place ina very hot oven.

Do you par boil them?

No I don't par boil them at all. Don't forget the sweet paprika as they come a golden brown.. Also i forgot to mention it is wise to use a non stick baking dish.. Enjoy.

By the way what time do we come over?????

When I do baked potato wedges, I slice them up, coat them with oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, parsley, and various season mixes. That is my "kids friendly way of doing them.

As for adults I like to spice it up. I also can add chili powder, crushed red pepper and perhaps cayenne pepper. I know that is a lot of pepper but I don't add it excessively. I like to call these "Fire Fries"

Now I previously commented on the use of ketchup, mayonnaise, and vinegar for chips. Perhaps it is an American thing, but I like to counter the spiciness of these chips with cool rich sour cream. Sour Cream is an American staple for Baked Potatoes.

Now someone mentioned that Compo is hired for doing the chips and that is great. But who is in charge of the fish?

Now if you excuse me, I need to go and work on my 20 greatest Summer Wine Hits for one of George's threads.

The best fish I had was when the batter was made with beer. It gives a crunch and an excellent taste.

Also the only time I like cream on my potatoes is when I have a jacket potato.

Back