Fish & Chips

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Fish & Chips

Though there are many many places where you can get good quality Fish & Chips, where have you been where they were terrible, my worst experience was at Harry Ramsdens north of Leeds, I do believe it is closed now and I am not surprised,worst I have ever had and a truly inflated price

One of the best I recall was Quayside in Pier Road Whitby but there are many good ones about,some folk are lucky and have a good one very close to home,our nearest decent one is 6 miles away

Re: Fish & Chips

Talking fish and chips in Whitby has anyone ever stuck it out in the queue for The Magpie cafe at Whitby?? We 've looked at the queue a couple of times and thought better of it. :eek:

Sorry but I should have added this to my previous post, we tried the Quayside and found it very nice and we thought value for money :D

Talking fish and chips in Whitby has anyone ever stuck it out in the queue for The Magpie cafe at Whitby?? We 've looked at the queue a couple of times and thought better of it. :eek:

We were like you, we gave it a miss.

Though there are many many places where you can get good quality Fish & Chips, where have you been where they were terrible, my worst experience was at Harry Ramsdens north of Leeds, I do believe it is closed now and I am not surprised,worst I have ever had and a truly inflated price

One of the best I recall was Quayside in Pier Road Whitby but there are many good ones about,some folk are lucky and have a good one very close to home,our nearest decent one is 6 miles away

Winking Willies fish and chips in Scarboro is one of the best i have been in and also Graveleys in Whitby and also Hollowgate Fisheries in Holmfirth is also a favourite the worst fish and chips i have had are down in kent in the town of Tonbridge they were cold when they served them up and when i complained they rushed to cook some fresh ones and they came out hot but not cooked fully never been there since.I am in Whitby on august 27th so i might queue for the Magpie if the queue isnt that long.Has Marsden got any good fish and chip shops.There is a Graveleys in Harrogate that is nice and Loch Fyne in Leeds city centre although it is quite expensive.

I'm lucky because I live in a seaside town and we have a lot of chippy's most of them are excellent,but you can't beat fish n chips on the sea front. :)

I'm lucky because I live in a seaside town and we have a lot of chippy's most of them are excellent,but you can't beat fish n chips on the sea front. :)

You are quite right George sea front chips are the best the only thing that annoys me are the seagulls that always try to steal them. :)

You are quite right George sea front chips are the best the only thing that annoys me are the seagulls that always try to steal them. :)

Some seagulls are so big they don't have to steal them.They just demand you hand them over :)

Have you been to ST IVES in Cornwall ?The gulls virtually wait just outside the chippy ! One guy we saw had his in a box and kept lifting the lid to get a chip . Next thing the gulls had taken the lot ,box and all! :eek:

Gotta say ... was not too happy with the fish and chips at
Compo's Fish and Chips up near Upperthong. And no
beer as well. Not going back there!!

I like my Fish and Chips with a good squeeze of Lemon or maybe tarter sauce. On my chips I like salt and a good vinegar. The reason I am saying this is because I noticed that in recent years I found that people ask for Mayonaise with their chips. I find it a bit disgusting.

How do you like your chips???????????????

The good old fashioned way salt and vinegar That is one of my favourite smells.... vinegar on hot chips ;D

Vinegar on chips? I have never had that, we put either Ketchup or Mayonnaise on them, or both... I can´t imagine chips with vinegar, interesting idea though.

Vinegar on chips? I have never had that, we put either Ketchup or Mayonnaise on them, or both... I can´t imagine chips with vinegar, interesting idea though.

Ooooh you have missed out Bunny!
Put your Vinegar on first, then the salt as the Vinegar makes it sticki to your chips. Then put the Ketchup on the side of the plate and dip the chips in it.
Chips without salt and vinegar is like Morecambe without Wise or Cleggy without Compo.

LOL, okay, that convinces me. What sort of vinegar do you use?

Just the usual Malt Vinegar that you get in Supermarkets.
We have Sarsons as a brand here, you will no doubt have something very similar.

Found a chippy that did spam fritters while visiting Great Yarmouth,hadnt had them for years so pleasant surprise :)

It may be a few years until I will be able to cross the pond and venture into Yorkshire. When I do, I will be sure to revisit this topic. One of the touristy things I want to do is have excellent fish and chips.

Ketchup, mayonnaise, or vinegar on chips? I believe it can depend on the consistency and style of the chips. The American standard is Ketchup. For **** and others, I believe Mayonnaise is the standard for mainland Europe. However, I often bake seasoned potato wedges and my wife and I prefer mayonnaise on that as well. Some places, primarily American fish and chips joints, also use vinegar.

On a previous thread I started about Northern British fishing Industry, I mentioned a British style restaurant my wife and I go to for fish and chips. It is worth the 60 minute drive. With The Americans' big appetites, I believe the main difference here is that rather than a one fish or two fish supper, I prefer this place's Three fish supper!

Back