Edited Dvd release

Denton Pette

Good evening, I was late discovering Last of The Summer Wine, and really only got on board as Brian Wilde came in as Foggy, I see there are complete dvd releases, but, have been led to believe certain episodes were edited before dvd release, would anyone know if this is true?, it seems odd that a popular show would be censored in this way.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of any of the DVD releases ever having been edited, though I could be wrong, we have a couple of members more "in the know", they'll probably have a more definite answer.
I know that when it is broadcast on UKTV and the likes a lot of episode scenes are truncated and butchered at will! which is so annoying.

I read online that particularly when "Milburn " or " Crusher" joined, some of his scenes were edited, I by then had tried to catch televised episodes as broadcast, and had an offer on the complete box set recently, but, I decided to wait. I do remember when a friend loaned me a dvd of "Men Behaving Badly" just at point where Neil Morrissey joined, one scene where Tony is preparing meal, and dancing to Ace of Spades on radio is heavily edited on dvd, possibly copyright issues on Motorhead song?

There are indeed a few missing scenes on the dvds, I at least 2 of Crushers scenes are not on the dvds. When some episodes are played on tv some lines are missed out too. Theres a line in Foggys Niblik that's edited out on tv and on the later released dvds.

Welcome Denton Pette. Probably best to buy the original individual dvds rather than the later box set. Not so easy, but worth the effort. Sometimes a large quantity is for sale in one lot, meaning you only need a few purchases to complete the set. Factor in postage costs as well.

Thank you Graham, I was late discovering the series, did not pick up until Brian Wilde joined, managed to purchase series with Michael Bates on VHS, yes i am that old, Strangely, it did not engage me as much as season 3 onwards, it seemed to mellow a little with Foggy, the Blamire episodes were perhaps a little less relaxed?, I have been led to believe there was a bit of off screen unease between Bill Owen, and Michael Bates, I realise this is real life,but, I choose to believe life could be as gentle and silly as depicted in the show.

Thank you for that prompt reply, I realise that you will not always gel with everybody you meet in life, and I suppose it is testament to the actors involved that they persevered and remained professional on screen. I was told that Barbara Cartland once said and I paraphrase here " Once you learn something, You cannot unlearn it" , and it seems there were other times that there was unrest in the Summer Wine camp, I choose to watch the episodes and just get swept up in the silly and sometimes charming episodes.

Last edited:
The scene of the ladies dancing and singing at the start of "Elegy For Fallen Wellies" has been cut out of the Region 1 DVD. Why they would do that is beyond me for such a pivotal point of exposition to why Compo perished. I actually have that dvd (from BBC's "Vintage" R1 series) and just popped it in to check. Not only is the scene missing the video quality is like a bootleg VHS copy.

It does say in the small print on some DVD & VHS cases, that certain edits have been made for "contractual reasons". Perhaps they change music, or edit out shots where, for example, a company logo appears. Perhaps for copyright reasons?

The scene of the ladies dancing and singing at the start of "Elegy For Fallen Wellies" has been cut out of the Region 1 DVD. Why they would do that is beyond me for such a pivotal point of exposition to why Compo perished. I actually have that dvd (from BBC's "Vintage" R1 series) and just popped it in to check. Not only is the scene missing the video quality is like a bootleg VHS copy.
The dancing scene was cut due to music copyright issues, separate copyright clearances may be needed in each territory, as restrictions on use and broadcast vary in different countries, depending on the composers and performers contracts.

I know that the 'pin up' calendar that Compo was studying is fuzzed over in later releases, now being considered inappropriate.

I recall there being some talk here that some episodes from the first two series were edited given their more mature content and the show being viewed as a family show by the time DVDs came along. IIRC, there is a scene in "Some Enchanted Evening" that was removed in some releases where Nora is getting ready to have dinner with Compo and sprays some perfume/scent down her blouse with a smile on her face. That scene is in my original UK DVD release version (which was ported over from VHS poorly) but I'm not sure its in the later all episodes set I have.

I recall there being some talk here that some episodes from the first two series were edited given their more mature content and the show being viewed as a family show by the time DVDs came along. IIRC, there is a scene in "Some Enchanted Evening" that was removed in some releases where Nora is getting ready to have dinner with Compo and sprays some perfume/scent down her blouse with a smile on her face. That scene is in my original UK DVD release version (which was ported over from VHS poorly) but I'm not sure its in the later all episodes set I have.
I once had a VHS copy of series 2, but Some Enchanted Evening was missing completely, perhaps for copyright reasons, or the lack of space on VHS? I knew it existed, but I never saw it until I got the series 1 & 2 DVD set. As far as I recall, the aforementioned scene of Nora spraying perfume down her blouse is not in my DVD episode.

Last edited:
Back