DVD release

Is this the one where Crusher was missing in the opening
scene in the Cafe in one version but there in the other?

The only missing Crusher scene I know of is in "The Loxley Lozenge." They ran that as the holiday special before Series 8. Crusher was in the original broadcast and that version has been shown in repeats, but in the Region 1 set I have it's been removed as Crusher wasn't introduced until "Keeping Britain Tidy" later in that series. Clearly "Loxley" was intended to air later.

The only missing Crusher scene I know of is in "The Loxley Lozenge." They ran that as the holiday special before Series 8. Crusher was in the original broadcast and that version has been shown in repeats, but in the Region 1 set I have it's been removed as Crusher wasn't introduced until "Keeping Britain Tidy" later in that series. Clearly "Loxley" was intended to air later.
I'm not sure when you bought your Series 8 set, but I bought mine in April of 2013 from Amazon and that scene IS on my DVD. I don't know if they took it out later or put it back in, but I'm glad I have the scene on mine. It's a great scene.

I'm not sure when you bought your Series 8 set, but I bought mine in April of 2013 from Amazon and that scene IS on my DVD. I don't know if they took it out later or put it back in, but I'm glad I have the scene on mine. It's a great scene.

Yep, I have it on mine as well. Got it right at release date in 2010.

FINALLY they have released the 2nd last box set (labeled series 29 & 30) here in Oz, just picked it up today.:)
The final set with the last 2 series is due for release next month (Actually WHILE I am in LOTSW country!):42:

I am glad to get hold of it but of course it is tainted with the sadness that there will be no more in future:cry2:.

Brian Johns said:
I am glad to get hold of it but of course it is tainted with the sadness that there will be no more in future:cry2:.

Brian - to me that's what hurts me the most.. That and the fact that they cant make shows like this anymore... haven't been able to for ... I cant remember but its a long tim e ago!

I really struggle to find a reason to turn the TV on anymore. the footy on the weekend, and... Umm.... ahhhh... yea that's it. :(

According the DVDs, Series 1&2, 7&8, 9&10 (9) and 11&12 (10 &11) all state being edited for contractual reasons on the back. All other series from 12 (13 if you use the DVD numbering) onwards do not state being edited. I guess the episode runtime would be a good way to guess if any episodes are actually edited.

I gather all but one of the specials are edited on those DVD releases. Seems it just the series episodes.

The only episodes I know for certain that are edited on the DVDs is The Loxley Lozenge and Catching Digby's Donkey (both funnily involving Crusher). Not entirely sure about the other series.

According the DVDs, Series 1&2, 7&8, 9&10 (9) and 11&12 (10 &11) all state being edited for contractual reasons on the back. All other series from 12 (13 if you use the DVD numbering) onwards do not state being edited. I guess the episode runtime would be a good way to guess if any episodes are actually edited.

I gather all but one of the specials are edited on those DVD releases. Seems it just the series episodes.

The only episodes I know for certain that are edited on the DVDs is The Loxley Lozenge and Catching Digby's Donkey (both funnily involving Crusher). Not entirely sure about the other series.

I will ask Jonathan if he knows the reason why on those 2 episodes

I know that in The Loxley Lozenge his scene was cut because it went out before Keeping Britain Tidy so they thought it might confuse people.

A scene in A Merry Heatwave has obviously been cut. When Clegg is telling Compo and Foggy what Nora said about thier Billy being happy to go if he could see another English Christmas. It comes right after the scene on Nora's steps.

That scene is intact on my DVD copy. Could it have been edited out on other releases?

I have the region 2 Playback release of series 3 and 4. The scene is very obviously cut on my copy as it cuts straight from Nora's steps immediately to Compo saying "Tha' what?" and Clegg's sentence "That's what she said, an English Christmas", when they are inside Compo's house. It appears the beginning of Clegg's dialog is missing.

Last edited:
A scene in A Merry Heatwave has obviously been cut. When Clegg is telling Compo and Foggy what Nora said about thier Billy being happy to go if he could see another English Christmas. It comes right after the scene on Nora's steps.
It Appears in the episode I have from the box set

Just one question: Who decides which order to actually air the episodes? Is it the Summer Wine production crew, or the BBC themselves. I would think the choice is made by the BBC, in which case some episodes may have to be edited to allow the plot to make sense, including, as in Crusher's case, the introduction of a new character.

I think the episode ordering is down to Roy except in a couple of cases, such as The Loxley Lozenge being promoted to a special from a regular series 8 episode.

I think the episode ordering is down to Roy except in a couple of cases, such as The Loxley Lozenge being promoted to a special from a regular series 8 episode.

I suppose it may come with the script. Or Roy Clarke and Alan Bell would have had some say.

Reactions: AJM
The other option is that we are to infer that there was more to the conversation that we weren't shown. We didn't need to because its explained in the next scene. Whether a fuller conversation was filmed or not, they may have simply decided it wasn't necessary during the editing process. If someone has a verson of that that is different, maybe it did air that way. If nobody does, then what we see is probably true to the original aired version.

Back