DVD release

hi newbie to the forum. does anybody know are any of the episodes cut on DVD as I am thinking of collecting the dvds. I have only mainly seen later episodes as I wasn't born to 1982 so 1st time seeing the early eps on drama.

hi newbie to the forum. does anybody know are any of the episodes cut on DVD as I am thinking of collecting the dvds. I have only mainly seen later episodes as I wasn't born to 1982 so 1st time seeing the early eps on drama.

Welcome Calvin.

finally just ordered series 1-2 & 3-4 box sets looking forward to seeing the early episodes again.

Last edited:
Welcome too Calvin from me - I occasionally pop in to make sure everyone is behaving. Not that it does any good. And write a few posts ...

Not sure what you mean by "certain edits" but I do want to point out that set 9&10 is actually just Series 9 split into two DVD releases. Just so you know.

I cannot recall them but there are cuts on the DVD's compared to the original Video's released

I cannot recall them but there are cuts on the DVD's compared to the original Video's released

Do you mean on the Region 2 DVDs? Are they different from or in addition to some of the cuts on the Region 1 DVDs? I own the complete series on Region 2, but never having seen the original broadcast versions there's no way for me to know that I'm missing anything.

I've known two different cases of editing differences between original broadcast and DVD releases so far, since I had taped so many seasons on VHS long before they began releasing any of the series on Region 1 DVD.

First is the opening scene of the episode where Alvin is trying to teach Nora how to line dance; the song being played on the radio/tape machine/whatever they're using is different on the DVD and the broadcast episode.

Second is the very opening scene of Elegy to Fallen Wellies; on the broadcast version there was an opening scene with the ladies practicing their dance number in the skimpy outfits in the church hall (or wherever it was supposed to be). On the DVD this scene is absent completely, and the first glimpse we have of the outfits is only of Nora and Ivy walking home discussing showing themselves to Compo.

The song I am familiar with them playing during line dancing Alvin / Nora is Indian Outlaw by Tim McGraw. At least on my copy here in the States. Think I read there was a copyright concern with the other song - don't know what it was.

The only other things I have noticed between VHS / DVD and online copies are some of the 'racy' poster girl images in a few scenes had the 'best bits' blurred over. The time when the guys are in the barber shop while Blamire gets his hair cut - blurred poster. As well as when Seymour picks up Edie's garbage disposel in the metal fab shop. I also noticed this on the show Rising Damp between my PBS VHS copies of old versus the DVD's. A pinup in the guys bedroom was blurred in certain places. Probably due to the censors in the U.S. at the time. Quite possibly could be that local TV stations can edit out the bits they do not wish to show.

Is this the types of things you are asking about?

I've known two different cases of editing differences between original broadcast and DVD releases so far, since I had taped so many seasons on VHS long before they began releasing any of the series on Region 1 DVD.

First is the opening scene of the episode where Alvin is trying to teach Nora how to line dance; the song being played on the radio/tape machine/whatever they're using is different on the DVD and the broadcast episode.

Second is the very opening scene of Elegy to Fallen Wellies; on the broadcast version there was an opening scene with the ladies practicing their dance number in the skimpy outfits in the church hall (or wherever it was supposed to be). On the DVD this scene is absent completely, and the first glimpse we have of the outfits is only of Nora and Ivy walking home discussing showing themselves to Compo.

The opening scene, complete with its original music, is present on the Region 2 DVD. I read somewhere that there was some US copyrighted music in the series that could be distributed on DVD in the UK but not in the States. That's why I bought the Region 2 sets and a region-free player, rather than investing in the Region 1 sets.

Rick — I'm not at all familiar with that musical genre. I wouldn't know Indian Outlaw from Achy, Breaky Heart, so I haven't particularly noticed the music in the line dancing scene.

Do you mean on the Region 2 DVDs? Are they different from or in addition to some of the cuts on the Region 1 DVDs? I own the complete series on Region 2, but never having seen the original broadcast versions there's no way for me to know that I'm missing anything.

On the region 2 DVD's for the earlier series there are odd cuts, I believe one was Crusher was missing from a scene that was on the VHS version but not on the DVD release
Though oddly in the special getting Sam home, there was a added scene not on the VHS tape

Back