Did Truly Help Prolong Last of the Summer Wine

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I think there are some that appreciate the post-Compo years and others that don't. I love a lot of the later years, like Series 22 and 23, which I am currently on. There is just a great blend and balance of characters during that period. While I loved all of the lead guys, Truly was very different from the others. He was more relaxed and didn't put himself above the others like the other lead guys. Do you think this change in the leader in the later years kept the show going on longer? After Blamire, 2 Foggy runs, and Seymour, would another character like that have been too redundant for the show to continue? Just curious.

I feel that they prolonged the series as long as they could by introducing many support characters alongside the main trio and Truly as the "3rd Man" was probably key to carrying on not only initially with Compo but post the very sad demise of Bill Owen . Compo was a huge void to fill [ If you asked anyone about LOTSW the answer most would utter would be " ah Compo "more than any other character or memory I imagine] but the addition of Alvin,Billy and Entwistle and I suppose later Hobbo when Truly and Clegg were only really up to cameo appearances because of their health/age collectively succeeded in getting the BBC to renew the show.

I feel that they prolonged the series as long as they could by introducing many support characters alongside the main trio and Truly as the "3rd Man" was probably key to carrying on not only initially with Compo but post the very sad demise of Bill Owen . Compo was a huge void to fill [ If you asked anyone about LOTSW the answer most would utter would be " ah Compo "more than any other character or memory I imagine] but the addition of Alvin,Billy and Entwistle and I suppose later Hobbo when Truly and Clegg were only really up to cameo appearances because of their health/age collectively succeeded in getting the BBC to renew the show.
I feel the last three seasons were really a demise in the show. Before that, Clegg and Truly and the supporting cast carried it quite well. I wonder how much Truly being so different from the previous 3rd men really helped.

I feel that the introduction of Hobdyke gave the show the potential for a renaissance, but I think the decision to end the series had been made long before this.
I feel they would have been better off with Bobby Ball instead of Hobdyke back then, but I believe the BBC was going to shut it down regardless.

I feel that the introduction of Hobdyke gave the show the potential for a renaissance, but I think the decision to end the series had been made long before this.

Alan Bell didn't believe this. In his book he says Peter Fincham, BBC One controller from 2005-7, told him he was committed to the show and that gave Bell the confidence to finally shift the show to a younger trio centered on Hobbo. The problem was that during the filming of Series 30 Fincham resigned over another controversy and was ultimately replaced Jay Hunt, who felt she'd been given the job of freshening up the BBC One so that it appealed to younger license payers. LOTSW didn't fit in her plans.

I feel they would have been better off with Bobby Ball instead of Hobdyke back then, but I believe the BBC was going to shut it down regardless.
I do like the idea of Bobby Ball, but I think he would have been a suitable Compo/Alvin character, I can't see him being the leader role Tommy Cannon could have been though!

The character of Truly added much to the show, especially that Frank Thornton was able to smoothly fit in when he first came on board and was firmly in place with the loss of Bill Owen. I kind of feel that he helped behind the scenes to keep things going.

And the shark kind of jumped when they brought in those extra comfy black recliners.

Alan Bell didn't believe this. In his book he says Peter Fincham, BBC One controller from 2005-7, told him he was committed to the show and that gave Bell the confidence to finally shift the show to a younger trio centered on Hobbo. The problem was that during the filming of Series 30 Fincham resigned over another controversy and was ultimately replaced Jay Hunt, who felt she'd been given the job of freshening up the BBC One so that it appealed to younger license payers. LOTSW didn't fit in her plans.

This seems to be a perennial problem with the Beeb trying to attract a younger audience at the expense of other demographics.

Look at the fuss over BBC4. They are trying to dumb that down so it has less history content??:confused2::eyesroll:

At least on Friday night BBC4 hosts a significant of music shows and documentaries other than that there is only Jools on a Friday for a limited number of weeks that offer any kind of music show other than that you have that constant steam of drivel on BBC 1 and ITV for example I can see your voice:mad:

Pretty sure that's why the hived off BBC3 to internet and changed the programme to have a very young outlook all aimed at the younger generation .
Well, what can I say? A trip to the (Shopping) Mall is more of an ordeal than a lovely time. The knees are very creaky and complain about extensive use. Due to COVID, all the benches were removed from the concourse and so have to make it all the way down to Starbucks (with wonderful seating). On the way, you're passed by mothers aggressively pushing their giant strollers (prams) quickly by, making it clear that you're holding them up. The coffee is a wonderful tonic to the awful fact that the stores have nothing, nothing worth buying.

At least on Friday night BBC4 hosts a significant of music shows and documentaries other than that there is only Jools on a Friday for a limited number of weeks that offer any kind of music show other than that you have that constant steam of drivel on BBC 1 and ITV for example I can see your voice:mad:
Suzie Lipscomb ( historian) is trying to stop BBC 4 dumbing down ! She presented pieces on Time Team and did programmes about the Tudors and she wants people to be aware of our history !

Power to her elbow regarding the campaign . I had a quick squint at the programming this week tonight is all about photography, tomorrow is a mix of vintage comedy , Ian Hislop's olden days which is historical , followed by 3 medical programmes , Wednesday is predominantly about aircraft, Thursday is strange All creatures great and Small followed by a film with Bob Dylan in it [Masked and Anonymous made in 2003] and then a documentary about A J Weberman who is obsessed with Dylan and just for you Dick[and Tony] its Bob Dylan night on Friday knock yourselves out. :)

The character of Truly added much to the show, especially that Frank Thornton was able to smoothly fit in when he first came on board and was firmly in place with the loss of Bill Owen. I kind of feel that he helped behind the scenes to keep things going.

And the shark kind of jumped when they brought in those extra comfy black recliners.

Remember Frank Thornton was only bought in as a temporary replacement for Brian Wilde, who couldn't take part in series 19 due to ill health. It was planned that Brian would return when his health allowed, but sadly he never came back to the show and Frank carried on till the end.

I've always found it interesting that LOTSW survived as long as it did. Somehow it weathered the storms that inevitably kill off other long running shows. The biggest storm was when Bill Owen passed, and in that case I'm sure that having Truly on board helped with that. Had Foggy's second departure lead to someone less successful as the "third man," it may have been the end of the show. Of course one of the frustrating things about Bill Owen's passing is that while both Andrew Vine and Alan Bell say the show's future was up in the air at that point, neither actually addresses how it survived. That is my biggest criticism of both books, really. They just move on as if neither has any idea of how that played out in the BBC executive offices. But it did and presumably having two likeable stars to continue on around helped that happen.

Back