Did Truly Help Prolong Last of the Summer Wine

The idea of the BBC (or any TV company) wanting to forcefully adapt a show (like LotSW) that appeals to an adult, mature crowd into something that will appeal more to (or bring in) younger viewers baffles me. I don't think I have ever heard it done in reverse - to make a younger viewer's show appeal to the more mature crowd. Can you imagine programming execs at the Beeb saying "We need to make The Young Ones appeal more to the over 50's crowd." ? No, that would never happen. By the way, I'm a fan of The Young Ones from my younger days decades ago. Still pop the DVD in on occasion. Just using it as an example.

TV Execs, please don't muck about with a winning formula when you have a long running gem! As the younger views grow up they should gravitate to shows that appeal to mature crowd and start watching the show. No need to force it to happen. They both can have their separate shows. No need to unnecessarily blend them together.

I am guessing that when a 'younger audience' is mentioned they mean early 20's & 30's - college age young adults. They are just not going to be interested in the same things that mid 40's to 60's people are going to appreciate.

Maybe one answer is that it is their perception that young people buy stuff. I look at all those ads and shake my head. I've already got most of what I need, other than groceries. And I'm not going to run out and buy designer clothes, etc. And I have had and used one purse for the last ten or so years. So that's who they're going to market to, Generation Z. There may be other reasons, but there are too many to address here.

Back