Confused on this one

The series chose the top 10 sit-coms 'as voted by the audience who phone or text.' There was probably a charge for this.

Same as Greatest Comedy Character on UK Gold where Compo finished a lowly 30 . It is all down to the profile of the voters who bother to pick up the phone or vote online . In the end its a snapshot in time and very much who constructs the list . In the comedy character the judging panel's profile was predominantly young to 40 ish year olds with only Peter Egan and David Quantick who were more mature which goes a little way to explaining how the positions were derived.

David Brent was placed 3rd which from my perspective says it all , personally I hated the Office and the character in particular . I am more than happy for anyone on here to shoot me down in flames and if they did it will go some way to explain how these decisions are reached because if you went to another shows "Appreciation Society " site you would get a different answer . In the end it all down to who votes or selects on the day.

Is it any wonder that comedy is rubbish nowadays with all the PC restrictions imposed on us. The youngsters would have an eye opener if the programmers were brave enough to re run 'The comedians' and suchlike.

Is it any wonder that comedy is rubbish nowadays with all the PC restrictions imposed on us. The youngsters would have an eye opener if the programmers were brave enough to re run 'The comedians' and suchlike.

The odd thing is that we live in more PC times yet also cruder ones. Just look at some of the stuff in Fleabag which is hailed as genius comedy, but from the clips I've seen it's not funny and contains stuff that shows the relative innocence of the unfairly maligned Carry On films.

Summer wine will NEVER be beaten.
Fact, the Christmas episode 'Whoops' in 1981 was watched by over 18 million viewers. Nothing even comes near nowadays. Seasons greetings to all.

That's probably because, in those days, there were only three channels and not many people had computers or games consoles. What else could they be doing? (Aside from watching BBC Two or ITV?)

Yes, that is precisely why it will never be beaten viewer wise. ALL these new channels & media to choose from, but now we say "there's nothing worth watching "

I did the same and added extra funds binning the TV Licence, saved over £750 so far, you can get a lot of DVD's for that
Its interesting.. I've been enjoying Inspector Morse lately. Never watched it before. Great scripts I feel and acting, plus a great theme song :) :) .

But annoyingly Foxtel are playing 1 episode, then something else, then a second episode of it - rinse and repeat.. All in order S1 -E1 ... S1 - E2 etc.... but dont have time to sit down and binge them all...

So I thought about buying them, then looked at the 100 odd DVD's I have and thought when was the last time I watched some 99% of them... Enjoyed 2-3 times then dust gatherers..

I guess some sorts of shows you can watch over and over, but for example detective/mystery shows you cant really watch them often without wasting your time knowing the outcome.

Pay TV could be so much better but why should they change?? The Lemmings are throwing money at them hand over fist. All of them, Foxtel, Netflix, etc etc etc

They could have less channels with better content, but i guess when you look at the pure crap they pump out now (Its like they dont even try anymore), it shows how desperate they are to fill 23980238423 channels with 24/7 and only 1 of them worth watching.

I often think if my TV died, would I bother replacing it. My contract with Foxtel is up, and expensive.. I'd pay $10-20 a week for all their channels but, not $100 for 1/2 of them

I did the same and added extra funds binning the TV Licence, saved over £750 so far, you can get a lot of DVD's for that
But to play a dvd you need a TV. If you possess a TV then I thought it was necessary to have a BBC TV licence.

I think the licence will need to be reviewed by government because the ratings for watching BBC channels have decreased substantially due to subscription channels.

But to play a dvd you need a TV. If you possess a TV then I thought it was necessary to have a BBC TV licence.

I think the licence will need to be reviewed by government because the ratings for watching BBC channels have decreased substantially due to subscription channels.
I don't think you need a TV licence if you're only watching DVD's however if you watch any streaming service such as YouTube, you need a licence even if it is on a PC

You only need a TV Licence if you watch live TV or BBC iplayer, you can watch ITV/C4/C5 catch up TV without a licence, you don't need a licence for streaming ie, Netflix, Amazon or Youtube unless they are streaming something live like a football match which is something these steaming services are starting to offer, you definitely don't need one for watching DVD's or video tapes but you cannot record something live and view it later

All these polls have different results.

The problem may be that LOTSW went on too long, and later episodes were weaker, and so becomes less of a classic - as the not so good episodes spoil the memory of the perfect episodes.

I can't see Steptoe and Son on that list either, and that never had a bad episode, so I don't think that list can be taken too seriously.

Back