Computer Game designer required

Chance cards:

Mooch in hills = miss a turn

Travel in canoe = forward three spaces

Wesley repairs your car = back three

etc

Sue, do you want the extra channels like Yesterday and others for free. There is a site which you can put in your favourites. It is streaming and here in Malta I watch all the BBC and ITV channels plus others. When the page comes on scroll down until you get to UK Live tv channels. Click on that. Then choose the channel you want. I discovered this 2 months ago ansd that is all I watch..

Thanks for the tip, but we get them on 'Freeview'. We gave up our Sky subscription years ago, we can still get Free Sat through our box though. I refuse to pay for repeat after repeat.

Don't blame you one bit Sue. Mind you on Filmon they are showing old epoisodes of Minder and The Saint etc which bring back memories..

Love the idea for either style game.Board or computer.
It would be great being able to wander around Holmfirth and such on the computer. My son has a game on his ipod that throws paper balls at a guy sitting at a desk. It has a rude name, can't recall. However, something along the same line, once entering the CAFE you could see how long it takes to annoy Ivy and get asked to leave,same with Nora's house, ringing the door bell until she hits you with the brush!! :)
Just thoughts.......

Very good idea. That would be a laugh.................. I wish all this becomes reality.

For the computer.. a mini-game... find the treacle tin. It would be an overhead view of some land with bushes and trees scattered around the screen. The player would search those areas and have some type of action happen. Marina pops up and kisses the character controlled by the player (with Howard at the side looking in horror), Ivy pops up and hits the character with a pan, Nora pops up and then it becomes a keep-away game where she chases you around the screen with a mop... etc.. etc..

For the computer.. a mini-game... find the treacle tin. It would be an overhead view of some land with bushes and trees scattered around the screen. The player would search those areas and have some type of action happen. Marina pops up and kisses the character controlled by the player (with Howard at the side looking in horror), Ivy pops up and hits the character with a pan, Nora pops up and then it becomes a keep-away game where she chases you around the screen with a mop... etc.. etc..

Sounds brilliant - now my son has a degree in computer games design - I wonder .....

probably say no but I might put it to him.

A board version would be relatively easy.

(Forgive me as this topic is quite old but I feel as if I have to reply to it. Also...this is a bit long.)

It's interesting that the topic of a LOTSW computer game should come up. You see, a while ago, I came up with my own idea of what a LOTSW video game could be. First, it would have been released on the Playstation 3 had it actually been released (or produced). Given the nature of Summer Wine itself, this game would be more like an open world type of video game where you could roam around freely (or at least in the places that would be available to you until you complete certain objectives).

One idea I had for the game was that it could go through different eras as you progress through the game. For instance, the game could start in late 1930's Yorkshire (Or, the era of First Of The Summer Wine). Here, you could play as Young Norman Clegg as you go around pre-WWII Yorkshire and completing different objectives (kind of like a tutorial, helping you get the feel of the controls as well as the mechanics of the game). Once you've completed the objectives of this era, you are given the choice to move on to the next era (The Balmire era).

The eras are represented by the third men (and later on, trios in general). So, once the objectives of the Balmire era are completed, you can move on to the first Foggy era, then the Seymour era, and so on. The appearance of the characters would change according to each era, which means they would appear younger in the earlier eras while they would appear older in the later eras.

The main objectives in the game are based on events of episodes of the television program. They would also correspond with their respective eras. So, for instance, during the first Foggy era, there would be an objective based on "The Loxley Lozenge". Seeing as this game would be an open world game, you'll have to check the map (Maybe it could be brought up by pressing 'Select') to find where the objective is marked. There are several ways to get there: On foot, on your bike, or by bus. Sometimes, even by a ride from other character (Wesley, perhaps?). Every main objective would have to be completed in order to advance to the next era. Some of the objectives would take place during the night ("Getting Sam Home" and "Welcome To Earth") so you'll be given the chance to take an in-game rest and pass the time to night or day.

There are also side objectives that you can skip, such as fetch quests ('Go get x item from Ivy' or 'Return x item to Smiler'). The objectives themselves would be played out like a mini-game. For instance, in the case of the Loxley Lozenge, you could control the couch as it's going down the road with the three men on it, making sure it doesn't go too fast to the point of missing it's mark (Behind Ashley Jackson). Tilting the PS3 controller itself would be ideal for this.

As for who you can control, for most of the time you would be playing as Clegg but when the time comes for it, you would be able to control the other men as well. Of course, the men you can control depends on the era you are playing in.

The locations from the show would be replicated to a T in the game, making it feel as if you are actually there in Cleggy's house or Ivy's Cafe. Not to mention, the character models would be rather realistic (or as much as the PS3's hardware can make them) with each character's movements identical to those of their real life counterparts. Of course, the Yorkshire countryside would be replicated rather well, complete with cow pats.

As for the voice acting in the game, any of the surviving cast members would voice their respective characters while characters whose actors/actresses are sadly no longer with us would be voiced by sound-alikes.

The music would have been composed by Ronnie Hazlehurst (He was still around when I thought of this).

Either way, that's pretty much my idea of what a Summer Wine video game could be like. Of course, I am not really talented enough to even began to bring this game into existence.

So, what do you lot think of it? :)

Last edited:
Cap n Mac - I must put this to my son, always on the look out for new ideas.

And when he was young used to watch the show with me!

Cap n Mac - I must put this to my son, always on the look out for new ideas.

And when he was young used to watch the show with me!

Well, if you do, please let us know what his answer is. Also, watching LOTSW as you're young is a good time to start! :)

To further elaborate on controlling the men, another way to go about it is each day you start with Clegg in his home. On the map will be the locations of the other two men. You can have Clegg meet up with either of the men for different interactions. (some objectives will call for all three men to be present. If you go to an objective where all three men are needed and there are only two men present, you won't be able to partake in the objective until all three men are present). For instance, if you meet up with just Compo, there may be times when he would ask you to help him search for his ferret. If you meet up with just Foggy, he may have you sit and listen to some of his war stories. In this case, you would have to watch Foggy closely for when he turns his head or closes his eyes in the heat of his story-telling for a chance to sneak away.

When controlling all three men at the same time, depending on who you are controlling, the other two men would be controlled by the computer. In other words, if you're playing as Clegg, the other two men would automatically follow behind you. Another way is that two of the men could be walking on their own while you control one of the characters. This is ideal for a conversation bit. If you stray too far behind the other two men, they could say something like "Ayup! What's tha doin' back there?" or if you go too far ahead of them, they could say something like "That man! Slow down!".

Another thing I thought of was that when you're playing as Clegg, you could press the up arrow on the Playstation 3's Directional Buttons to put on and remove his Flat cap and the left arrow to put on and remove his Plastic Mac. If you put on the Mac during a rather warm day, Clegg could say something like "Me Mac'll melt in this heat!" and if you take it off during a chilly day, he could say something like "Could I possibly be the first human icicle?". This mechanism could apply to the other playable characters as well.

Last edited:
From what I've observed, the more advanced Playstation 4 hardware would be able achieve a high level of realism and beauty that would bring the Summer Wine world to life. As I've mentioned before, Daytime and Nighttime could occur in this game and as the day turns to night, we could be treated to a nice sunrise/sunset. Depending on the situation or period of time, the weather could change like at one point, it could a nice sunny day and at another point, it could be raining (with a change of a rainbow showing up). At random intervals, the wind could pick up causing trees, clothing, and other objects to move with the breeze. I've mentioned snow and how footprints could be left when walked in it.

There could also be a high level of interactivity in order to bring about more realism. For example: Grass, flowers, bushes, trees/branches, and other objects would react whenever a character walks over or against them. When a character walks/runs in a puddle, a splash could occur or if a character gets wet, their clothes could become visibly soaked.

There would also be NPCs (None Playable Characters) of different genders, races, and sizes roaming the sidewalk where, say a character is stand in the middle of them, they would automatically move around you or if you bump into them, they would get angry and shout things like "Watch it!" or "Look where you're going!". Cars, Trucks, Buses, and people on Bikes would also take up the streets and you can even ride your own bike as well.

Yes, it's been over a year since my last post to this thread but I really should add this...

I mentioned before how the world and environments of the Summer Wine game I envision would benefit from advanced gaming hardware such as the PlayStation 4. As you know, technology moves forward at a rapid pace and now an upgrade will be released soon, given the name Playstation 4 Pro.

Certain aspects of this game such as the lighting, foliage, physics, and textures would look astounding on the original PlayStation 4 but with the extra processing power of the Pro model, those aspects would be pushed even more to the realm of realism and beauty (two of the most important keywords for this game).

I mentioned physics before and that would apply to not only certain inanimate objects but the human characters as well. The main characters, such as the Three Men, and secondary characters would be animated so that their body language and mannerisms would closely mirror that of their real life counterparts. A good chunk of the Summer Wine cast, if not every character, would be playable and their walk and run animations, among others, would be different depending on the characters. In short, I believe each of these playable characters should have a different feel when controlled.

Now, earlier I mentioned that certain articles of a character's outfit could be assigned to the Directional Buttons (or the D-Pad) of the controller. The default would be Up for a character's hat, Left for their coat or jacket, Down for their footwear, and Right for, perhaps, additional accessories. Pressing these buttons would have the character remove or put on the assigned article of clothing; this would come in handy for situations in which a character must remove their hat, as an example. You would have the choice to assign another article of clothing to another button in the menu. There, you'd also have a wider range of customization of a character's outfit as well.

Using Clegg as an example, his main outfit would the one he's usually seen in. You'd be able to remove the pieces of this outfit as far as his shirtsleeves (which is as far as you'd be able to go with any playable character). Of course, having Cleggy running around in his shirtsleeves during cooler weather would have an adverse effect, as well as having him in his Mac during warmer weather. Over the course of the game, you'd collect different outfits for him depending on the era you are playing in (like the Finacial Adviser outfit from 'Barry Becomes a Psychopathic Killer - But Only Part Time') and in order for a certain scenario to play out, you would have to be wearing the outfit that corresponds with the event. You'll be able to keep whatever outfits you acquire and can wear them in any era. You'll also be able to purchase certain articles of clothing from shops, including Auntie Wainwright's.

And at the end, once you completed the game, one of the additional options you would unlock would be a gallery mode of sorts in which you'd be able to view the game's character models while being able to change their outfits in this mode, as well.

Interesting, but I think I'd want to keep the game really simple.

I suppose part of the game would involve picking up tea and buns, and avoiding pieces of junk from Auntie Wainwrights.

I would use some artistic licence and include all characters from different eras, to satisfy all LOTSW fans.

Everything is about Apps now what a refreshing change , as Barmpot suggests, if it was a retro board game it would be far more absorbing and it doesn't have to be complex , something for a family group or friends to play rather than being glued to tablets or phone or TV.

@wstol: Simple games, eh? (starts thinking about Last of The Summer Wine apps)

@captain clutterbuck: Were I in charge of bringing out Summer Wine board games, I'd personally release several, actually: one for every era. Personally, I feel as if each era has enough material for their own board, you know?

Now, as for the game I envision, I've always thought it would include mini-games scattered throughout. Some would be based on events from the program (There would be one from 'Downhill Racer' that you'd have to use the controller to balance the Three Men on their bike as they carry the tree) and some would be general mini-games (Ivy balancing buns in the cafe).

Because you can go through all of the eras of Summer Wine in this game, you'd be able to meet all of the characters that appear in that certain era. Because I see the game as closely following the program, some of these characters would leave during certain points of an era or after an era. In Barry's case, he would appear at the beginning of the Seymour Era as a playable character. Once you've gotten to a certain part of the Foggy II Era, Barry would no longer be playable until later on in the same Era.

Cap n Mac , I must congratulate you , you have clearly looked at this in great detail and spent , I imagine, a lengthy period of time considering all aspects of the show and how they would map out in a game or series of games . You are to be commended for your dedication and you really deserve to have someone convert your ideas into a reality . Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

Cap n Mac , I must congratulate you , you have clearly looked at this in great detail and spent , I imagine, a lengthy period of time considering all aspects of the show and how they would map out in a game or series of games . You are to be commended for your dedication and you really deserve to have someone convert your ideas into a reality . Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

Well, thank you, Cap'n!

Now, granted...some of these ideas did come to me the moment I wrote those passages but some of the other's have been in my mind since about 2005/2006. The game I've been describing would be the Summer Wine game that I would personally want to exist. It would most definitely an open world/sandbox type game, with a bit of other genres sprinkled in.

I think a LotSW game is an awesome idea. Wish I had the coding skills to be a part of creating this. A board game style is nice as well as computer game. Don't leave out the PC to just favor the consoles, please.

I think a LotSW game is an awesome idea. Wish I had the coding skills to be a part of creating this. A board game style is nice as well as computer game. Don't leave out the PC to just favor the consoles, please.

I'm glad you agree in that a LOTSW game should exist. While the game that I envisioned would be a Playstation exclusive, have you had any ideas as to what LOTSW games could be for the PC?

Back