Compo's final episodes

The joys of having a property portfolio mean that I have been sitting at home watching all of the LOTSW episodes on Gold.......but we are now into the last few episodes that Bill Owen made, and do you know folks I just can't bring myself to watch them.

That's all I want to say really, it was so sad when he went and in my opinion the programme was never the same.

Anyone else feel the same way ?

I think a lot of us have problems watching that series. Sometimes I skip it altogether, other times I watch the Compo episodes and then skip the rest. I can really only handle the passing trilogy about one a year or so.

That said, while I agree that the show was never the same after Compo was gone, I do think the Clegg-Truly-Billy era did have a pretty good run. To me the show only drops off badly after that trio.

Agree I find it hard to watch as well he looked so ill and his speech was going agree that the series was not the same after but I still watch it and moan about the booming idiot milkman who dominated the last seies.

My sentiments echo closely to what the others have said as well. There are times that I skip some of those episodes of Compo's final season due to the sadness factor when re-watching the show. Seeing him so frail and knowing that he would be passing away.

This is not to mention what the cast and crew were going through while making "Pigeon and Post" and the one about the Morris Minor hubcap. I'm sure it was very difficult all around.

There are times that I skip some of those episodes of Compo's final season due to the sadness factor .

Me, Never. These are some of the most beautifully done episodes
in the whole series. As much as I hated to see Compo go, they did
these all so well. I watch them every time thru the set.

I have no problems watching the last episodes of Compo, however I find it VERY difficult to watch the funeral trilogy, especially the last scene with the white overalls.
Funnily enough if I see it out of context, i.e. as a preview or "best of" type of thing I have no problems however when I watch the whole episode.........................................:25::(

Last Post and Pigeon, the funeral trilogy, and even From Here to Paternity are outstanding episodes.

Lipstick and Other Problems and Under the Rug are pretty good too.

Magic and the Morris Minor was a rather weak final appearance of Compo though.

Last Post and Pigeon is a very emotional episode, a very special Special. Of course, the plot has nothing to do with the character of Compo actually being written out - but it's to be remembered as something Bill Owen was desperate to complete.

This certainly was a very unusual series, with everything that went on during the making of it.

However, in many ways it's one of the best too.

This would have been a good time to finish the series altogether - it's amazing it ran for another ten years.

But back to Compo's final series - it goes to show how sometimes the best work can be achieved under extreme pressure.

The joys of having a property portfolio mean that I have been sitting at home watching all of the LOTSW episodes on Gold.......but we are now into the last few episodes that Bill Owen made, and do you know folks I just can't bring myself to watch them.

That's all I want to say really, it was so sad when he went and in my opinion the programme was never the same.

Anyone else feel the same way ?

Why can't you watch them? Is it because he appeared rather ill or because it was sad knowing the end was very near.

I notice how poor his health seems in those episodes, and there is a little bit of sadness knowing his end is near, but that is just an example of the outstanding dedication so much of the cast had towatd the show over the years (which is part of Summer Wine's greatness).

As for the trilogy. They are absolutely superb. However, when Summer Wine comes on, I am mentally set towards light-hearted comedy and I am just not ready to watch them

When I watch the show in sequence I tend to not watch Morris Minor and beyond. I know what is coming, by then I most of the times take a break from watching them, and when I am in the mood again(a few days later) I start with My Blamires. That has been our pattern. That is how we let each other know what we are wanting to watch. EX. early Foggy, Seymour, late foggy, Blamire. I may watch it 1 or twice within the year. We loved to see them reminence the war in France, and see Compo say goodbye to everyone when Smiler stopped them on the way. He thought no one cared. Love my Compo!!!! Sir Sidney, I know how you feel.

The episodes are such a difficult watch however, I have always felt they should be watched , even on repeat . The effort Bill Owen expended to make those episodes , considering how ill he really was, must have been unimaginable and I have always felt that out of respect to that sacrifice and to his memory , however painful and sad it is , I would continue to watch the episodes . Poignantly today Gold are running them starting with Morris Minor , I for one will tune in , again , probably lump in throat , again , but admiring what Bill and the others achieved in making those particular episodes in such difficult circumstances.

Why can't you watch them? Is it because he appeared rather ill or because it was sad knowing the end was very near.

I notice how poor his health seems in those episodes, and there is a little bit of sadness knowing his end is near, but that is just an example of the outstanding dedication so much of the cast had towatd the show over the years (which is part of Summer Wine's greatness).

As for the trilogy. They are absolutely superb. However, when Summer Wine comes on, I am mentally set towards light-hearted comedy and I am just not ready to watch them

Purely as I like to remember Bill Owen as he was in the earlier episodes, and I find it so sad to see the way he went in terms of his illness.......it's personal choice really and as I have said before I can't watch them........it's on TV as I am typing this but I am in another room away from it.

"Brilliant, I think they are three of the best episodes written by Roy Clarke"

Yes, my feelings exactly. Maybe sad ... but brilliant! Well written
and really well acted.

I watched the first episode yesterday and found it very poignant so sad but well acted and written am now watching a follow up episode with Tom and Mrs Avery but it still does not seem right ,think Tom got better as the show went on and he was on his own at Aunties.

Yes, those first episodes with Tom and Mrs. Avery were absolutely painful and much later on Tom seemed to come into his own especially when he was behind the wheel of that rust bucket of a Cadillac.

The episodes are such a difficult watch however, I have always felt they should be watched , even on repeat . The effort Bill Owen expended to make those episodes , considering how ill he really was, must have been unimaginable and I have always felt that out of respect to that sacrifice and to his memory , however painful and sad it is , I would continue to watch the episodes . PoignantIly today Gold are running them starting with Morris Minor , I for one will tune in , again , probably lump in throat , again , but admiring what Bill and the others achieved in making those particular episodes in such difficult circumstances.

Just to let u know, I'm at Nowhere Particular and watching till I run out of dvd's. I need to purchase my post Compo dvds.

Old thread, but I'll pipe up.
I really like the trilogy (being an old softy). Exactly how I'd like to be remembered by old mates...

With the short notice of writing, and how hard it would have been for the cast to work through, I think they did well - but I think it could have been rolled into 2 episodes, or a 1 hour special.. Some spots seem a little ... soft/slow?

I really did like the Reggie Unsworth twist! I thought that was a brilliant move to add a twist and some great laughs - the tractor I didn't see coming LOL! !

Not a fan of the "From Here to Paternity" with the new Tom coming in.. Cant put my finger on what but it just doesn't seem to flow as well as any other episode I've watched (not that Im an expert)... new cast, new holes to fill would have been hard, and maybe im being a little hard on them...

Anyway, off to watch Last Post and Pigeon on Daily Motion :)

Cant figure how to edit the previous post...

But that Stare from Nora in the church would have killed me!

Back