'By eck that clears the cataarh'

LOL, I didn´t know at the beginning that Compo´s language was, well, as it was ;D! I didn´t understand much at all when I started watching and just slowly went on learning and gathered only then that Compo´s language is not very desirable to pick up. Just imagine how many harmless swear words one picks up...!
German heritage? Yes, all these names give it away, very interesting! Wow, Eurich must be rather tricky to pronounce in English correctly ;), the Eu- sounds like Oy- in German.

LOL, I didn´t know at the beginning that Compo´s language was, well, as it was ;D! I didn´t understand much at all when I started watching and just slowly went on learning and gathered only then that Compo´s language is not very desirable to pick up. Just imagine how many harmless swear words one picks up...!
German heritage? Yes, all these names give it away, very interesting! Wow, Eurich must be rather tricky to pronounce in English correctly ;), the Eu- sounds like Oy- in German.

Sorry to get too off track for the others. But for ****...in American English, "Eurich" is pronounced Y-U-R-R-I-K. Hope that helps.

*Still of track*
Thank you, I thought as much, I was just wondering if you knew the "correct" pronounciation when they were actually Germans ;).

*Still of track*
Thank you, I thought as much, I was just wondering if you knew the "correct" pronounciation when they were actually Germans ;).

OK, sorry to everyone here except ****, for staying off track in this topic. However, I figured **** is popular enough and has the tenure for others to look the other way as I respond to his question.

I did not know the original pronunciation of Eurich as I am pretty ignorant of the language. Eurich is my dad's mom's maiden name. My parents made an effort to keep me and my brothers in touch with our heritage by having us take German in high school. Unfortunately, when I took the class the German teacher was going through some sort of mid-life crisis and barely taught us anything. Instead she just had us watch tv and play cards! That ended up being her last year of teaching as well. My classmates and I did not learn anything.

Also, the name Schindel was Americanized into the word, Shindle. I understand there are Schindels in the Bavaria region.

Oh, it´s a pity your teacher didn´t actually teach you!
Hm, I don´t know if Schindel is a typical Bavarian name, there are others (like Boxleitner for example, I don´t know the actor, only the name Bruce Boxleitner and I can´t help thinking of him in leather trousers, lol, his ancestors must have come from Bavaria), but Schindel is certainly German and will probably be found all over the country. It´s so interesting to see all these Americanised names, I quite enjoy it when the end credits of a film come up or so.

And there is Marina´s "Norman Clegg that was!" which always confused me. Norman Clegg was what? What was he? Isn´t he Norman Clegg anymore? LOL, I always found that a really strange sentence, could be my English, I don´t know. By now I know she meant the situation when they were stuck together in a lift, but the sentence still seems strange to me.

****: I don't think anyone has answered this question by **** yet, so:

"Norman Clegg that was"...i have always taken it to mean that Norman was a love interest to Marina but not in the same way that Howard was.
So i would think that it means "Norman Clegg that was...(of interest to Marina)".
She may have fancied him way back but he certainly wasn't interested in her.

G ; )

Back on topic (ish).

Did anyone alse notice how many cups of tea the trio bought over the years...that they never got to drink, due to them being chased out of the cafe by Ivy?

One that did wind me up a bit was Howards "I don't know what you mean love".

Another couple i found a bit cringy were the repeated lines: "I'm coming, i'm coming" and "I'm ready, i'm ready", usually by Compo or Eli. although i think Smiler said it a few times as well.

G ; )

???( Norman Clegg that was " ) As I used to understand it the "that was" part of it was used when describing someone newly married, as in " you know Mary Jones ??" Mary Smith that was??" I may have remembered it wrongly and so I am hoping someone else will confirm it and correct me before we get **** any more confused. Funny thing is I thought it originated from Lancashire ::)

Back on topic (ish).

Did anyone alse notice how many cups of tea the trio bought over the years...that they never got to drink, due to them being chased out of the cafe by Ivy?

G ; )

I have no idea but that is a great observation! What about how many much sugar did Compo put in his tea?

???( Norman Clegg that was " ) As I used to understand it the "that was" part of it was used when describing someone newly married, as in " you know Mary Jones ??" Mary Smith that was??" I may have remembered it wrongly and so I am hoping someone else will confirm it and correct me before we get **** any more confused. Funny thing is I thought it originated from Lancashire ::)

Correct Dick.

Thank you all for trying to help me understand that line! Hm, Norman Clegg that was in the sense of getting married, then who is he now? LOL! Interesting approach, but sounds logical. I always thought along the lines of "Norman Clegg that was I met in the left in Leeds!" or so...

:-[ Sorry **** I confused things again! I should have said married women . They changed their surname on marriage and became "that was". At least that is how I understand it. Hope I've not confused things some more for you! :-[ :-[

Thank you, no, I got that about the married women, it just made me laugh to imagine Cleggy being married again and having changed HIS surname for a start. I think I´ll just leave it at that, there are some mysteries in the English language that I´ll never really get the hang of ;).

Alright...here is the typical American question to this topic. "What does Compo mean by 'Cataarh'"?

Thanks in advance. I like learning new things each day!

OK, I'll give it the old Yankee try. Doesn't "Cataah" mean a (male) throat clearing noise?

No woman get it too, its like a phlem in your nasal passages I have quite a lot it bungs you up and it is a medical term its what my doctor says to me.

No woman get it too, its like a phlem in your nasal passages I have quite a lot it bungs you up and it is a medical term its what my doctor says to me.

It is far too early in the morning for this graphic detail!

I think nobody repeated their catchphrase as often as Truly with "of course I could be lying".
Characters have at various times terms like Twillock,dillop,twillop when namecalling.I often wondered if these terms are or were actually used in the area?

Back