'By eck that clears the cataarh'

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
Seemed like there was a period when Compo uttered this every time Ivy walloped him on the head with a tray but I think it was just a handful of
episodes.Interestingly Compo didnt have a set line for when Nora went for him with her brush

Yeah, I think it was about 3 times that he said it, but somehow it seemed more.

It was like Cleggy's response "but fluently" whenever Compo says Foggy talked rubbish,twonk,clack etc

Actually now that I think about it,the only 'catchphrase' I can think of that was used regularly was Edies "Drink your coffee!"

I use to her indoors when she fails to drink the coffee I made her a few moments ago.So far she hasn't replied "Oh Mother!!" ;)

Ivy's favourite seemed to be,"What in the name of blood and stomach pills" or something similar ;D

Hector

And there is Marina´s "Norman Clegg that was!" which always confused me. Norman Clegg was what? What was he? Isn´t he Norman Clegg anymore? LOL, I always found that a really strange sentence, could be my English, I don´t know. By now I know she meant the situation when they were stuck together in a lift, but the sentence still seems strange to me.

Alright...here is the typical American question to this topic. "What does Compo mean by 'Cataarh'"?

Thanks in advance. I like learning new things each day!

LOL, good question! As I was continuously picking up words to improve my English, I nearly picked that one up as well as a perfectly ordinary word, this "anyroad", until it began to dawn on me it might just be Compo´s version of "anyway" by exchanging the "way" for "road". Being not English I didn´t get the pun when I started watching ::) ;D.

**** ....anyroad has been an alternative to anyway as long as I can remember . It percolated into Notts decades ago from the Yorkshire coalfields and is sometimes used with another word, "up" to mean anyway you look at it. I think it is used in Lancs and Durham as well. Hope this helps you a little. ;)

Ahh, thank you, Sir Coff ;)! It´s just that I had never heard it before (of course, who would teach us that in Germany?), so I´m glad about all explanations I can get.

Thanks for explaining! I like the term and so have been using it. Do you
suppose it's OK to do that?

LOL, good question! As I was continuously picking up words to improve my English, I nearly picked that one up as well as a perfectly ordinary word, this "anyroad", until it began to dawn on me it might just be Compo´s version of "anyway" by exchanging the "way" for "road". Being not English I didn´t get the pun when I started watching ::) ;D.

****, the thought of learning English through observing Compo? I love Compo but that sounds like the demise of civilization as we know it!!!!!

I don't speak German and am a fifth generation American, but am of German heritage. My ancestory includes Schindels, Eurichs, and Eibels among others.

Back