British TV in the 1970s was such a small world!

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
It seems like every show from that era has a bunch of people from other shows.

The Dustbinmen, S2, episode 2. I was watching this on YouTube. Trevor Bannister and Brian Wilde were in the regular cast, along with Brian Pringle (who guest starred later in "Cheering up Ludovic." Who also has a bit part as a policeman? John Comer.

You wonder if Producers/Directors opt for safe option and use people they have used in other programmes they have worked on rather than take a chance on an unknown or even experienced actor/actress they haven't worked with before . NB I liked the Dustbin men missing from your list Sarkus is Graham Haberfield who was Winston Platt He was a well loved star from the biggest UK soap Coronation Street when he made the Dustbin men they must have given him time off to make the show because he remained in Corrie until 1975.

Trevor Bannister was as I am sure you know was Heavy Breathing playing a bit of a ladies man how pertinent that he played the same type of role in LOTSW and to an extent in Are You Being Served [without any success he was always after Miss Brahms]

It wasn't in the 1970s, but I watched Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" tonight for the first time in many years and noticed at least three actors who have Summerwine ties. Gordon Kaye and Bryan Pringle both have prominent roles, of course, but I also noticed Ann Way, who has a small role in "Brazil" but also had a more notable appearance on LOTSW. Anyone I missed?

When Ben Miller was in charge he had most of his co stars from Primeval on there so maybe it's not just the director's and producers that get a say.

I am sure there have been many cases where the leading star has had a say in who joins them in a Production , history is no doubt littered with Actors and Actresses who hate each other and refuse to work with each other in any Production or indeed threaten to walk if a certain Actor and Actress who are under consideration for a role are hired . The example I can immediately recall was James Bolam and Rodney Bewes who allegedly had a huge falling out with Bolam absolutely refusing to consider not only further episodes of the Likely Lads but trying to prevent it being shown , although he seemed to deny it citing that he had moved on and did not want to dwell in the past.

It wasn't in the 1970s, but I watched Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" tonight for the first time in many years and noticed at least three actors who have Summerwine ties. Gordon Kaye and Bryan Pringle both have prominent roles, of course, but I also noticed Ann Way, who has a small role in "Brazil" but also had a more notable appearance on LOTSW. Anyone I missed?

Brazil is, I reckon, a much neglected movie. Quite disturbing, but at the same time, very funny.

I am sure there have been many cases where the leading star has had a say in who joins them in a Production , history is no doubt littered with Actors and Actresses who hate each other and refuse to work with each other in any Production or indeed threaten to walk if a certain Actor and Actress who are under consideration for a role are hired . The example I can immediately recall was James Bolam and Rodney Bewes who allegedly had a huge falling out with Bolam absolutely refusing to consider not only further episodes of the Likely Lads but trying to prevent it being shown , although he seemed to deny it citing that he had moved on and did not want to dwell in the past.
I read somewhere he refused to agree to releasing it on DVD, Rodney wasn't very successful after that and said a few times he needed the money generated but Bowlam refused.

That is about the gist of it perhaps summed up by this quote from Bolam when interviewed on a show . "It's irksome that people like you bang on about it as if it's the only thing I've ever done in my life.... When the series is over it's over and you move on to other things. You see, because one played great friends it doesn't mean that you are great friends."

The acting was great , they are portrayed as staunch Newcastle United fans , in one episode Bolam's character Terry is arrested after a punch up with Glasgow Rangers fans after the famous Fairs Cup match with them however, Bolam was born in Sunderland and in an episode where Terry is ill in bed with flu when Bob visits there is a poster of the Sunderland team of the time on his bedroom wall which throws the continuity out of the window but I often wonder if Bolam insisted on it being there . What acting !!Pretending to be a staunch fan of your biggest rival's . I know Newcastle fans who have stopped their wives drinking out of a straw because it was red and white striped and asked the Barman to change it for another colour.

Sometimes I forget you're a Magpie ;)
To be fair everything else he did was released on DVD. I think there's deffinalty a back story there. It'd love to have had it on DVD.

I recently saw a copy of The Likely Lads in HMV[and they are on Amazon] which includes the follow up Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads including the episodes I mentioned and a few appearances by Bill Owen as Mr Chambers Thelma's Dad so he did relent in the end. I think the biggest thorn in Rodney Bewes side , aside from being snubbed as a friend, was the fact James Bolam would not sanction any repeats on Terrestrial TV which clearly cost him repeat fees .

The Whatever episodes have been shown on Gold and Drama a while back still funny but dated and certainly not PC in certain instances for objectifying Women which was sadly deemed "Fair Game" when written but is rightly just not acceptable now.

I keep finding these examples, lol.

Just picked up the re-release of Hitchhikers Guide (directed by Alan Bell, of course.) Not only is Michael Cager involved in this one like he was with Bell for all those Summerwine years, right off the top I see in the first episode we have Joe Melia as the bureaucrat in charge of the bulldozer trying to destroy Arthur Dent's house. Melia, of course, was Percy/Dirk in Bell's first Summerwine series in "A Bicycle Made for Three."

Carrying on from there when Ron Howard was directing Apollo 13 he had his brother and both parents in the film.

Then there is the case were you have certain directors using the same group of actors over and over again in non related films.
The Coen Brothers did this with Fargo, Millers Crossing, the Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, etc.
Bill Forsyth also did this with his young troupe of actors in Gregory's Girl, That Sinking Feeling, Local Hero and others.

Recently discovered The Dustbin Men on Dailymotion. Was scanning through some shows when I saw a thumbnail that looked like Foggy. Sure enough it was Brian Wilde. About half way through the series and am liking it. Recognize quite a few of the characters from other shows.

Sometimes when Trevor B. comes on screen I half expect to hear an "Are you free, Mr. Lucas?" :rolling:

Back