Britains greatest comedy character

Britains greatest comedy chracter is on gold on Sunday 24th may at 8pm compo is on the list
I presume that it is the best comedy character and not comedy actor?. There are so many very good comedy characters that I cannot say who I like best. If it was the best comedian then I would always say, 'Who comes second to Ken Dodd? :D:D:D

• Alan Partridge
  • Ali G
  • Arkwright
  • Basil Fawlty
  • Blackadder
  • Captain Mainwaring
  • Compo
  • David Brent
  • Del Boy
  • Father Ted
  • Fleabag
  • Fletcher
  • Frank Spencer
  • Geraldine Granger
  • Hancock
  • Hyacinth Bucket
  • Malcolm Tucker
  • Margo Leadbetter
  • Martin Bryce
  • Miranda
  • Mr Bean
  • Mrs Brown
  • Mrs Merton
  • Nessa Jenkins
  • Patsy Jones
  • Perry
  • Rick
  • Rigsby
  • Sir Humphrey Appleby
  • Victor Meldrew

Thanks for the list Thomas. I do like the Rigsby character. His desperately sought after affair with 'Miss Jones' was excellent.:D

Always be one missing IMHO ..................The great Spike Milligna ...............the well known typing error! :42:

I would have liked to see Lurcio get a mention to recognise the great Frankie Howerd who's career was given a huge boost when he starred in Up Pompei after years in the doldrums. It again was a ground breaking series and I know Miranda Hart cited him for influencing her to look at the Camera in her Show Miranda as if she was talking to each and every one in the audience personally .

Compo finished at number 30
That's not surprising tbh, as the series is becoming quickly forgotten and I noticed that this was an online vote so he was always unfairly destined for bottom spot. It also seems unfair to compare ensemble characters like Compo to others like Mrs Brown (who I think is truly awful) and Hyacinth Bucket who has the comedy written around them.

Winner was a surprise as was the order of the top ten , its very subjective because it really depends who the judging panel are, you would not get the same answer twice regarding the order . After they decided there were still arguments from some of the panel . The results are online I found it on a site www. Chortle.co.uk which I haven't visited before . Its dedicated to comedy so might explore a bit more .

I think their article summed up how difficult staging that show was because in the leader they mention that neither of the Steptoe's were included for example and they were groundbreaking and the comedy was so well written when you consider the number of 30 minute shows they did with the large majority only featuring the father and son .

• Alan Partridge
  • Ali G
  • Arkwright
  • Basil Fawlty
  • Blackadder
  • Captain Mainwaring
  • Compo
  • David Brent
  • Del Boy
  • Father Ted
  • Fleabag
  • Fletcher
  • Frank Spencer
  • Geraldine Granger
  • Hancock
  • Hyacinth Bucket
  • Malcolm Tucker
  • Margo Leadbetter
  • Martin Bryce
  • Miranda
  • Mr Bean
  • Mrs Brown
  • Mrs Merton
  • Nessa Jenkins
  • Patsy Jones
  • Perry
  • Rick
  • Rigsby
  • Sir Humphrey Appleby
  • Victor Meldrew
I don't understand why Albert Steptoe is NOT on the list, yet Mrs Brown IS.

Must be a mistake.

I think they were looking at unique characters, which of course the Steptoe's , Alf Garnett and Frankie Howerd's Lurcio are [and their audience figures more than match some of these characters/shows] and the impact they had . I think Mrs Brown is just awful but when it first aired the British Public hadn't really seen anything like that before and you can say that for most of the list . Mrs Brown has gone on far too long and is past stale but Auntie keeps commissioning Brendan Carroll to make more.

Thing what got me was one of the panel members of so called experts said compo was a pervert and places him bottom at number 30 then del boy is number 2 now if I remember rightly del boy had a bit of an intrest in women in the early days and it would often be suggested about him with them

I remember rightly del boy had a bit of an intrest in women

There are a few on the list who you could say fall into that Category to varying degrees Arkwright and Rigsby obsessed with one lady Nurse Gladys and Miss Jones respectively, Basil Fawlty allegedly interested in the Australian " Hayseed" guest , I don't watch but Partridge has many critics of his Sexist manner as was David Brent, who I personally can't stand and don't get the humour . Tarring Compo with that brush is rather disconcerting.

The funniest character doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet. One of the funniest characters for me is Boycie in 'Only Fools and Horses' and 'The Green Green Grass'. He is a character so well played by John Challis. I cannot imagine anyone else capable of playing that character. When you see him you do not think of John Challis, you think 'Boycie'.

Back