Brian Wilde

It's a funny thing, that, I suppose. Bill Owen always thought he was the star, probably he was the most recognisable. Brian Wilde seemed to think he was the star, and I read somewhere he was paid more than the rest, but to my mind it was only ever Mr Sallis who actually was the star. Don't get me wrong, I loved them all, but Mr Sallis seemed to hold it all together.

I am with you there, young Rhi. Bill Owen's contention was based on his having been in cinema film more than the others. There was some cachet to it back then. But to me the real actor has had to show a real ability on stage and that is where Peter Sallis and Michael Aldridge had the edge. And yes, reports were that Brian Wilde was paid almost twice as much as the other two which certainly caused some friction and to my mind could not be justified.

But then, particularly now I find very little the BBC does in paying out ridiculous sums to nonentities and the talentless can be justified, not no how.

The trio having different salaries; now there is a touchy topic that never dawned on me! I could only imagine they would be equal, but I am quite naive some times!

In posts, I often compare Summer Wine to the classic comedy duos and trios, such at Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, and the Three Stooges. This is because I often think of Clegg and Blamire (and a little Foggy and Seymour) as the straight men, whereas as Compo was more of the role of the outrageous, slapstick-style comedian. Back then (1920s-40s), the straight men were alweays paid more because for some reason a good straight man to compliment the silliness of the other was a rare find. There was always considered an abundance of the outrageous, slapstick types, therefor they were paid less. I am not saying that is fair, but it does sound like Summer Wine!

Ah, Big Unc, no ones called me young for 30 years! But thank you, kind sir! I agree, the ninnies who populate the screens these days are paid outrageous amounts for little, if any, talent. Going by all the hints in the various books about the show, it seems Mr Sallis was indeed the peacemaker of the team. I find this easy to believe, as he comes over as a genuinely good man.

Co stars not always seeing eye to eye seems to be a common thing. I remember watching a documentary about Red Dwarf and Craig Charles saying that at the beginning that he and Chris Barrie could not stand each other, I think they got on better in later series.

It's to Brian Wildes and Bill Owens credit that they never allowed their disagreements to affect the show, indeed I guess in a way it even may of added to it.

It's to Brian Wildes and Bill Owens credit that they never allowed their disagreements to affect the show, indeed I guess in a way it even may of added to it.

That is excellently stated. No matter how much we discuss feuds within the cast or difficult personalities on the set, the bottom line is Owen and Wilde were devoted to make the show work. Since it is not possible for us to sit down and have a beer with them, I am choosing not to be concerned by what I hear and just appreciate these two characters.

And as I mentioned before, on top of them working around their disagreements, there at times were so many scenes with deep discussions and moments between just the two of them. The result is us enjoying ending Series of the fabulous trio.

Back