Ban Texting

wow..i didn't realise that this wonderful show attracted so many unpleasant arrogant people. It's no wonder Eli wants to leave with comments like "labels the writer as a bit of a d*ckhead" and "That's moronic". It seems respect isn't high on peoples thoughts here.

Language evolves all the time, and this sort of abreviation is very common online. This sort of reaction to it and trying to impose your style of speech is like King Canute trying to hold back the tide.

Maybe i need to take my own advice and take a short break from here, this sort of unpleasant conservative gang mentality has always made my blood pressure rise

I actually never said Our friend Eli was a D*ckhead. I'm assuming he is sending an actual text. It's not being dinosaur-minded to want proper English written. Text-speak doesn't convey clearly what it means. That's evident from the fact that people are confused by it. Only properly-written English can do that. Using text-speak is okay from a phone pad, as it's such as useless and slow method of writing characters from what was originally designed to be a numerics pad.

a couple of points b4 i leave, compo u didnt say it was me but u implied it was me and tht upset me, and and7barton tht form of cyber-bullying by also implying im a d*ckhead isnt needed on this forum tht has really upset me, once again a few people have upset summat wonderful in my life and i will miss most people on this forum once i delete my account.

p.s. thanks 4 sticking up 4 me jakob, it means a lot, i hope this subject doesnt make u wanna leave also i wud hate 2 think i caused others 2 leave who are ok, hope ur back on here after sum time out

OK lets see if I can put a stop to this as enough is enough,it only tends to put new members off joining.

I mentioned to Eli before that txt speak in the forum is not ideal,personally for me,and yes I am a old git,I find it hard work reading,having to double check it's meaning to make sure I have understood what the poster is trying to say, so if the post is more than a few words I give up,which is sad as the poster may have something really useful to say. So to other members I will say if you are unhappy trying to read this txt style of writing then just ignore it, it is the poster that is then trying to convey a message that will not be read by everybody and that is a shame.

There is no doubt there are members here that can quote the Queens english to the letter and I admire them for that, and there may be some members here or future members that because of difficulties find it hard to read/write full stop, and maybe and I do not know if this is the case that txt speak is easier for them to read, or will it confuse them even more.

So the option I take on this is if members want to use txt speak,do not expect me to spend too much time trying to work out what is it being posted,It would be the same for me if someone posted in a foreign language.

Terry

No text speak please ,english language only if you want to use this strange language please use it on your phone ,not on our site.Rant over lets get back to the reason we are all on here LOTSW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back