Ban Texting

C

Compo

I know that one of us or a couple try to be modern etc but this texting has to stop. It is a bloody pain in the _ _ _ _... Honestly this should be stopped. This is suppose to be a fun forum and not one that you have to spend time figuring out the words.. There is a place for texting so use it there. Thankyou.

I have never got the gist of texting, I just don't understand what those abbreviated terms mean. ???

I know that one of us or a couple try to be modern etc but this texting has to stop. It is a bloody pain in the _ _ _ _... Honestly this should be stopped. This is suppose to be a fun forum and not one that you have to spend time figuring out the words.. There is a place for texting so use it there. Thankyou.

I,m afraid its a common thing now Compo although sometimes it does get out of hand but it does not bother me that much :)

this is a second thread now tht seems 2 b focused on having a pop at me and tbh im fed up of it, im from the modern world and txting is easier 4 me, im not on here 2 b harrassed im here 2 enjoy last of the summer wine with others but this has got 2 me now, and i doubt i will b posting on here anymore, infact once all the series polls have been done i will b deleting my account from here cause i dont need this harrassment like im getting, its a shame cause there are nice people on here but 1 or 2 seem 2 b ganging up on me and ive had enough.

How about if you just ignore posts you don't understand...or you could just accept that language moves on and that abbreviations online are s common part of our culture now and stop trying to control what others post. You could always just take a bit of time to learn what the abbreviations mean...it's not hard

I would like to say that my topic was NOT targeted at anyone on this site but a general observation that was prompted by a text from my grandaughter. I'm sorry if anyone thinks I was targeting them or singling them out I would never do that, I am not and never have been a bully and find that allegation very upsetting.

I take every topic on this forum has a general discussion.

When I came to this forum I was happy about it. Not that I am not now but I was feeling that this is an adult forum. Considering the name of the forum is LOTSW I wasn't expecting teen boppers to come on it and talk weird. I figured this was a forum for grown ups. But as only a couple want to talk this way why should "we" change. To change or ignore is out of order. It only looks like who is doing this is trying to show off simple as that. Come on lets get normal. Ok we know you can speak in text.

When I came to this forum I was happy about it. Not that I am not now but I was feeling that this is an adult forum. Considering the name of the forum is LOTSW I wasn't expecting teen boppers to come on it and talk weird. I figured this was a forum for grown ups. But as only a couple want to talk this way why should "we" change. To change or ignore is out of order. It only looks like who is doing this is trying to show off simple as that. Come on lets get normal. Ok we know you can speak in text.

that sounds so unwelcoming and not very pleasant..."a forum for grown ups" "wasn't expecting teen boppers to come on it and talk weird".

Why does there have to be "we" and "them"? it's a free world and anyone can speak and use whatever grammer or type of speak they like. If you don't understand it, just ignore it...there are plenty of posts on here and other forums which i just ignore becasue i don't understand them or they just don't interest me.

trying to force others to conform to the way you think we should speak/type is, to me, totally out of order (and it would be the same if they were trying to make everyone use txt speak). If you don't understand a post (and let's be honest, it's hardly difficult to understand that ur means you are, or that thx means thanx), you can either ignore it, or just politely ask for clarification of what they were saying. It's hardly controversial, it's just common sense!

Whereabouts does Compo single Eli out about writing messages in 'text' format?

As regards to this site being for adults, as far as I am concerned it's for adults, young adults, teenagers and generally even children.

I am not a fan of 'text' style messages as it murders the English language, yet we can't disallow it any more than messages in block capitals (known as shouting) or messages in a foreign language.

I find it uneasy on the eye to struggle reading messages in 'text', so sometimes I choose not to bother reading it. Same with messages without punctuation, and larger messages not divided into paragraphs. If it's hard to read I don't always bother with it. Why should I?

I don't see a real advantage writing a message in 'text' though. There is no doubt in my mind that the easiest way to read a message is if it's in proper English, with punctuation.

After all, that's why 'proper English' exists - so we can read it properly.

that sounds so unwelcoming and not very pleasant..."a forum for grown ups" "wasn't expecting teen boppers to come on it and talk weird".

Why does there have to be "we" and "them"? it's a free world and anyone can speak and use whatever grammer or type of speak they like. If you don't understand it, just ignore it...there are plenty of posts on here and other forums which i just ignore becasue i don't understand them or they just don't interest me.

trying to force others to conform to the way you think we should speak/type is, to me, totally out of order (and it would be the same if they were trying to make everyone use txt speak). If you don't understand a post (and let's be honest, it's hardly difficult to understand that ur means you are, or that thx means thanx), you can either ignore it, or just politely ask for clarification of what they were saying. It's hardly controversial, it's just common sense!

This is a great Fourm that enables everyone to talk about their favourite show amongst friends lets just do that and stop all this unpleasentness and learn to get along with each other.We are all different and do things in different ways. :)

Whereabouts does Compo single Eli out about writing messages in 'text' format?

As regards to this site being for adults, as far as I am concerned it's for adults, young adults, teenagers and generally even children.

I am not a fan of 'text' style messages as it murders the English language, yet we can't disallow it any more than messages in block capitals (known as shouting) or messages in a foreign language.

I find it uneasy on the eye to struggle reading messages in 'text', so sometimes I choose not to bother reading it. Same with messages without punctuation, and larger messages not divided into paragraphs. If it's hard to read I don't always bother with it. Why should I?

I don't see a real advantage writing a message in 'text' though. There is no doubt in my mind that the easiest way to read a message is if it's in proper English, with punctuation.

After all, that's why 'proper English' exists - so we can read it properly.

I did not mention Eli's name. So read carefully... But there was nothing wrong with voicing my opinion. Yes I agree that the forum is for everyone. But like many soap operas only people of a certain age and who like soaps would watch. I really don't think that young people would appreciate this forum. It is not their cup of tea. Shamefull but that's the way it is.

Text is usually used for people in a hurry on the mobile. So I won't change but to ignore is being unklind. So the writer should be fair. Would the writer send a text to his Gran or Auntie or anyone of a certain age. Anyways enough said about this.

It does take a while to decipher some times.

I have to agree - but then I was never any good at any other language than Standard English. :eek: :eek:

Reflects my education.

Simple answer is that I might miss some pearls of wisdom, but that is a choice. We all make choices.

I have to be blunt. I try never to be anything else.

I have followed this thread and at least one parallel thread.

I do have a mobile telephone, the device on which I presume this "texting" originated.

I note that with a mobile telephone, when in the texting mode, there is the capability to transmit a capital letter. There is the capabilty to transmit all forms of punctuation mark. So, I suppose my question is, why, given that the capability is there, why is it not used. There is, in fact the capability to transmit a message in perfect English. SO, WHY NOT DO SO?

Someone has, on this forum, suggested that the grapheme "ur" should be readily comprehensible. Well, to me, the best I can make of it is an incorrectly spelt "err" or maybe the sound "eeer", as in "yuk". I understand that it is intended to mean "you are". Well, if I wanted to abbreviate "you are", and I cannot imagine why anyone would, I would try something along the lines "U R". At least that use capital letters which is standard for abbreviations.

I recall someone has tried to justify the use of texting as a generation thing. What generation? When did being accurate and comprehensible go out of the window?

Back to being blunt. I consider transmitting in this gibberish called "texting" an insult to all with whom I am trying to communicate. On a mobile phone, the facilities for correct English are there but do require a bit of extra effort. On a PC, with a keyboard, using elementary elements of the language like capitals and punctuation and complete, correct spelling requires minimal effort. By resorting to "text" the originator is saying to the rest of the forum that as far as he or she is concerned they are just not worth his or her bother.

I am perhaps missing something important here, but ...

If I use my telephone to dial another telephone ...

and if that telephone answers my call ...

why the hell do I misuse my thumbs to text when all
I really need to do is SPEAK???? Utter words??

Isn't it a matter, once again, of respect. I respect the right in others to text, they must respect my right to ignore it!

I missed a visit from a cousin last year, only because she didn't bother to check if I 'text'. She knew that I had a mobile phone, but not that it is only for emergencies. I switch it off unless it is in use.

I think the mportant thing is - When you use TXT SPK, are you actually texting, or are you typing on a keyboard on a computer ? - If you are texting your message to this site from a phone, then I guess it's okay to use TXT SPK, although personally, I text in proper English......... But there's no excuse for using TXT SPK from a keyboard. THAT'S moronic if my opinion. It's like insisting on conversing with your friends in a mock German accent, or putting on a silly Bugs Bunny voice every time you talking with people.

The strange thing about all this is that you are expected to understand this texting. Thank God we don't have secretaries in this forum writing in shorthand. LOL

I'm afraid it does look like gibberish, yes !
I do have some sympathy if he was sending it from a phone actually BY text as it's a pretty laborious task. But I'll admit that because it's such an onerous job, I NEVER send texts these days anyway. I've probably sent around three or four texts EVER in my life, but being a trifle pedantic, and a stickler for "Getting it right", I used old fashioned proper English every time.
BUT - There's no excuse for writing in TXT on a proper keyboard. It labels the writer as a bit of a d*ckhead in my opinion. There are a few old traditions that shouldn't be in force these days (Things like standing when a woman enter the room, for instance), but we MUST keep our standards up when writing English !

Back