Any advice to anyone watching the show for the very first time

Watch and LISTEN to the first ten mins they talk about it for a couple of mins when they are talking about louis bickerdyke

Shriveller (also shriveler) can be taken as a shrivelling look but it has an alternative meaning:

http://www.definition-of.com/shriveller

I was certainly aware of this definition and I always thought that there was this hint of double entendre in the episode with reference to shrivelled looking carrots ....

As I was thinking of user names for the forum, I thought of the Shriveler as I really like that episode! Dodged a bullet on that one! I figured shriveler meant simply a look of disdain or arrogance meant to put someone in their place. Can you imagine...Hello everyone, I'm the Shriveler... . :p

As I was thinking of user names for the forum, I thought of the Shriveler as I really like that episode! Dodged a bullet on that one! I figured shriveler meant simply a look of disdain or arrogance meant to put someone in their place. Can you imagine...Hello everyone, I'm the Shriveler... . :p

More red faced than a carrot!

I do not think flat cap has any dubious overtones or undertones ...

I figured shriveler meant simply a look of disdain or arrogance meant to put someone in their place. Can you imagine...Hello everyone, I'm the Shriveler... . :p

Same here :-[! Mind you, I´m excused, English is a foreign language to me.

Eli, This is such a good topic because after first reading it the question always remained in the back of my head.

Another topic circulating around the Forum is the "somewhat" dry spell of the latter part of Foggy's 2nd term. In other words, the slight decline in the quality of the show. As I watch from Series 1 to the end I don't notice much difference year by year. However, my main Pub.TV station is on Series 17 and a newer one (WETA-UK) is on Series 12. Catching a couple of the slightly older ones on the second channel allows me to see a clear difference in quality. Therefor, two recently watched episodes from Series 12 would be great for introducing the show to another person. These are also less popular episodes, according to Terry's recent polls.

1. Roll On- (OK, maybe this is the shorter attention-span, slapstick American part of me talking)This one would be great to introduce to someone recently retiring because it shows the determination of three retired guys focusing their commitment and energy to accomplishing something so silly and mindless, Barrel Rolling. Of course, walking around Holmfirth in barrels adds to the comedy.

2. Walking Stiff Can Make You Famous- The episode is a great character study. Here is shows Foggy and his delusions of grandeur. Thinking he should be raised to greater status in his country and community for his military past, the episode shows an in depth struggle of Foggy refusing to realize he is just an average citizen at best. Much of the episode is based on his determination to be famous. A good character contrast in this episode is Clegg and Compo who are perfectly content on being nobody's. Also, like "Roll ON", this episode is ultimately based on retired folk with nothing better to do than idiotic things!

I would tell anyone new to LOTSW that they are in for a real treat. It's quality, clean, family-oriented humor that puts senior citizens in the most positive light possible, despite them acting like juvenile delinquents! It's a nice and refreshing change of pace from the foul-mouthed tripe and low-brow dialogue that passes for a lot of TV programming nowadays. They'll enjoy everything from the witty one-liners to the slapstick, physical comedy bits. Each character brings something great and pivotal to the show. After watching a scant few episodes, they'll soon realize why this show had the staying power it did, and why it will still be talked about ane enjoyed long after we're all gone.

Back