Any advice to anyone watching the show for the very first time

E

Eli Thingy

basically as i say in the title, what advice would you give to anyone who was going to watch an episode of last of the summer wine for the first time?

my advice would b simple, dont watch the pilot first, yes us fans tht like the show whatever will watch it but 4 me its just a bit 2 slow in the middle and might put people off the show if they watch it first, watch it after youve gotten into the show is my advice

Same here. That's what I did and am now as mad as ever about LOTSW!!!! ;D

Pick an episode you think is particularly funny and have them start with that. For me that would be the episode Greenfingers. Maybe fill them in a bit on who the characters are, but otherwise it will either be their cup of tea or it won't be.

Put a sign on the sitting room door saying "Gone to the country". Sit on your favourite armchair with a hot cuppa tea and a bacon butty and enjoy your visit to another world which you will never want to leave..

basically as i say in the title, what advice would you give to anyone who was going to watch an episode of last of the summer wine for the first time?

my advice would b simple, dont watch the pilot first, yes us fans tht like the show whatever will watch it but 4 me its just a bit 2 slow in the middle and might put people off the show if they watch it first, watch it after youve gotten into the show is my advice

We are all different, bet we watche the pilot when it was first broadcast, waited in hope for them to make the first series, and never looked back.

We are all different, bet we watche the pilot when it was first broadcast, waited in hope for them to make the first series, and never looked back.

i suppose u people who saw it in 73 think of it differently, its just i saw it back in the 90's 4 the first time and ever since then i feel it was a slow episode, i agree the show had legs 2 run but the pilot isnt a classic imo, altho i respect it 4 what it started.

The pilot was part of something called Comedy Playhouse. You got a series of comedies from various writers and they may or may not have made it any further. We in our house loved it, but not everyone did.

I have always loved Of Funerals and Fish, especially
Clegg's closing line, something like "I think I'll
get some sausage for me tea." Absolutely
beautiful!! And the bit with Clegg hitching a ride
into the churchyard by grabbing a passing car while
on his bike. Magic!! And putting the "tiddlers" back
in the creek.

To introduce a Brit to the show, show them Full
Steam Behind.

I have always loved Of Funerals and Fish, especially
Clegg's closing line, something like "I think I'll
get some sausage for me tea." Absolutely
beautiful!! And the bit with Clegg hitching a ride
into the churchyard by grabbing a passing car while
on his bike. ....

even more poignant it was a hearse, and he was on his way to lay flowers at his wife's grave, she having only recently departed.

I would also show them something from Series 6. The most popular trio are in full flow, the series' slapstick elements have successfully blended with the more contemplative humour and actors like John Comer and Joe Glawin are still around to enjoy.

My absolute favourite product of Summer Wine is Getting Same Home, but I feel that may be a little too atypical if you are looking to hook somebody for the long haul.

I am inclined to think of the first two series, The Blamire Years, as a separate show. Things changed after Foggy came along, it all got so much more physical. I loved it just as much, but it was never the same.

Starting with season 6 is a great idea. Although, starting with season 8 with the intensifying of Nora and Wally's comedy would be great too.

I now like the Blamire years, but for most American viewers such as myself, that takes an acquired liking that might take time. It seems as if the Foggy years have more "mass appeal".

I mentioned this before but I will go ahead and repeat myself. It might be unintentional of Roy Clarke, but I see this great underlying theme of the show that glorifies single living and casts a very negative light on married life. The ultimate episode behind this theme for me is Set the People Free. A co-worker of mine is divorce. Her husband left her for another woman years ago. She told me that she saw them recently and realized they are completely miserable and her own life is quite nice. I told her about Summer Wine. I probably should have recommended Set the People Free to her on youtube.

Another coworker of mine retired. I told him about this show that glorifies retired life. I know....the show started out with redundancy, but one must admit, most of those 37 years would be of retirement time. A silly wandering around episode, such as Follow That Bottle, might be appropriate for a person entering retirement to see.

I am happily married. However, when retired, I would love to set aside 2-3 days ahead for the Compo, Clegg, and Foggy lifestyle. I don't know how possible that would be.

I agree Codfanglers, For the stateside folks who are not Britcom fans you have to brief them on the single life and husband "downing".I think its funny. I have met a lot of folks who love the show once I give them the details, if not they kind of look at you weird. ???
Also when I started watching Britcoms a few years ago, I really did better if I recorded it and watched it a second time, you miss a lot due to trying to keep up with the accent.
I also agree the foggy or the Seymour years, a lot of slap stick style comedy stuff there and I think us americans can associate with that more, due to a lot of our comedy movies/shows having such bits in them.
Just my take on it.
Good question Eli

Pick an episode you think is particularly funny and have them start with that. For me that would be the episode Greenfingers. Maybe fill them in a bit on who the characters are, but otherwise it will either be their cup of tea or it won't be.

Fully agreed, I have said exactly the same thing somewhere on here, isn´t that funny? Greenfingers is also my first choice and one of my top favourites and what I would show somebody who doesn´t know the show.

Fully agreed, I have said exactly the same thing somewhere on here, isn´t that funny? Greenfingers is also my first choice and one of my top favourites and what I would show somebody who doesn´t know the show.

Greenfingers was on gold tonight one of the very best the opening sences in Cleggs kitchen talking about Compos schrivler is a classic moment.If i had watched that sence along and never seen the show i proberly would have carried on watching. :)

Greenfingers was on gold tonight one of the very best the opening sences in Cleggs kitchen talking about Compos schrivler is a classic moment.If i had watched that sence along and never seen the show i proberly would have carried on watching. :)

Having puzzled about it over night, intense curiosity forces me to ask exactly what is meant by "Compos schrivler". Is this some new form of text speak (an outright abomination to me as a lover of the English language who hates seeing it mangled in any way)?

Back