60 Years of the Carry ons

mashibinbin

Dedicated Member
2018 marks 60 years since the inception of the Carry Ons with none other than Summer Wine's own Bill Owen in a leading role in the very first. What did you think of them and for the quizzers which entries in the series did he appear in? :)

I am a big fan as a matter of fact I am watching What a Carry on which happens to be on the Yesterday channel at this very moment . Bill I believe was in 4 Carry Ons Sergeant, Regardless, Nurse and Cabby . I have Carry on Forever which ITV broadcast a year or so ago recorded on my TIVO box which I am about to replace so with no way of copying them off I am gutted to be losing them suppose they will be on You Tube.

I bought the Carry on Companion Book years ago and the pages are well thumbed . The later ones frankly should never have been made especially Carry on Behind and Emmanuelle the series was waning and they milked the cash cow too many times . The PC police would have a field day with the content today but the humour is of an age and they remain extremely popular today .

On Facebook someone said that in the famous bra scene in Carry on Camping Sarah Thomas was one of the Bikini girls

Did a quick Google search but was not able to find Sarah Thomas listed in there. The pictures I found that had names for the ladies with darker hair in that scene did not say Sarah. If you can point me to a pic or link that shows otherwise I would be grateful.

I did discover that Anna Karen (Olive from On the Buses) is the lady in the blue swimwear! http://www.ciaranbrown.com/karen.html

Ha, just found out Sarah did a brief cameo in a Black Adder episode. Will need to go back and re-watch that one - The Witchsmeller Pursuivant.

How can you not like the Carry On crew!!! They are legendary, and were on Foxtel here recently over the holidays..
Like Captain said - they really lost their way towards the last couple - I think it was desperation to keep it going and cash in... but I'll always watch em!

Sometimes its better to end on a high than lose everything they built up

Did a quick Google search but was not able to find Sarah Thomas listed in there. The pictures I found that had names for the ladies with darker hair in that scene did not say Sarah. If you can point me to a pic or link that shows otherwise I would be grateful.

I did discover that Anna Karen (Olive from On the Buses) is the lady in the blue swimwear! http://www.ciaranbrown.com/karen.html

Ha, just found out Sarah did a brief cameo in a Black Adder episode. Will need to go back and re-watch that one - The Witchsmeller Pursuivant.

It was just a comment made on Facebook,claiming Sarah was one of the girls, I had a look and did not spot her

The interesting thing if you Google Carry on Camping and select images the scene comes up several times and it appears they shot it a few times over and there are different girls in each shot so who knows, without watching the final scene in the film itself which set of girls they used and if Sarah is indeed in the film .
_47780950_tv000138230.jpg

carry 3.jpg

That first photo is odd. It includes a Kenny Williams lookalike and a Barbara Windsor lookalike. Do you think it’s some sort of rehearsal to see what the seen would look like?

You are right Raggy , didn't they do a drama documentary about Kenneth and possibly Barbara Windsor so on reflection this shot could be from that rather than the film

There was a tv programme called Fantabulosa made in the 2000s which I saw but I’m sure it’s not from that.

My wife has just informed me that it’s from a made for TV movie called Babs and the actress playing Barbara Windsor is Samantha Spiro . Not sure she’s right though, although I didn’t tell her that.

I think your good lady is right , the film Babs was about her life did have Samantha Spiro cast as Babs and Robin Sebastian as Kenneth Williams I did watch it but just cannot remember if they recreated the Carry on Camping shot , a lot of the film was taken up with details of her relationship with her Dad, Ronnie Knight and Joan Plowright but clearly covered the Carry On's so every chance they recreated that scene.

Many planned revivals of the Carry Ons never made it.

Carry On Again Nurse/Carry On Nursing was planned in the late 70s, and revised again in the late 80s, but never happpened.

Carry On Texas/Carry On Dallas was also planned in the late 80s, but not to be.

Carry On London was planned for the best part of the 00s, never happened thankfully.

Carry On Doctors and Carry On Campus were planned for around 2017, and that has gone quiet fortunately.

Carry On Columbus in 1992 was the only revival that took place. It featured seven surviving regulars, and although bad could have been considerably worse.

You just can't recreate some things, mainly because someone who was never involved with the original wants to change things.

IF you enjoyed that one film then they are available at a reasonable price on Amazon the whole ultimate collection with 30 movies is priced reasonably as long as you have a multi region DVD player.

Back