When should the series have ended

When do you think the series should have ended

• Total voters
To be really honest, even though I love the series, I don't care for it much after Foggy's final episode (A Sidecar Named Desire), and I always end my journeys through my DVD box set at that episode. I don't much care for Truly or Hobbo, and I think the episode plots sometimes seemed to get a bit boring in later episodes. The series seemed to lose it's comfortable cosiness and it seemed to take me out of the "comfort zone" the earlier episodes put me in. There were some good episodes in later years but really, in my opinion, the series should have finished at the end of series 18 when Foggy left, or at least stopped after Compo's funeral. It just didn't feel right after that.

Last edited:
I didn't know that & can't find it on my dvd, maybe it's not a full episode on all discs. Could someone upload a still of that frame on here please. Thanks in advance.
At that stage Graham I was laid out on the pub floor, they found me two days later

As a surviving actor I'm sure he would have been welcome at the 50th anniversary events with open arms. It's a shame others couldn't attend aswell.

Although our show was originally the musings of 3 great friends...wandering around....doing very little it made us barmpots simply fall in love with the whole concept.....the characters became our friends...and in my humble opinion became real.
Although after Compo's passing more characters became involved there were still some fantastic episodes.
Certain barmpots were not fond of the slapstick elements of our show...but.....we all still tuned in !!!......as our resident GENIUS Roger said...."it should have gone on forever"......AND I FOR ONE WOULD NOT ARGUE WITH HIM !!!!
People pass away....people become old and infirm....that was the real problem facing Roy [and let's be honest....it was getting so difficult for him to write a new exciting funny storyline.....episodes that would grip us like his previous ones].....I think we can all agree that the "new" characters in the latter series were not as popular...but then again....our show was simply PERFECTION for so many years.
If our show would have continued.....no matter how weak the storylines....or....the fact that I was not keen on a specific character I would have been glued to my TV....simply because I am a self confessed SUMMERWINE ADDICT !!!!.......just like every one of my Summerwine family members !!!!.
X!

@MoodyBlue
You’re right! Why couldn’t it have carried on?
Soaps have been running for longer and they keep coming up with new storylines all the time. And as you say the attraction is not a lot really happens and that is the joy of watching. So what if some of the themes are rehashed, that’s what we love, nothing really happens!!!

Case in point, I've tonight watched The Man Who Invented Yorkshire Funny Stuff. The synopsis for those who're not familiar with the episode is thus;
Clegg & Truly read about a C Cooper in the paper, they think it's someone they know from school so they go looking for him from house to house. In a subplot Howard has to get a life size model gorilla home from Aunties.
Doesn't sound particularly exciting? however it's still a really funny episode and the basic story line doesn't detract from this. I'm sure it would have been possible to come up with many more great episodes with not too much imagination of the plot IMO.

This talk of rebooting the show has me wondering about maybe using the cast of "First of the Summer Wine." They would be older now but still young enough for the time period of before "Last of the Summer Wine" started. Maybe drop us in a decade or so before...

But who would write it? Roy Clarke is now in his 90s!

Back