TOYS

Now that sounds VERY weird to me, to read that you have been playing with Stukas and Messerschmidts.
Hm, being a girl I never went in for playing with Matchbox cars (though I had a few) etc., let alone with any war things, and none of my friends either, not even the male ones. But Lego and such things, yes. I loved my plush toys, I had tons of them, teddy bears, cats etc., and I had some of these kitschy plastic ponies, My Little Pony. I hated it on TV, but I liked the figurines, I only found one the other day because my parents are clearing up parts of the house and all these things keep turning up, so this is the right time to ask about toys. But I think I didn´t even play with such things so often, I spent my days either outside, climbing trees, riding our bikes or playing at the pond with friends or whatever we did, sounds quite Summer Wine-ish and it was, that´s probably aprt of why I like it so much. On rainy days we sometimes played with our toys together, or we painted pictures or so. Thank god we just didn´t have the opportunity to spend our days watching TV or playing computer games yet.
The only thing I didn´t like playing with at all was dolls, I never knew what to do with them, found them the most boring things in the world.

My favourite toys as a kid were my cap guns and holsters and my cowboy hat

And me mate, I had the same! The caps were like red paper coiled things with little spots of gunpowder on them that you fed into the gun. I had a Red Cowboy hat with tassles!

Sounds like Sid and Wally - Deep in the heart of Yorkshire :D

It was just like that mate, only I was about 5!

I dont think you can get cap guns any more.
I remember spud guns stick a piece of spud in the barrel and fire!! could hurt if hit in face.

Sorry guys but I need to throw in a few girly toys into this little testosterone thread :D Piper dolls and Tiny Tears were my toys of chose, my brother use to "Borrow "my Pipper doll, I use to find her with Action Man in his tent !?
But my favourite game was 2 tennis balls up against wall. :D

I also remember having a Evil Kenivel stunt cycle that you wound up on a special stand and then let it go!! we made big ramps for Evil to jump over until we tried one jump to far and it landed in a pond on the local green.....

I also remember having a Evil Kenivel stunt cycle that you wound up on a special stand and then let it go!! we made big ramps for Evil to jump over until we tried one jump to far and it landed in a pond on the local green.....

Yes! My cousin had one of those and we had hours of fun with it! You had to stick the back wheel in the workings of the wind up mechanism, rev it up and off it went...It was ace!

Sorry guys but I need to throw in a few girly toys into this little testosterone thread :D Piper dolls and Tiny Tears were my toys of chose, my brother use to "Borrow "my Pipper doll, I use to find her with Action Man in his tent !?
But my favourite game was 2 tennis balls up against wall. :D
My wife used to amuse/astound my daughters with the tennis ball "keepy uppy " and she could also do a number with juggling three in one/ sometimes each hand. :D

Now that sounds VERY weird to me, to read that you have been playing with Stukas and Messerschmidts.

Well that's a nice insult isn't it?

When did I ever mention I was PLAYING with these.
That is something I never did. They were models and nothing more.

Well that's a nice insult isn't it?

When did I ever mention I was PLAYING with these.
That is something I never did. They were models and nothing more.

Insult? Sorry, I don´t get it.
Oh, so you made models of them. I thought you were playing with them, my generation isn´t used to building models of things and then just put them on a shelf, I beg your pardon. So you were probably a bit older then and not a little boy anymore?

If your tin can alley was similar to ours Amos we must be in a similar age group. ;) We used to put a can somewhere central(agreed on) and then we all hid except one and he would try and find one of the rest . The can was kicked over if he did and then the game started again with whoever was first to be found. As I remember the name of the game was either tin can lurky or larkey.(It is a long while since I last played it ::) )

If your tin can alley was similar to ours Amos we must be in a similar age group. ;) We used to put a can somewhere central(agreed on) and then we all hid except one and he would try and find one of the rest . The can was kicked over if he did and then the game started again with whoever was first to be found. As I remember the name of the game was either tin can lurky or larkey.(It is a long while since I last played it ::) )

The tin can ally that i remember was in the 1970s and i think was made by ideal or mb games iremember when i was a nipper
Another game was called crossfire which had a big board with plastic guns at each end and you fired marbles across the board i think my cousins in Cambridge had this

Toy guns seemed to be everywhere when I was young,they must of sold millions over the years,I guess you cannot even buy them these days

Toy guns seemed to be everywhere when I was young,they must of sold millions over the years,I guess you cannot even buy them these days
A lad on our road had an uncle in America who sent him a cap pistol with the revolving chamber and removable imitation bullets.These were nothing to do with the caps but the police checked it over one day on the street and confiscated the bullets! They visited his parents and he had to give up the gun (just in case!!) The year was approx 1957. ::)

A lad on our road had an uncle in America who sent him a cap pistol with the revolving chamber and removable imitation bullets.These were nothing to do with the caps but the police checked it over one day on the street and confiscated the bullets! They visited his parents and he had to give up the gun (just in case!!) The year was approx 1957. ::)

My toy guns were only made of plastic and made laser sounds from star wars although i did have an A.Team machine gun and a old type cowboy gun.Do not know what happened to these
Did anybody have any of these toys

Escape from Colditz
M.a.s.k. figures or vehicles
Hangman
Connect Four
Starbird
Trival pursuit(tv edition) I had two different t.p games tv edition and genius edition
some of the questions were tough.
Top trump cards,I think i had several sets including cars,planes.football
Still around now my nephews have got some new sets

I still have toys ;D
On my desk in front of me is a Mamod SL1 live steam train that I'm dismantling to repair a fractured pipe. In the display cupboard behind me are numerous die cast cars and upstairs many dozens still in boxes I've now decided not to keep. I've also got a radio controlled helicopter and still have a Polistil race track and cars plus loads of extra track my wife bought me one Xmas (32 years ago ::) ).
When young it was plastic models (an obsession) balsa flying models, Action man, Lego, Mecanno (had several sets including a 12 speed motor set and the electronics set) and Phillips electronics kit.

Paul H

I started with Dinky Toys then Matchbox and started on model railways something I still do having my layout in the back room .When I was very young our gang played with toy guns ,bows and arrows ,swords(wooden) and we played tin can tommy ,football with a tin can up and down the street,no traffic in the fifties!Also a game with string ,tye each end to a door knocker across the street and then pull the string and run like hell!We did not need expensive toys and our parents could not afford them but we had fun.

@ Amos:
Yes, we had a Trivial Pursuit in the 1980´s when I was still a child, but I can´t remember much about it.

Some of the board games that i had see if you had any of these

Monopoly
Operation
Brit quiz 1 and 2
Snakes and ladders
Dare
Game of life
A footbal game called team tactix?

I had a game called upwords and guess who but no idea what happened to most of these.Some i think went to charity shops.

Two toys I remember from my childhood ;
Etch-a-Sketch and a 7 in 1 weapon called Johnny 7.

Back