TOYS

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Whilst tidying out my loft reacently i came aross a box full of my old hornby train set i used to love this when i was younger i had a big layout in my bedroom also found my Star Wars toys,Board games and my matchbox cars.Can anybody remember their favourite toy or game when they were younger.I used to have some Dinky cars but they seem to have vanished some Dinky are collecters items now.Any you thoughts please.

Earliest toys I remember where my Dinky toys. When I see what some of them are worth now I despair, my mum gave them away when I was around 10/11 yrs old as she thought I was "Too old to play with those things".

Most of them where still in the boxes: A James Bond Aston Martin was my favourite but the one I regret her throwing away the most was Black Lincoln Continental which was from 'The Green Hornet' as they never went beyond the pilot episode I would imagine it to be worth a shilling or two nowadays.
I had the batmobile too along with some plastic batman figures and a full set of bubble gum cards.

As I got older I treasured both my Subbeteo Football and Cricket games.

Super Striker and Test Match were my fave games as a kid.
SS was where you had to press the players heads and they kicked the ball. TM was a great Cricket game where you had a bowler with a plastic xhute to release a ball and a Batsman you controlled with a small piece of string to hit the ball.
Before that I had Blow Football.
Operation and the Game iof Life were 2 more I remember playing as a nipper.

Earliest toys I remember where my Dinky toys. When I see what some of them are worth now I despair, my mum gave them away when I was around 10/11 yrs old as she thought I was "Too old to play with those things".

Most of them where still in the boxes: A James Bond Aston Martin was my favourite but the one I regret her throwing away the most was Black Lincoln Continental which was from 'The Green Hornet' as they never went beyond the pilot episode I would imagine it to be worth a shilling or two nowadays.
I had the batmobile too along with some plastic batman figures and a full set of bubble gum cards.

As I got older I treasured both my Subbeteo Football and Cricket games.

I use to collect the Matchbox cars and had many of them in boxes. Before we left for canada my Mum threw all away but did not throw her stuff away. LOL But you are right they are worth a fortune now..

Whilst tidying out my loft reacently i came aross a box full of my old hornby train set i used to love this when i was younger i had a big layout in my bedroom also found my Star Wars toys,Board games and my matchbox cars.Can anybody remember their favourite toy or game when they were younger.I used to have some Dinky cars but they seem to have vanished some Dinky are collecters items now.Any you thoughts please.

Amos, which Star Wars toys did you have? Just the characters, or the Batlle Cruisers aswell?
I had Han Solo, R2D2 and Darth Vader. Solo's gun got lost.

Amos, which Star Wars toys did you have? Just the characters, or the Batlle Cruisers aswell?

Do you remember the Corgi cars???

Yes Compo, I had Corgi and Matchbox when I was a kid. Matchbox were better as I recall.

Yes Compo, I had Corgi and Matchbox when I was a kid. Matchbox were better as I recall.
Corgi worth more though these days ;) My daughters ex hubby(no real loss) had one room dedicated to cars (both sorts) with all the boxes . It took a couple of days to dust ::)

Many many many years ago I had a job at die cast machine tools,who made the machines for all the Lone Star products,I did the complex wiring for these machines,which was often all day with a soldering iron, so I did see the production of many of the Matchbox vehicles

Crikey where do i start i found a shoe box full of figures
B wing fighter
Y wing fighter
Imperial Tie Fighter with a missing wing.

I used to have the big walker and the Millenium Falcon but these were given away much to my disgust.I used to treasure my collection and now my youngest nephew plays with them he loves Star Wars

Also does any body remember these.

Stretch Armstrong
Action man
Ker plunk
Twister

Ihad quite a few board games and puzzles but over the years these have either been thrown out or given to charity shops.One thing i never had though was a scalextric set.

I had a couple of Action Men. Trouble was that still been the 60's most of the outfits were the 2nd world war (my favourites were the French resistance and US marines) although I did have the astronaut.

Board games, I had Monopoly, a compendium(which I seemed to get every Xmas).

SS was where you had to press the players heads and they kicked the ball. TM was a great Cricket game where you had a bowler with a plastic xhute to release a ball and a Batsman you controlled with a small piece of string to hit the ball.

My brother hade both super striker and test match i liked playing them as well still got some subbuteo in the loft looking for a new or used pitch in good condition and a couple of goals so my two nephews can play it cos they are foorball mad even if they are Leeds United supporters(my brother is to blame for that.LOL :))

My brother hade both super striker and test match i liked playing them as well still got some subbuteo in the loft looking for a new or used pitch in good condition and a couple of goals so my two nephews can play it cos they are foorball mad even if they are Leeds United supporters(my brother is to blame for that.LOL :))

Subbuteo has just been relaunched in an upgraded form so you should be able to pick up the pitch and goals from off the web. :)

I was very much into the Actionman series with the German Infantryman being my favourite.I also collected the Airfix 1.72 scale soldiers,again,mostly WW1&2.I did have various cars and lorries with the James Bond DB5 as my fav.My main interest then became building models of aircaft and military vechiles and this lasted for many years until i started to sculpt and make my own military figurines.

Hector.

I was very much into the Actionman series with the German Infantryman being my favourite.I also collected the Airfix 1.72 scale soldiers,again,mostly WW1&2.I did have various cars and lorries with the James Bond DB5 as my fav.My main interest then became building models of aircaft and military vechiles and this lasted for many years until i started to sculpt and make my own military figurines.

Hector.

I loved building the Airfix kits. Did you ever get to build the larger versions of the WW2 fighters? I had the Spitfire, Stuka and Messerschmitt 109. My uncle got me into those - he was a Lancaster pilot and that was the first kit he bought me.

I could never get the hang of building the galleons - the mast always collapsed :D

I also remember the soldiers, I had just about every WW1/2 unit going. Do you remember they also released the US cavalry & Native Indians, also the Romans and ancient Britons.

My favourite toys as a kid were my cap guns and holsters and my cowboy hat

And me mate, I had the same! The caps were like red paper coiled things with little spots of gunpowder on them that you fed into the gun. I had a Red Cowboy hat with tassles!

Back