TOYS

Can you still get Meccano?

Thanks Unc I seem to recall having some but not much.

I had masses of it. I must have got my first set before I was ten. Set#2 if I recall correctly. I think there were a total of ten sets with Set#10 the biggest, most comprehensive. But they were all linked. You could get a Set #2A (or some such designation) which made your Set#2 into a Set#3. And so on up to that ultimate Set#10. And you could buy separate parts.

I think my father enjoyed it more than me. He was a car mechanic - served for years in REME.

Meccano really was a big outfit in its time and at one time was either part of or owned Hornby Model railways.

I have no idea how popular it is these days kids seem to prefer electronic games nowadays although I think that things like Lego is still popular as the toy shops I take my nephews to have loads of it mostly based on films. :)

I have no idea how popular it is these days kids seem to prefer electronic games nowadays although I think that things like Lego is still popular as the toy shops I take my nephews to have loads of it mostly based on films. :)

Lego is indeed popular.

My daughter had a Victorian Xmas the kids were not allowed anything plastic or electronic and they had a fantastic time it was challenging to find such toys but in the end it was well worth it :)

I had masses of it. I must have got my first set before I was ten. Set#2 if I recall correctly. I think there were a total of ten sets with Set#10 the biggest, most comprehensive. But they were all linked. You could get a Set #2A (or some such designation) which made your Set#2 into a Set#3. And so on up to that ultimate Set#10. And you could buy separate parts.

I think my father enjoyed it more than me. He was a car mechanic - served for years in REME.

Meccano really was a big outfit in its time and at one time was either part of or owned Hornby Model railways.

Frank Hornby owned Meccano and Hornby Model railways, baesd in Binns Road, Liverpool.

Meccano was first named in 1907 and the Hornby clockwork trains followed in 1927 (0 gauge) and Dinky cars in 1934.

The Hornby trains marketed these days are from a company that is a successor to Triang Trains (Lines Bros) who bought Meccano and Hornby trains in the 1960s and has gone under several changes of ownership.

Meccano is still available and if you want it similar to the original there is a brand called Exacto.

I do get amazed sometimes how much Dinky toys sell for. Some sell for thousands of pounds at Auction.
I wonder if model cars of today will sell for that much in years to come as im not sure they would be as collectable.

I know its not a toy but did anyone see that the Batmobile from the TV series starring Adam West sold at Auction for 2.5 Million pounds. I used to love my toy version which fired rockets

I think toy guns are a bit frowned on nowadays after all the shootings in recent years. I remember having some toy guns such as a A team pistol and some Star Wars blasters but I never knew what happened to these.

I put somewhere on this thread about board games that I had. Have just found one in the corner of my loft called Dragster by MB Games its box is all worn and ripped I had this game when I was about 6 I think. Also have a game called Tell me in the loft.

Back