Things that are Overrated

Bless you Big Unc, I had no idea that Ian Rankin had written another Rebus book I'm feverishly down loading it now a big thank you Big Unc ;D

Noted that Kindle is more expensive than hardback. That will be VAT. Height of idiocy to charge VAT on one and not the other. I suspect the idiot European Commission.

Any one read that new J K Rowling book?

Yes I noticedd that too, I suspect your right. With Kindle you can down load there and then so it save you waiting round for it, its worth it, I hate waiting :)

Dancing on ice, most if not all boy bands, Justin Bieber, Apple electronics, Most football teams (except Leeds United as Amos said, Marching on together!) Sky TV.

Dancing on ice, most if not all boy bands, Justin Bieber, Apple electronics, Most football teams (except Leeds United as Amos said, Marching on together!) Sky TV.

All reality TV shows particularly "Come Dancing" and that way over the hill and way overpaid prat, Bruce Forsyth, all so called boy bands (why "boy"), all football teams and everything to do with the once great game of football (now the terrain of a bunch of spoilt brats).

But what have you got against Apple?

I dislike Apple because -

A) Overpriced, massively.
B) Shocking customer service ( This is a personal view based on an experience I had)

I do personally think apple is over rated, they make some good stuff, but it comes at a price.

All reality TV shows particularly "Come Dancing" and that way over the hill and way overpaid prat, Bruce Forsyth, all so called boy bands (why "boy"), all football teams and everything to do with the once great game of football (now the terrain of a bunch of spoilt brats).

But what have you got against Apple?

I actually agree with you for one unc about Forsyth its about time the Beeb pensioned him off :)

Back to Rebus (sort of). I think it was Susan who enjoys the Ian Rankin books

BBc Scotland had a bit on today about James Oswald who just got a contract with Penguin after publishing his novels himself initially. Like Rebus, DI Mclean is based in Edinburgh.

"James Oswald is the author of the Detective Inspector McLean series of crime novels. The first two in the series, Natural Causes and The Book of Souls, are available from Penguin, with the third title, The Hangman's Song, forthcoming for 2014. He has also written an epic fantasy series, The Ballad of Sir Benfro as well as comic scripts and short stories. In his spare time James runs a 350 acre livestock farm in North East Fife, where he raises pedigree Highland Cattle and New Zealand Romney Sheep."

I just downloaded "Natural Causes" to my Kindle for £0.99.

Expensive cars with lots of technical nonsense (safety equipment excluded of course) and all such things that are really only there for boasting with. I mean, my car takes me anywhere too, even though it´s nearly 22 ;D, and imagine, I can even park with it myself with no need for electronic help, I am even strong enough to wind the window down with my own hand, and so on.
Well, I think there are very many things that are overrated, be it TV shows, technical items or anything people think they must do to impress others. We have got neighbours like that, every celebration is just over the top, when actually everybody just wants to chat and have fun.

****, I agree with the car statement. I'm a mechanic here in the states, however I work on old stuff. 1960's and 70's stuff. Give me points,condensors and carburetors anyday. My brother owns a shop and he deals with modern cars and trucks. He has a laptop and plugs into the car and the car/laptop tells him what is going on or going wrong. Not for me, I guess I'm old fashioned, Not to mention everything is plastic and breaks. I told my wife when we have our autos paid off we are going old school and going to buy an old 1960's car and truck.
Getting fired up, :)

BBc Scotland had a bit on today about James Oswald who just got a contract with Penguin after publishing his novels himself initially. Like Rebus, DI Mclean is based in Edinburgh.

"James Oswald is the author of the Detective Inspector McLean series of crime novels. The first two in the series, Natural Causes and The Book of Souls, are available from Penguin, with the third title, The Hangman's Song, forthcoming for 2014. He has also written an epic fantasy series, The Ballad of Sir Benfro as well as comic scripts and short stories. In his spare time James runs a 350 acre livestock farm in North East Fife, where he raises pedigree Highland Cattle and New Zealand Romney Sheep."

Thank you Big Unc, I'll look into those, they sound like my sort of thing. I particularly like the Scotland theme has we love it up there we go every year, I think its the most beautiful place in the world :)

Thank you Big Unc, I'll look into those, they sound like my sort of thing. I particularly like the Scotland theme has we love it up there we go every year, I think its the most beautiful place in the world :)

Some more for you:

Stuart MacBride set in Aberdeen: http://www.stuartmacbride.com/books.php
Maybe a bit too much on the bloodthirsty side.

Alex Gray set in Glasgow: http://www.alex-gray.com/
Can recommend.

You have made no mention of Quintin Jardine mainly set in Edinburgh, particularly so for his Bob Skinner: http://www.quintinjardine.com/
Maybe somewhat unrealistic and Skinner is far too full of himself. I rather enjoyed his Blackstone books but they are not generally Scotland based.

Thanks again Big Unc I have read the Stuart MaBride books, yes very blood thirsty but well written and I'll look into the others I'll be well sorted for xmas :)

I just started rereading the Rebus books from the beginning. I am also enjoying the first James Oswald book, "Natural Causes". I am waiting on Fife library getting me a copy of the latest Ian Rankin book but there are quite a few in the queue ahead of me.

Also overrated

Downton Abbey.
The X Factor.
Little Britan(When it was on'Not funny at all)
Blackberry mobile Phones(My girlfriend had one and had nothing but problems)
:)

Oh no Amos, I was going to get a Blackberry ?!?!

Hey it does not mean you would have problems it could be just her phone.I am also looking to upgrade and am looking at a Samsung Galaxy but the price of these phones put me off.

Oh no Amos, I was going to get a Blackberry ?!?!

Hey it does not mean you would have problems it could be just her phone.I am also looking to upgrade and am looking at a Samsung Galaxy but the price of these phones put me off.

I have 2 Galaxys at the moment and I hate them, thats why I'm going to try a Blackberry. Having said that I know people that have Galaxys and love them.

Back