Things that are Overrated

amos hames

Dedicated Member
There are so many things that are over rated or over hyped in this Country or even the world.Who or what do you think is or are overrated.

For me.
Gavin and Stacey(not funny at all)
Adele
Dyson vacum cleaners(give me a Henry hoover anyday)
Most footballers(apart from leeds united.lol).

Your comments please :)

We watch a lot of the CSI shows. In CSI NY, the forensic man, Sid, had made a lot of money patenting an invention. Someone asked him what he was spending his millions on. Answer; a Dyson!! Says it all really.

Expensive cars with lots of technical nonsense (safety equipment excluded of course) and all such things that are really only there for boasting with. I mean, my car takes me anywhere too, even though it´s nearly 22 ;D, and imagine, I can even park with it myself with no need for electronic help, I am even strong enough to wind the window down with my own hand, and so on.
Well, I think there are very many things that are overrated, be it TV shows, technical items or anything people think they must do to impress others. We have got neighbours like that, every celebration is just over the top, when actually everybody just wants to chat and have fun.

There are so many things that are over rated or over hyped in this Country or even the world.Who or what do you think is or are overrated.

Dyson vacum cleaners(give me a Henry hoover anyday)
Your comments please :)

What's wrong with a good old fashioned Hoover?

The new Red Dwarf, Xmas, healthy eating, parties, summer, buses,the BBC, Hob-Nobs, I could go on and on but I think I'm having a bad day so I'll shut up now! :)

Aw! Hope the day gets better for you, Susan! Even on bad days, we're entitled
to an opinion, eh? :)

The new Red Dwarf, Xmas, healthy eating, parties, summer, buses,the BBC, Hob-Nobs, I could go on and on but I think I'm having a bad day so I'll shut up now! :)

Go with you on all of them i will also include Radio 1,James Bond films,Fishing.I could go on but i will stop now :)

"The new Red Dwarf"

Actually I kinda like the New Red Dwarf, especially The Cat.
Not sure why you think these are all that much different
from the early ones.

But I am a little put off by the new New Tricks. Not just
that Bolam is gone, but the scripts are awful! Nothing
like the early programs. Hope this is the last go-round, as
downloading these to the US is dis-spiriting.

Inspector Banks..... not a patch on the books , too many liberties with the storylines. Stephen Tompkinson seems wrong for the part. :-\

Inspector Banks..... not a patch on the books , too many liberties with the storylines. Stephen Tompkinson seems wrong for the part. :-\

Just watching that now Dick, I haven't read the books yet. I read all of Ian Rankins books about Rebus but thought the TV serial was awful both of the actors they used to play him were way off.

Inspector Banks..... not a patch on the books

Yeah, but which books. Books like Gallows View and The Hanging Valley
were really good. But later on, when his wife leaves and he gets
involved with various others, I think they do go down hill.

Just watching that now Dick, I haven't read the books yet. I read all of Ian Rankins books about Rebus but thought the TV serial was awful both of the actors they used to play him were way off.

Very interesting interview with Ian Rankin by Alan Yentob on the "Imagine" programme. Although he has the DVDs he has never watched a single episode. Does not want his concept of Rebus coloured by any actor playing the part. He suggests this is what happened to Colin Dexter with Morse. Of course, the later Morse was very much written for television. I must confess, John Thaw's Morse is very much my image of the fictional character. I strongly feel the same about John Mortimer's Rumpole. He will always be Leo McKern.

Even though I have read all the books I never had a particular Rebus picture, Have hardly watched any TV episodes but do recognise that John Hannah was totally wrong. Ken Stott was far better but the woman who played Siobhan Clarke with Stott was just way off. I am sure that if I went into The Ox (Oxford Bar, Young Street, Edinburgh) and saw Ian Rankin I would think "There's Rebus". It is the author himself who is my almost image of Rebus.

Ian Rankin was, of course, born locally in Fife. I have been to The Ox once - with Terry Jones of Monty Python who was in Edinburgh for a book signing. Terry was after a pint of Deuchars.

I have read quite a few of the Inspector Banks books but never developed a clear image there. I tend not to watch novels of this genre when they are turned into television. As Ian Rankin has said, it is ridiculous by how much they compress a book over which he has sweated cobs to get it within the extremely limited attention span of the bulk of the audience at which modern televison is aiming. Dumbing down is an understatement.

I suppose I am very much of the contention that novels of any genre are written to be read. They can never be faithfully reproduced by any other medium, particularly the extremely light weight intellectually modern television.

Very interesting interview with Ian Rankin by Alan Yentob on the "Imagine" programme. Although he has the DVDs he has never watched a single episode. Does not want his concept of Rebus coloured by any actor playing the part. He suggests this is what happened to Colin Dexter with Morse. Of course, the later Morse was very much written for television. I must confess, John Thaw's Morse is very much my image of the fictional character. I strongly feel the same about John Mortimer's Rumpole. He will always be Leo McKern.

Even though I have read all the books I never had a particular Rebus picture, Have hardly watched any TV episodes but do recognise that John Hannah was totally wrong. Ken Stott was far better but the woman who played Siobhan Clarke with Stott was just way off. I am sure that if I went into The Ox (Oxford Bar, Young Street, Edinburgh) and saw Ian Rankin I would think "There's Rebus". It is the author himself who is my almost image of Rebus.

Ian Rankin was, of course, born locally in Fife. I have been to The Ox once - with Terry Jones of Monty Python who was in Edinburgh for a book signing. Terry was after a pint of Deuchars.

I have read quite a few of the Inspector Banks books but never developed a clear image there. I tend not to watch novels of this genre when they are turned into television. As Ian Rankin has said, it is ridiculous by how much they compress a book over which he has sweated cobs to get it within the extremely limited attention span of the bulk of the audience at which modern televison is aiming. Dumbing down is an understatement.

I suppose I am very much of the contention that novels of any genre are written to be read. They can never be faithfully reproduced by any other medium, particularly the extremely light weight intellectually modern television.
Some good points there Unc, I've often been disappointed after reading a book and watching the tv or film version. ::)

Very interesting interview with Ian Rankin by Alan Yentob on the "Imagine" programme.

Forgot to say - presume everyone realises next book due imminently "Standing in His Grave" brings back Rebus.

It is actually "Standing in Another Man's Grave" (misheard song title) and it is out today.

Noted Kindle collection of the original 18 Rebus books at £69.99 - that is only £3.88 each.

Bless you Big Unc, I had no idea that Ian Rankin had written another Rebus book I'm feverishly down loading it now a big thank you Big Unc ;D

Bless you Big Unc, I had no idea that Ian Rankin had written another Rebus book I'm feverishly down loading it now a big thank you Big Unc ;D

Noted that Kindle is more expensive than hardback. That will be VAT. Height of idiocy to charge VAT on one and not the other. I suspect the idiot European Commission.

Any one read that new J K Rowling book?

Back