Scotland.

Big Unc. Thank you for your post. Sorry for my ignorance on the issue, but I don't understand when you said that even though you live in Scotland you will not be a citizen? Even though you get to vote.

Sorry for my ignorance on the issue, but I don't understand when you said that even though you live in Scotland you will not be a citizen? Even though you get to vote.

There is, maybe, a complexity in our geography and how it intertwines with our political boundaries.

Currently, I am a British citizen living in Britain. In another sense, I am Anglo-Irish living in Scotland. In a sense I have dual nationality in that my Irish side comes from the Republic of Ireland. Though interestingly, although born in what was then the pre-Irish Free State republic, my mother had British nationality. (I said it was complicated).

Returning to the essential point, I am a British citizen living in Britain. Should the current residents in Scotland vote to separate from the rest of the United Kingdom, I shall be living in a foreign land. No way will I accept the current governing party in Scotland dictating that I will automatically become a citizen of Scotland. I will remain a British citizen. Were I younger I would probably move though a problem there is I have a Scottish wife (who is as much opposed to separation as I am).

Thanks for the answer Big Unc. I understand, I could see where citizens in Scotland do not want to leave their "country" of England. I also have the understanding that everyone has their own opinion about subject such as religion and politics.

What some don't understand on some forums, and I am not talking about this one. ( When I read the news on line there are some idiots, that bash people just because they disagree, and they are very nasty about it. I just except that is how that person sees things, and I cannot change their opinion, like they cannot change mine.)

Do you think this vote may stir emotions to where we may see riots come Sept when I believe that is when you said the vote would be? Would someone like Pearl have to get permission to visit Scotland like she says she enjoys doing?

Would someone like Pearl have to get permission to visit Scotland like she says she enjoys doing?

This is my worry, we visit Scotland every year and would hate to have to get a passport first. I agree with you Brenda we all have different opinions and Viva La Difference I say ( How boring would life be if we were all the same?)

I'm going to stick my neck and say that I honestly can't see it happening If it was left to certain cities, which will remain nameless, it would happen tomorrow but the further North you go more like you get the No vote. The Orkney Isles have said that they would rather go back to Norway than be Scottish so we'll just have to see.

"They no longer want to be governed by the English parliament." That is the type of shorthand that maddens the Scots (and the Welsh and the Northern Irish). There is no such entity as 'the English parliament'. Westminster is the parliament of the United Kingdom. The Scottish separatists are very much playing on that at the moment.

I said this because ever Scotsman I have spoken to on the Yes side have quoted that exact thing, they see Scotland has being ruled by the English. I feel the same Westminister has been voted in by all four nationalities but ever Scots/Welsh?Irishman...... And woman I've spoken too all call it the English parliament. Being married to an Irishman and having Welsh in laws I hear it all the time.

I do so feel I am being suckered into long-running discussion on this issue.

I am sorry, Pearl, but I feel strongly that we should never pander to ignorance nor to the Scots who want separation and who attempt to mislead by describing Westminster as 'the English Parliament'. It is categorically the British Parliament.

And in no way can the Scots complain about under-representation or lack of influence. Since the war the power wielded by Scots has been enormous. If anyone has a complaint it might be the Northern Irish who insist on having their own parties which never significantly hold any office. And in recent decades the responsibilities of government wielded by the Welsh does seem to have been pretty low. And do not forget, the present Prime Minister, on the face of it English, has the name Cameron and that is just not an English name. My original point, we are all British.

Necessity for passports in the event of separation? That is part of the tragedy of what is happening. We are such a small island. I do not think new have to have a passport to travel to the Republic of Ireland under long term agreement (though I always carry mine with me when travelling). Should it ever occur that Scotland separates and the rest of the UK pulls out of Europe, then they would become essential.

Just praising you for your word "conversating" Pearl. :16:

As far as the rest goes I hope the Union stays together.:14:

I wasn't even sure if was a real word but my laptop didn't through a wobbler so I'm assuming it is. ;D;D;D

Keep waxing Big Unc :14:

If your going to wear a kilt it'll have to be the legs :D

Au contraire, ma brave (okay, sic), when wearing the tartan the more hirsute the legs the better.

images_zps18c9e9d3.jpg

:15: :biggrin: :15: :biggrin: :32: :32: :15:

Didn't we see you in a kilt on another thread Big Unc?? A wedding photograph?? I had a look for it but cannot find it. :confused::wink:

There may be something in what you say.

Posted to ensure this thread is retained by the Search "Today's Posts" facility or I will never find it again. Oh, please, someone bring back the 'Recent Posts' capability and by POSTS I mean POSTS, not THREADS!

Back