Lets see your cars

I remember as a kid people used to abandon cars and leave them to rot but they were a great adventure to kids like me endless hours of fun playing in them with my friends , sadly the scrap boys scoop them all up and they are never seen.

I bought one of these for £20, body was good but I knew the engine was shot, did the engine and gear selector rods, it was 3 speed column change, added windows to the side and seats in the back and it was great transport for the kids and a large dog, kept it for a few years and it earnt it's keep.
View attachment 6364
I vaguely recall @Roger saying he drove one of these in his time, you could have both got a Shinyglow franchise going...

one of my 2 daily drivers...

pontiac.jpg

My first car was along these lines (dont have any photos of it sadly)
A Datsun 1600 with a 1800 SSS motor etc... went like stink and handled awesome... much more than my skills were.

25039935-6-1.jpg
I worked at a Datsun dealer when they first came to the UK, for the first few years they were great cars, though I did notice body panels were getting thinner over time, at the time late 60's the build quality and engineering could not be beaten for the price, they also came standard with a radio, seatbelts, mudflaps, heated rear window on most models, these were all paid for extras on many UK made cars at the time.
As a stores manager (Yes at 19 years Old) I noticed the warranty returns on Datsun was 1% of the other brands the dealership dealt with, this included Vauxhall and VW, the Datsuns did not have any reliability issues, though the bodywork did start to let them down in the later years.
I had access to pool cars for transport, most of the time it would be the Cherry or 1200 model, once in a blue moon got my hands on a 180B SSS which was a amazing car to drive, the only car I never got my hands on was a 240Z, the sneaky salesman always there before me, hiding keys or telling me they needed it for a demo, happy days for a 19 year old who would have to revert to his own Ford Anglia if he could not grab a pool car.

This was a disaster, Austin Somerset (Not an actual picture of mine) once again I bought this cheap and it was a good runner, the problem was all the suspension was shot, once you got over the 30 MPH the car would start to bounce up and down, the cost of fixing far exceed the value of the car,so it was quickly scrapped
A55.jpg

That's incredible when you think that was over 20 years ago. And from what I recall the diesel also shifted!
It did Barry, no matter what gear you were in, most of the time it was like having an auto box, I wonder what that engine performs like in the BMW truck they call a mini

Some nice cars! I like the Mini and the Volvos. Back in the day I had an MG midget, a buddy had a Spitfire and another buddy had a MGB and yet another, had a MGB GT, so we had a little British car club going. Most of my cars were of the muscle variety and are long since gone..

Back