Jan 2014 ask Darren

Darren

Out of all the regular cast over the years who do you dislike the most and why

Darren

Out of all the regular cast over the years who do you dislike the most and why

out of the regular cast it's between three characters and they are Roz, Nellie and Mr Wainwright the librarian, I weren't keen on them two ladies cause I thought they were a bit snobbish at times, I know Edie was snobbish but with her she had moments when she wasn't as well but I will go for Mr Wainwright cause I didn't like the idea of the middle aged man chasing a married women he seemed a bit lecherous to me (there could be another word to describe him but I won't on here).

Darren , If we were to compare you with one of the LOTSW characters who would it be?

I would say I would be Clegg, in my family I seem to be the one in the middle (just like Clegg was in the trio) and I go with the flow a lot but occasionally I have a mischievous streak just like Clegg

Darren, (funny we have the same name just spelled different, Darin)
What does Last of the summer wine mean to you personally? i.e. Reminds you of simpler times, family member, etc.
Also, I too am impressed with your knowledge of LOTSW, very nice.

What does Last of the summer wine mean to you personally? i.e. Reminds you of simpler times, family member, etc.

it means the world to me Darin, it is my earliest memory so has been a part of me for as long as I can remember, I was brought up on the show and feel as though its a family member to me, its always there and its only when it's not there you realise how much you miss it, the day it was announced as finishing a part of me died inside of me in my soul, also on the day the final episode aired I lost something inside of me as well and I know that it will never come back no matter how many times I watch the repeats or dvds, at the time it was axed I was getting into the background of the show more (meeting cast members, going to the recording of the laughter track and going on location) so it made the axe hurt me even more than I expected.

it means the world to me Darin, it is my earliest memory so has been a part of me for as long as I can remember, I was brought up on the show and feel as though its a family member to me, its always there and its only when it's not there you realise how much you miss it, the day it was announced as finishing a part of me died inside of me in my soul, also on the day the final episode aired I lost something inside of me as well and I know that it will never come back no matter how many times I watch the repeats or dvds, at the time it was axed I was getting into the background of the show more (meeting cast members, going to the recording of the laughter track and going on location) so it made the axe hurt me even more than I expected.

Wow, I would really be star struck to actually meet one of the cast members. I've met and seen a handful of "stars" here working at the airport. Burt Reynolds, Bill Goldberg, Ted Turner, and many upon many football stars. The only time I got a little start struck is when Bill Cowher (used to be the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers) came in. I was at a little loss for words then.
But to meet someone from LOTSW, I wouldn't know what to say.

Ok, some more questions,
Do you travel much? Outside the UK at all? You have met some of the LOTSW stars, was it during filming or just around the UK at book signings or appearances?

Ok, some more questions,
Do you travel much? Outside the UK at all? You have met some of the LOTSW stars, was it during filming or just around the UK at book signings or appearances?

no I don't travel much, I like my home comforts, I have never been outside the UK cause I have a massive fear of flying (I get nervous just passing a airport let alone going in one). Some Last of the Summer Wine stars I met during filming but Peter Sallis was after his theatre show where he talked about his life as an actor, Ken Kitson has been at a book signing (twice) and at the Cooper and Walsh show in Scarborough and met Louis Emerick at the show as well.

Since you have loved LOTSW from a very early age, and still do, has the show made you into a different person to what you may have been?

For example, has it influenced what job you do?
Or has it made you into kinder person that you may have been?

Since you have loved LOTSW from a very early age, and still do, has the show made you into a different person to what you may have been?

For example, has it influenced what job you do?
Or has it made you into kinder person that you may have been?

I don't think it has made me a different person, I had a good upbringing and it wasn't like the show was the one positive of the week, it's affected my life in that I will use certain phrases from the show in life and our current dog is named "Compo" but I would say I've always been a kind person, my parents were told that at every parents evening from a young age and I put that down to family. job wise at one stage I did think I might want to work in television but I think i'm just a bit old to get into television now (behind the camera not in front of it) I think if you want to get into television you have to start young (GCSE or A-levels in media studies and do a university course late teens to qualify in early 20's and this year i'm 25 so think I have just missed out) but i'm currently unemployed and if anyone on here wants to know why I would be ok to say why.

So as a boy/teenager you wouldn't spend your weekends and spare time roaming the countryside or heathland with two friends, and suchlike?

So as a boy/teenager you wouldn't spend your weekends and spare time roaming the countryside or heathland with two friends, and suchlike?

theres hardly any countryside where I live in town (i'm near Birmingham in the West Midlands)

Are your parents big Summer Wine fans also Darren ?

my dad has watched it from the start and my mom has watched the show since she knew my dad, they watched the show when they was in on Sundays before I was born and it was on when I was growing up but I took my love of it too the next level (watching it all the time) they went along with it, but there both fans of the show now but in order family wise it's me, then dad, then mom, infact before I was born dad was watching "Treasure of the Deep" and when the UEV started rolling into the water my dad was rolling with laughter on the floor, my mom was on the phone at the time and the person she was speaking to had to ask her if he was ok or was he having a heart attack or something he was laughing that much, I've seen him laugh like that at the salad strainer episode when it goes flying up in the air, when we have been down at the laughter track recording I've prayed they haven't had scenes like that that will make him roll round on the floor laughing cause he has previous at that at a comedy performance.

I know you like other Roy Clarke comedy such as Open All Hours and Keeping Up Appearances.

Have you seen some of his shows, such as Potter and The Magnificent Evans?

And if so, what do you think of these shows, and some of the others he's written?

I know you like other Roy Clarke comedy such as Open All Hours and Keeping Up Appearances.

Have you seen some of his shows, such as Potter and The Magnificent Evans?

And if so, what do you think of these shows, and some of the others he's written?

I like both Open All Hours and Keeping Up Appearances and think there great shows. I've seen the Spanners Eleven he did as part of the Seven of One for Ronnie Barker and found that good, I've also seen The Magnificent Evans and it was ok for me but not something I would watch all the time, but in general I think Roy Clarke has had a lot of tv success which isn't easy and he has created some fantastic characters in Summer Wine and away from Summer Wine

Back