Jan 2014 ask Darren

Just so people don't get confused to start with I will explain this a bit.

Basically I suggested to the other admin and moderators we do a question and answer section with a member of the forum each month to get to know them a bit, we can ask questions about Last of the Summer Wine (favourite episode, favourite character, how you got into the show, how long have you been a fan etc) and if the person is happy too ask questions about life away from the show they can (work, hobbies, pets, sports teams etc), i'm being used as the guinea pig and if it works we will be doing this every month for a different forum member which i'm sure if this happens Terry will explain how to opt in to this idea.
By the way i'm happy to answer questions not about Last of the Summer Wine but please keep them clean.

What is your first memory of Last Of The Summer Wine?

My first memory of Last of the Summer Wine is from 1990, I remember seeing the spinning globe on BBC One and heard the announcer saying Last of the Summer Wine, I then saw the Café and then heard the music and loved it, watched the episode and laughed so hard at some things I knew I would love this show, little did I know how much it would mean to me 23 years later, it wasn't just my first memory of the show but my first memory full stop and whenever people hear that when I say i'm a massive fan they say that's a lovely first memory in life, the episode was "The Charity Balls" and I was 1 at the time.

Who has been your all time favourite character ?

Good question, I would say of all time it would have to be Foggy, I loved his character and I grew up with him as the leader as well, although Compo and Clegg do run him close, but I would say Foggy for me, in fact I have a massive canvas print of Foggy and when I've redecorated I will hang it on my wall

Do you also have a favourite series and if so a favourite in that series ?? :)

I would say my favourite series is series 12 from 1990, there was so many fantastic episodes from them 10, if I had to choose a favourite of mine from that series I will go for "The Empire That Foggy Nearly Built" I think that's a great episode even though I like "Return of the Warrior" and "The Charity Balls" holds a special place in my heart as I mentioned above I will go for "The Empire That Foggy Nearly Built".

I have always admired your amazing in depth knowledge of Summer Wine, do you still watch it regularly if so how often ??

I have always admired your amazing in depth knowledge of Summer Wine, do you still watch it regularly if so how often ??

I still watch it regularly yes, I watch the dvds of series 1-24 at least 3 times a year (I got a version of the pilot off thebox.bz when that was still around and watch that before the dvds) and sometimes watch the remaining episodes on vhs (hoping to convert them to dvd this year)

If you could hold a dinner party with 3 of the stars. Who would you choose.

difficult to narrow it down to 3, if were including stars who are no longer with us I would pick Bill Owen, Brian Wilde and Peter Sallis seeing that's my favourite trio. if it's just stars who are alive I will go for Peter Sallis (all them stories he could tell of the show is why, who wouldn't want to hear about 37 years of the show), Russ Abbot (I am a Hobbo fan) and Ken Kitson (I've met him 4 times now and he is always glad to meet Summer Wine fans)

Seeing your pic with Russ Abbott, I know you have met a few cast members. Who else have you met?

I've met a few, I've met Russ Abbot of course when I went on location when they filmed series 31, that day I also met Brian Murphy, Burt Kwouk, Robert Fyfe, Barbara Young and Alan J.W. Bell. I've also met Peter Sallis when he did his stage show about his life in 2009 in Malvern, I've also met Ken Kitson 4 times and he is a really pleasant man and been to one of his shows with Louis Emerick and met him once and had a photo with both of them which they signed for me, when I've been down to Teddington to the preview/recording of the laughter track I've seen Jean Fergusson and Sarah Thomas there and for the recording of the final series laughter track during one of the sketches for the show Trevor Bannister sat right behind me and after the show he was lost and he came and stood right next to me till a runner came and got him (that day I saw 4 of the final 6 episodes). so I consider myself really lucky with all the cast I've met.

What was your impression of Peter Sallis when you met him?

to be fair for a man who was 88 when I met him I thought he was good for his age, he was good enough to do a book signing and photos with fans which not every 88 year old would do especially after spending two and a half hours on stage talking about his life, he was a complete gentlemen to me when I spoke to him and was happy to pose for a photo with me

From the group of ladies when they have their tea dates, who is your favorite and why?

I would pick Pearl, the reason why is that she always had something to moan about during the coffee mornings and it was usually Howard, the others at times I felt were saying some stuff just for the sake of it and I never thought that with Pearl

Away from summer wine. What are your other hobbies. Do you like films. Which is your favourite

Away from Summer Wine I do like other tv shows, I like a lot of the classic comedies such as Dad's Army, Only Fools and Horses, One Foot in the Grave, Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar of Dibley, Porridge, Open All Hours (enjoyed the sequel on Boxing Day), Birds of a Feather and Mr Bean. I also like The Simpsons, Futurama, Malcolm in the Middle and The Middle (there the only USA shows I watch really), I also like some murder mysteries like Midsomer Murders, Morse and its spin offs, Broadchurch. I also like a show called Dream Team, it used to be on Sky One and was a drama about a football club, basically a soap and this was the original football drama not Footballers Wives. Another favourite of mine would also be Wheeler Dealers on the Discover Channel for people who don't know it they take an old car (sometimes very old, sometimes modern classics, sometimes foreign cars) which is a bit tired and they restore it and try to sell it on for a profit and I think it's a great show, probably my 3rd favourite show on tv. I also like Doctor Who and its spin offs as well I would say after Summer Wine that's my second favourite tv show so I have a massive dvd collection. Film wise I do like comedy films and the light hearted ones and do like most things with Tom Hanks in.
Other hobbies include supporting Newcastle United, I like playing on the PlayStation but can't play on it for a lot of the day like some gamers, I also like watching Formula One racing and the BTCC racing (over the road where I live one of the racing drivers works there and my mom use to work for the company).
I also like playing sports, I try to keep fit but do find it hard to motivate myself at times but do like badminton which I play once a week and going on a rowing machine, I also like swimming but haven't been for ages but i'm hoping to start that back up in 2014. I do like spending time with family and friends, I also like collecting memorabilia from Last of the Summer Wine (if you want to know what I have, just ask) and last year (2013) I've collected a few things for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary so collecting is a hobby of mine but I don't collect stuff I see as cheap tat.

Back