It wouldn't be allowed today

Further to the above , according to the Daily Mail ( ???) Mr Salmond is asking for a bail out from the Bank of England should there be problems after Independence. :-\

Can only ask that you do not put a great deal of faith in what Daily Mail says, particularly on this issue.

This is my twopennorth Unc, I agree with what you've put and wish that we could be an "actual " United Kingdom instead of the splintered(or should that be fractured) mix that we are. I said once on another thread,where does it stop? What about the Cornish and the Yorkshire folk who want to govern themselves?? Its an emotive subject and no one person can have the answers. I even have aquaintances who insist on crossing out the word British and sustituting English on official forms!!( The usual answer if you ask them is" The Scots can declare themselves Scots, the Welsh and Irish are seperate on the forms why cant we be?? :-\

Cannot say I have ever seen a form (official) where Scots, Welsh and Irish are options and English is not. But I certainly consider that where appropriate English should be able to so declare themselves. But I remain very proud to be British (and Irish for that matter).

;D Remember "The Dinner Ladies" show one character kept repeating " It must be true it was in the Daily Mail!" No problem Unc I read various papers during the week and always check I have the salt pot handy ;)

Codfanglers, yes I agree, the characters are very similar. Also, the non pc is what makes those shows work. My absolute favorite "family friendly" show I enjoy the most here in the States is The Andy Griffith Show. I was just as sad and upset when Andy died as I was when Bill Owen died. There will never be actors like them ever again.

In the US, there is small talk of succession with such states as Texas and New Hampshire. Geographically, I suppose Texas could get away with it, but not so much New Hampshire. I know The Daily Show with John Stewaqrt is popular overseas. One of the Daily Show's reporters did a mock report regarding Texas.

Regarding the UK, I may just be an ignorant Yank. With national borders, I often rely on geography if it makes sense. Seeing that the UK is England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, I just have to ask, "why can't it just include Ireland. I do understand it has its own culture with its own landscape, history, and dominant religion. There is a lot I like about Ireland; a lot of music, Ballykissangel, some of my ancestory, etc. I just wish all the isles could be united.

I think there is to much bad blood now, to much violence on both sides. Its a shame because the Irish are lovely people ( I married one) and they are so friendly but if you hurt one you hurt them all and they have long memory's. The English have a lot to answer for has do all other nations in one or another we all have blood on our hands I don't think there will be world peace as long has mankind is still thriving.

Interestingly the pilot and the Blamire series shows all three plus the Vicar smoking like chimneys, that would probably be taboo today.

Eire is a totally independent state, just like france or germany....its like saying why cant the usa and canada be north america.. ;)

It's tricky, this question of nationality. I'm Welsh. I'm British, and, so I'm told, I'm European. I'm very glad to be Welsh, equally glad to be British, but totally indifferent to being European. One thing I'm not, however, is English. Absolutely no offence intended to anyone English at all,I love England, but I do get narked when people refer to these islands as England. England is the newest nation on these islands and yet the world over all seems to ignore the older nations here. It's as if we've lost our identity. We've all become the races outsiders think we are, as opposed to the nations our history and heritage prepared us to be. You think of the Welsh. What do we think of? Miners? Rugby? Pretty mountains? Choirs? What about England? John Bull? Soccer hooligans, London busses, The Beatles? Ireland is Shamrocks, horse racing, Guinness and leprechauns. Scotland is Kilts, Bagpipes, glorious mountains and whisky. Really? Is that all we've become? We seem to have become a parody of ourselves. Most people here know nothing of the Blue Books, or the Rebecca riots, let alone what caused them. We've watered our history down until its nothing but a story in a book.
Sorry, everyone. Lecture over!!! Whilst I have no argument with anyone from anywhere else in the world, to me this United Kingdom is the most incredible collection of places and people. All of us. We must never lose sight of that.

Well spoken Rhi ( from someone who's glad to be English :) ) I loved history at school and am amazed how the rot set in and it became fixated on WW2 and not on 2000 + years of heritage. :)

It's tricky, this question of nationality. I'm Welsh. I'm British, and, so I'm told, I'm European. I'm very glad to be Welsh, equally glad to be British, but totally indifferent to being European. One thing I'm not, however, is English. Absolutely no offence intended to anyone English at all,I love England, but I do get narked when people refer to these islands as England. England is the newest nation on these islands and yet the world over all seems to ignore the older nations here. It's as if we've lost our identity. We've all become the races outsiders think we are, as opposed to the nations our history and heritage prepared us to be. You think of the Welsh. What do we think of? Miners? Rugby? Pretty mountains? Choirs? What about England? John Bull? Soccer hooligans, London busses, The Beatles? Ireland is Shamrocks, horse racing, Guinness and leprechauns. Scotland is Kilts, Bagpipes, glorious mountains and whisky. Really? Is that all we've become? We seem to have become a parody of ourselves. Most people here know nothing of the Blue Books, or the Rebecca riots, let alone what caused them. We've watered our history down until its nothing but a story in a book.
Sorry, everyone. Lecture over!!! Whilst I have no argument with anyone from anywhere else in the world, to me this United Kingdom is the most incredible collection of places and people. All of us. We must never lose sight of that.

Nicely put. ;D

i agree with all of those sentiments rhi, English first, British second and proud to be both...ambivalent towards being called a European, meaningless to me...i was born and brought up in yorkshire and it still makes me smile when i meet some of the diehard family who see themselves as yorkshire first, english second etc. As you say though, we have a real rich culture mix in these islands which we should be rightly proud of.. :)

I'm American, I live in south Alabama on the gulf coast. I first got into watching British shows about 30 yrs. ago and got hooked. I've always liked their type of humor, which can be plentiful in non pc jokes, especially the older the show is. It's part of why I watch them.
I'm also white and some of the funniest American comedy shows I enjoy are actually the older ones with black characters being very non pc towards whites, such as Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, etc. I think they're hilarious. I'm smart enough to know the producers aren't trying to spread hate around, they are showing the bigotry of the characters with the message of "don't act this way". People need to just lighten up and enjoy life more, it doesn't last long.

I see the trend of "political incorrectness" with a lot of British comedy from the 70's, now that you bring that up (Benny Hills, Monty Python, Open All Hours, and the Blamire years of Summer Wine". When did these British shows become more tame? I know, Summer Wine became more of a family program when Foggy came in. Perhaps, around that time in the late 70's, shows generally became more family friendly.

I guess American comedies in the 1970's were a mix of family-friendy and edgy. Ron-Po mentions Sanford and Son. Sanford and Son is very good. Redd Foxx plays, Fred Sanford, an old, somewhat bigoted junkyard owner in Los Angeles. AN absolute classic show is All in the Family. This features the character, Archie Bunker, an old, stubborn, white bigoted man. Ron-Po, it is funny how the too characters are so similar. The characters are loveable, but part of the comedy is their stubbornness and ignorance.

On a final note, my VCR that I rely on to record British shows no longer works. My Public Television stations just started airing "Yes, Minister" which I think is great. I am only ab le to catch it on occasion.

If I remember correctly, Sanford and son was actually based off of the British show, Steptoe and Son. All In The Family was based off of the British show, Till Death Us Do Part in which Norman Lear had bought the rights.

Yes, that´s the way it goes. You know, we all wear leather trousers here, yodel, drink beer and eat Sauerkraut and Bratwurst ;D. I don´t do one single thing of all that and still I´m German :D. It´s the cliches. I just wonder what determines what becomes part of a cliche and what doesn´t.
I´m also glad about this forum where we can all meet and chat and make friends and laugh about these things.

Yes Ankh you are quite right, it is good to have such a forum where we can chat and smile in a civilized way. Must admit i'm fed up with having to wear my bowler hat, use red telephone boxes and eat beef endlessly.. ;D

Yes Ankh you are quite right, it is good to have such a forum where we can chat and smile in a civilized way. Must admit i'm fed up with having to wear my bowler hat, use red telephone boxes and eat beef endlessly.. ;D

I miss those red phone boxes. :)

Yep, quite alright here, too. Go ahead and call me a Yank. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Back