It wouldn't be allowed today

George

Super Moderator
I was watching 'Spring Fever' when I saw on the tailor shop window 'Impress the chicks.....' I thought to myself the politically correct brigade wouldn't allow that these days.There must be a lot more examples of un-pc things in LOTSW.
Any thoughts or examples?

I've noticed one or two referring to the traveling comunity! There is also a reference the "Lady Doctors" in Dancing Feet.
I'm sure there are more. Not sure calling Japanese Japs is permissible now or Americans Yanks and apparently the Nazi salute is a big no no. :eek:

I was watching 'Spring Fever' when I saw on the tailor shop window 'Impress the chicks.....' I thought to myself the politically correct brigade wouldn't allow that these days.There must be a lot more examples of un-pc things in LOTSW.
Any thoughts or examples?

I must admit I noticed that sign and you are right it might not be to pc nowadays. I'm trying to think of some more

Is this not one of the joys of our program - the freedom from the banal PC dictatorship which so enfeebles our comedy today. What I find so annoying is that appalling language and sheer unadulterated crudity are deemed acceptable but real subtleties which poke a wee bit of fun fall foul of the straitjacket brigade.

Lets upset the Italians: We are fed up of seeing old Italian stereotypes in movies - on the grounds that they're pasta joke.

I used to live in a very rough area. They used to smother me in chocolate sponge and cream, then stick a cherry on my head.... life sure was tough in the gateau.

Apple are about to launch an exciting new range of confectionery. i-Candy

How about when Compo says to Ivy ~ staring straight at the subjects of his desire ~~ "Oh, Ivy, tha' has a chest like a proud pigeon." Lovely but not PC.

"That's what they said about Singapore. Impenetrable they said, beyond the capabilities of the yellow races."
Blamire

Is this not one of the joys of our program - the freedom from the banal PC dictatorship which so enfeebles our comedy today. What I find so annoying is that appalling language and sheer unadulterated crudity are deemed acceptable but real subtleties which poke a wee bit of fun fall foul of the straitjacket brigade.

I used to live in a very rough area. They used to smother me in chocolate sponge and cream, then stick a cherry on my head.... life sure was tough in the gateau.
Ours were dark days Unc......It was a Black Forest Gateau ;D :-[

I've noticed one or two referring to the traveling comunity! There is also a reference the "Lady Doctors" in Dancing Feet.
I'm sure there are more. Not sure calling Japanese Japs is permissible now or Americans Yanks and apparently the Nazi salute is a big no no. :eek:

Similarly, it seems one can't call the Jewish jews anymore. I don't know why.

But it is ok to call the British brits.

What about in The New Mobile Trio?? Cleggy shifts the kid off the driving simulator by asking if he'd heard the expression"suffer little children". These days its an offence to question any body's kids let alone threaten them harm?? :-\

What about in The New Mobile Trio?? Cleggy shifts the kid off the driving simulator by asking if he'd heard the expression"suffer little children". These days its an offence to question any body's kids let alone threaten them harm?? :-\

Yes, that line was uncharacteristic enough for Clegg as it was.

There's one with Compo in the cafe , pretending to be a Japanese Kamikaze pilot. Hilarious but maybe not quite PC with today's standards.

In one episode, Foggy was commenting about Orientals being flexable and that it made unsanitary situations easier. To which Clegg replied, "and it makes their eyes slant too".

I would also be willing to bet any Asian watching today is probably offended when they see Smiler dressed as Alladin.

Similarly, it seems one can't call the Jewish jews anymore. I don't know why.

But it is OK to call the British brits.

Let me give my take on calling the British, Brits. Sometimes it's the only thing that one can hang their hat on. What are the other choices? The English? UKs? Limeys? PS- I'm OK with being called a Yank.

Brits fine with me. been called much worse. :D

Indeed, Brit is spot on. Living in Scotland, although half Irish and half English it grates when anyone abroad uses English when they mean British. It is, of course, even worse when anyone English uses English when they mean British.

It is not just a political thing but also geographic. The island we share is Great Britain. The complete title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland gets its Britishness in a geographic sense from fact that Great Britain and the complete island of Ireland together are part (and the greater part) of the British Isles. (And before anyone comes back at me I know that for very understandable political reasons the Republic of Ireland does not accept any British connotation and hence we have, in rugby, the British AND Irish Lions.)

I agree with you Big Unc, I am first of all English ( Granparents hailed from Scotland but I was born in England) I seems to me we're not allowed to say that these days!! I am second British ( Brit is fine) I am not however European! I was not born in Europe and don't wish to be known has European. So you can call me what you like just get the geography right. ;D

I detest the PC brigade, and refuse to comply, our ancestors fought for our freedom, and I am not going to let anyone tell me what to say and how to say it.

I wouldn't dream of being rude for rude sake, for instance I call Americans, Yankee doodles, and its not meant to offend, if it does, toughen up, and find something really worthwhile to get upset about.

I am not a European, I am British,(welsh actually) and you can call me anything you like, but it seems you can't say Boo these days

As discussed in another thread, there is not really any problem with the term, Yank.

In terms of "It wouldn't be allowed today"- it definitely refers back to the Blamire days! What sticks out to me are the nude photos in the barber shop in Short Back and Palais Glide.

Back