It wouldn't be allowed today

Brits fine with me. been called much worse. :D

Indeed, Brit is spot on. Living in Scotland, although half Irish and half English it grates when anyone abroad uses English when they mean British. It is, of course, even worse when anyone English uses English when they mean British.

It is not just a political thing but also geographic. The island we share is Great Britain. The complete title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland gets its Britishness in a geographic sense from fact that Great Britain and the complete island of Ireland together are part (and the greater part) of the British Isles. (And before anyone comes back at me I know that for very understandable political reasons the Republic of Ireland does not accept any British connotation and hence we have, in rugby, the British AND Irish Lions.)

The thing is Unc. I was born in England. I do see what you mean though and am happy to be called anything except 'late for dinner'.

The thing is Unc. I was born in England. I do see what you mean though and am happy to be called anything except 'late for dinner'.

No problem with that. All I ask is that the word "English" be used when the connotation is purely English and not when "British" is meant. Highly sensitive at the moment with Scotland considering separation.

No problem with that. All I ask is that the word "English" be used when the connotation is purely English and not when "British" is meant. Highly sensitive at the moment with Scotland considering separation.

I think the problem with the whole British/English thing is that its not explained properly the geography in other country's.

Without wanting to start WW3, I would be interested in where you stand with the referendum Big Unc? I have been asking all the Scottish people I know and have been getting some interresting answers.

I know it was an Oriental guy that told Smiler to "Bog off you Chinese twit",but it probably would`nt be allowed nowadays anyway.

I have just watched Open All Hours and if you are offended by Roy Clarke's PC malfunctions in Summer Wine then you should defiantly not watch that. :D ;D

I'm American, I live in south Alabama on the gulf coast. I first got into watching British shows about 30 yrs. ago and got hooked. I've always liked their type of humor, which can be plentiful in non pc jokes, especially the older the show is. It's part of why I watch them.
I'm also white and some of the funniest American comedy shows I enjoy are actually the older ones with black characters being very non pc towards whites, such as Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, etc. I think they're hilarious. I'm smart enough to know the producers aren't trying to spread hate around, they are showing the bigotry of the characters with the message of "don't act this way". People need to just lighten up and enjoy life more, it doesn't last long.

I'm American, I live in south Alabama on the gulf coast. I first got into watching British shows about 30 yrs. ago and got hooked. I've always liked their type of humor, which can be plentiful in non pc jokes, especially the older the show is. It's part of why I watch them.
I'm also white and some of the funniest American comedy shows I enjoy are actually the older ones with black characters being very non pc towards whites, such as Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, etc. I think they're hilarious. I'm smart enough to know the producers aren't trying to spread hate around, they are showing the bigotry of the characters with the message of "don't act this way". People need to just lighten up and enjoy life more, it doesn't last long.

This is all very true but there are boundaries we all need to live by them but the PC police do go over board, I worked in a school once and the head teacher banned the nursery rhyme baa baa black sheep which we thought was way over the top! You can't have out right hate speeches but people do need to lighten up. :)

By the way Ron-Po I love the American accents especially those from the south. ;D

I see the trend of "political incorrectness" with a lot of British comedy from the 70's, now that you bring that up (Benny Hills, Monty Python, Open All Hours, and the Blamire years of Summer Wine". When did these British shows become more tame? I know, Summer Wine became more of a family program when Foggy came in. Perhaps, around that time in the late 70's, shows generally became more family friendly.

I guess American comedies in the 1970's were a mix of family-friendy and edgy. Ron-Po mentions Sanford and Son. Sanford and Son is very good. Redd Foxx plays, Fred Sanford, an old, somewhat bigoted junkyard owner in Los Angeles. AN absolute classic show is All in the Family. This features the character, Archie Bunker, an old, stubborn, white bigoted man. Ron-Po, it is funny how the too characters are so similar. The characters are loveable, but part of the comedy is their stubbornness and ignorance.

On a final note, my VCR that I rely on to record British shows no longer works. My Public Television stations just started airing "Yes, Minister" which I think is great. I am only ab le to catch it on occasion.

Yes Minister is very funny I hope you get to see Yes Prime Minister which I think was even funnier. Your Sanford and Son sounds like your version of our Steptoe and Son.

Yes Minister is very funny I hope you get to see Yes Prime Minister which I think was even funnier. Your Sanford and Son sounds like your version of our Steptoe and Son.

Could never get into Yes Minister for some reason.

I think the problem with the whole British/English thing is that its not explained properly the geography in other country's.

Without wanting to start WW3, I would be interested in where you stand with the referendum Big Unc? I have been asking all the Scottish people I know and have been getting some interresting answers.

There is an element in all of us to fail to understand the subtleties of situations in other nations. Actually, I consider Wales to be the part of UK which comes off worst in this ignorance abroad of the make up of the United Kingdom.

As for the Referendum, I am an unreconstructed unionist. I consider this far too small an island to have an international boundary across it. And whatever the Scottish Nationalist Party might argue, a lot of the pro-separation sentiment is founded on an anti-English basis. A lot of this bias is anti-London and there there is a significant point. Power in the UK is far too centralised. After all, look at the BBC! And, of course, the failure of Westminster to have any form of proportional representation is fundamentally undemocratic.

One of my main concerns with the referendum as it stands is the ridiculously long time until it happens. I do find decisions in general in UK take far to long to be made.

Now, let us start WW3. I would dearly like to see the whole of Ireland as part of the United Kingdom. However, I realise that the justified antagonism in the Republic towards British past injuries to Ireland make it impossible to bring this about. And, if Great Britain is too small an island for an international boundary, the island of Ireland is even more so. So, I do stand for a united Ireland.

One of my main reasons for not wanting Scottish separation is that it would weaken the United Kingdom in relation to Europe and the European Community. That is yet another entity which is far too centralised and far from democratic. It needs a strong UK to stand up to other large nations, particularly France, which seek to extend Federalism.

Get thy teeth into that, young Susan.

This is my twopennorth Unc, I agree with what you've put and wish that we could be an "actual " United Kingdom instead of the splintered(or should that be fractured) mix that we are. I said once on another thread,where does it stop? What about the Cornish and the Yorkshire folk who want to govern themselves?? Its an emotive subject and no one person can have the answers. I even have aquaintances who insist on crossing out the word British and sustituting English on official forms!!( The usual answer if you ask them is" The Scots can declare themselves Scots, the Welsh and Irish are seperate on the forms why cant we be?? :-\

I absolutely agree with both of you there but not everyone does, it would be a shame to fragment the country and do agree that it could mainly be based on the "Anti English" ethos, every Scotsman I have spoken to is against it for one reason or another so I think Mr Salmon is on an expensive hiding to nothing. Has for Europe ( Hard hat on and dive under the table) We need out and we need out now!!

Further to the above , according to the Daily Mail ( ???) Mr Salmond is asking for a bail out from the Bank of England should there be problems after Independence. :-\

I absolutely agree with both of you there but not everyone does, it would be a shame to fragment the country and do agree that it could mainly be based on the "Anti English" ethos, every Scotsman I have spoken to is against it for one reason or another so I think Mr Salmon is on an expensive hiding to nothing. Has for Europe ( Hard hat on and dive under the table) We need out and we need out now!!

One problem is that Scots living outside Scotland do not get a vote which I consider wrong.

Back