You are never too old

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
This news item made me laugh as there was a happy outcome though it could have had more serious consequences . It does prove that you are never too old .

It got me thinking which characters are likely to participate in such a thing and what band/music would be involved.

Remember Captain....Crusher stating to Auntie Ivy......" I'M MORE YER HEAVY METAL !!!"....SO....take you pick......I am going for ....METALLICA....but you would not need a load of fellow "metalheads" to transport him above the crowd to the stage....you would need a FORK LIFT TRUCK !!!!!!.
X!

Captain.....I like each and everyone of our Summerwine family members commend Jonathon for the amazing transformation.
He should be so proud of the effort he has put in to achieve this.....[because WE are all proud of him]
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CRUSHER.....and respect Jonathon as a person and as a very fine actor......
My point was made specifically for Crusher...as he appeared in our show.....not Jonathon.
If ANYONE takes offence with my previous post I sincerely apologise......I will reiterate.....it was the character Crusher...not Jonathon.
x!

There is one person who would definitely be besotted with this man and his previous band.....SMILER AND THE SMITHS !!!!!...[I can't talk.....because I am obsessed with all things Smiths and Morrissey !!!!]
Smiler is the only man who makes Morrissey look like Billy Connelly in his pomp !!!!.
I can just see Smiler throwing off his long raincoat...getting lifted up...and launching himself towards the stage as Morrissey sings Smiler's favourite song...."HEAVEN KNOWS I'M MISERABLE NOW" !!!!

Captain.....I like each and everyone of our Summerwine family members commend Jonathon for the amazing transformation.
He should be so proud of the effort he has put in to achieve this.....[because WE are all proud of him]
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CRUSHER.....and respect Jonathon as a person and as a very fine actor......
My point was made specifically for Crusher...as he appeared in our show.....not Jonathon.
If ANYONE takes offence with my previous post I sincerely apologise......I will reiterate.....it was the character Crusher...not Jonathon.
x!

Sorry Keith my fault, it was meant to be a throw a way line not to bring you any stress. I meant it as a funny response to your analogy which was equally an attempt to bring humour to the request for LOTSW characters to crowd surf. Please don't feel any need to apologise and please accept my apology for making you feel that uncomfortable, it certainly was not what I would ever wish to do :)

Captain...I love yer....and respect yer in equal measures !!!!!....
We are 2 halves of 1 whole.....us Scousers and Geordies !!!!......we just always "get on" when we meet !!!!.....both great historic working class proud port cities.....you NEVER have to apologise to me mate !!!!!.
x!

Captain...I love yer....and respect yer in equal measures !!!!!....
We are 2 halves of 1 whole.....us Scousers and Geordies !!!!......we just always "get on" when we meet !!!!.....both great historic working class proud port cities.....you NEVER have to apologise to me mate !!!!!.
x!
I too love The Smiths (although I can't stand Morrissey as a person) you could use many of his songs for LOTSW characters, how about Panic for Howard when Pearl invariably catches him with he lady who 'he hardly knows'????:p:p:p:p

I don’t know how much say the artist has nowadays over ticket prices. I’m sure the venues/ promoters take a big cut. I know they do at the overpriced merchandise stalls inside the venues.
Back in the day I new someone who used to do all the bootleg shirts sold outside the gigs. A bit of an Arthur Daley/ Del Boy with boxes of shirts hidden in shrubs bushes around the surrounding streets. :)
I still have my old ticket stubs from gigs at the Manchester Apollo, £3.50 to see the Clash, £2.50 DEVO etc.
The Damned original line up gig this year at the same venue is £75.
Don’t get me started on Glastonbury tickets, I still have my programme from 1986-£17 to get in!!

@ferret I've seen a couple of The Smiths tribute bands at the Carling Academy and they were brilliant and about a tenner to get in!

Maybe I'm just overly cynical in my old age, but if an artist of his standing wanted to reduce the cost of tickets I'm sure he could influence it, he's infamous for his intransigence if he doesn't want to do something!!!

Agree wholeheartedly Barry about what "power to the People" Morrissey is to charge . If it's his management / promoter then his principles don't seem to extend to him gathering in the cash rather than hammering his manager for agreeing such a high cost . I have seen tribute bands who are really good, saw Nearly Dan just after lockdown and they are as good as it gets but tickets are below £20 same again this September as they are returning to the Sage .

The thing I find most galling are bands who go out on tour using the name charge high prices when there might be one or even no original members . The Hollies are on tour and at my local place the tickets were £50 and there's only Tony Hicks and Colin Petersen the drummer left the Hollies are Alan Clarke he left an age ago [as did Graham Nash a long time back] so how can they demand £50 . The worst ever was Dr Feelgood they toured a few years back no original member and high price .

I saw the Sgt Peppers 50th anniversary gig with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic and Bootleg Beatles for £25 they are back with Abbey Road and Let it Be and tickets are £60 upwards. I would like to think its their management and promoter who dream up the prices and the artists have little say but I suspect I may be wrong.

After Joe Strummer died a few lads near us got there heads together and came up with a non profit festival to celebrate his life and work.
Called Strummercamp it’s now been going strong for 17 years and the crowd it attracts are great friends I meet only once a year.
We have had Damned, Beat, Undertones, UK Subs, Hugh Cornwall, Ruts,The Men They Couldn’t Hang and hundreds of other punk/ folk/ reggae bands. Over the years the larger named groups have fallen off the line up mainly due to the plethora of other larger festivals who can offer them more money.
I asked the promoter running ( in 2008)it if he had ever tried to get the Buzzcocks to play and he said he had but their management had asked for something like £10,000 + to play!!

After Joe Strummer died a few lads near us got there heads together and came up with a non profit festival to celebrate his life and work.
Called Strummercamp it’s now been going strong for 17 years and the crowd it attracts are great friends I meet only once a year.
We have had Damned, Beat, Undertones, UK Subs, Hugh Cornwall, Ruts,The Men They Couldn’t Hang and hundreds of other punk/ folk/ reggae bands. Over the years the larger named groups have fallen off the line up mainly due to the plethora of other larger festivals who can offer them more money.
I asked the promoter running ( in 2008)it if he had ever tried to get the Buzzcocks to play and he said he had but their management had asked for something like £10,000 + to play!!
If he hadn't departed you could've got your neighbour Frank Sidebottom to play his ukulele at your event, he'd have played for a sandwich and a can of beer!!!

Back