Wyatt's Watchdogs

Also Stephen that last episode has John Inmans first role as one of the bowlers, the only time I've ever seen him play a non-camp character!

Yes I'd forgotten about that, Barry. I must confess that I never noticed him the first time I watched it. Nice to see him.though.

Talking of Brian Wilde, I would like to see the pilot episode he made about a football manager called 'Over the Moon', written by John Sullivan.

I have seen a fragment of it, but it was never transmitted in full, as I understand it.

You would think some of this archive stuff would be seeing the light of day again by now.

Talking of Brian Wilde, I would like to see the pilot episode he made about a football manager called 'Over the Moon', written by John Sullivan.

I have seen a fragment of it, but it was never transmitted in full, as I understand it.

You would think some of this archive stuff would be seeing the light of day again by now.

Super interesting! You have me intrigued. I would love to know more about that.

It was made in 1980 I think. I think the idea was abandoned because there was already a sports comedy called Seconds Out, so they decided not to bother.

In fact, if they had made a full series, as was intended, there probably would have been no Only Fools and Horses, as this was made instead.

Just finished watching all these and I enjoyed this nice series. Thanks for bringing it up and for the links to watch it. I am tempted to grab the dvd if I find a good deal on it. Could have watched another season or two of it had they produced more.

Saw several people in there that I recognized from other shows. April Walker as Virginia I remember her from Fawlty Towers The Wedding Party episode. The policeman James Warrior seen him in a few things - Lovejoy and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. Clive Mantle from The White Van Man as the hippy parking his camper on the common green area during the neighborhood beauty competition. Thinking another was Russell Hunter of The Gaffer shop foreman as the man whose car Trevor Bannistor drove away in during their crime watch video. A few others in small bit parts I can't place at the moment.

Just finished watching all these and I enjoyed this nice series. Thanks for bringing it up and for the links to watch it. I am tempted to grab the dvd if I find a good deal on it. Could have watched another season or two of it had they produced more.

Saw several people in there that I recognized from other shows. April Walker as Virginia I remember her from Fawlty Towers The Wedding Party episode. The policeman James Warrior seen him in a few things - Lovejoy and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. Clive Mantle from The White Van Man as the hippy parking his camper on the common green area during the neighborhood beauty competition. Thinking another was Russell Hunter of The Gaffer shop foreman as the man whose car Trevor Bannistor drove away in during their crime watch video. A few others in small bit parts I can't place at the moment.

Is there a dvd?

About a DVD on WW. Sadly it looks like there is not. Seems like I jumped the gun on that comment. Must have been wishful thinking on my part.

edit - Sorry if I got your hopes up there wstol, I just dashed mine as well.

Last edited:
Just found this about the series on Wikipedia, interesting without Wyatts Watchdogs we may not have got Foggy for another 7 series!

Although it performed moderately in its time-slot, the BBC felt - who had hoped that, starring Wilde, it would have gained much of Last of the Summer Wines viewing figures - that the programme had not really caught on with viewers, and it was dropped after its initial series.

However, with the production of this series, Wilde and Bell managed to settle their differences regarding Last of the Summer Wine, and the following year in 1989, when the next series of Summer Wine was due to start filming and actor Michael Aldridge having to leave the show for personal reasons, the character of Seymour Utterthwaite had to be replaced and Brian agreed to return as Foggy Dewhurst, staying with the series for seven more years.

That's not really Alan Bell's version of events in his later book and can't really be accurate anyway. Remember, Wilde refused to work with Bell after Series 6 and that's why Lotterby returned to direct and produce Series 7. Wilde did work with Bell on "Getting Sam Home" and Series 8 and as Bell notes he and Wilde worked out their differences prior to that. Wyatt's Watchdogs was developed with Wilde and another director/producer, but the BBC decided they wanted Bell to direct it instead and Wilde agreed to do it with him. Bell says he didn't really want Wilde to come back to LOTSW when Aldridge departed but Wilde made it known to the BBC that he would come back and the BBC asked Bell to sell the idea to the reluctant Sallis and Owen.

@maltrab , Terry Thank you so much for keeping Wyatt's Watchdogs links still available! I lost them by mistake recently while moving some content around in a hard drive re-shuffle. So nice to get them back again :18:. Would it be cheeky of me to ask if you have other similar shows you have shared links to here still available? Not sure how to search for video links within the forums. If not no worries just curious.

@Stephen , looking back through the posts here I see we talked about Two in Clover and The Squirrels. Working my way through TiC currently and so far am liking it :). The place I found them also has the Squirrels if you are still interested.

They have what looks like a bunch of cool older British / UK shows that I am planning to do a deep dive through. With a name like " CLASSIC UK DRAMA & SITCOM TV SHOWS " how can one go wrong?

@maltrab , Terry Thank you so much for keeping Wyatt's Watchdogs links still available! I lost them by mistake recently while moving some content around in a hard drive re-shuffle. So nice to get them back again :18:. Would it be cheeky of me to ask if you have other similar shows you have shared links to here still available? Not sure how to search for video links within the forums. If not no worries just curious.

@Stephen , looking back through the posts here I see we talked about Two in Clover and The Squirrels. Working my way through TiC currently and so far am liking it :). The place I found them also has the Squirrels if you are still interested.

They have what looks like a bunch of cool older British / UK shows that I am planning to do a deep dive through. With a name like " CLASSIC UK DRAMA & SITCOM TV SHOWS " how can one go wrong?

What else might you be looking for Rick

Can I also be really cheeky, I don't suppose you have a link to The Just Pearl DVD do you, I've been hunting high and low for the DVD but to no avail.

Can I also be really cheeky, I don't suppose you have a link to The Just Pearl DVD do you, I've been hunting high and low for the DVD but to no avail.
I do, remind me after the weekend and I will dig it out, it was from the original disc, but I was saddened by the recoding quality

Thanks Terry, really appreciate that - I suppose it is to be expected as it was always going to be pretty amateurish as it was a fairly low key tour.

Terry's brilliant for things like this, he's like the bloke who used to work at our local Video rental shop and could get you all sorts from behind the counter ;););)

Finally downloaded it, thank you once again for taking the time to share this with us, I've been looking to buy the DVD for ages. I'll ensure I add the cost of the DVD to my annual Summerwine.net subs when they are due :37:

Finally downloaded it, thank you once again for taking the time to share this with us, I've been looking to buy the DVD for ages. I'll ensure I add the cost of the DVD to my annual Summerwine.net subs when they are due :37:
Thanks Barry, the subs will be in about 4 weeks time, when the website will be 21 years old

Back