Wyatt's Watchdogs

Stephen

Anybody else think a release of this comedy series is long overdue? I'd love to see it. There are a few clips on YouTube but that's it! It seems a bit odd as there are some seriously obscure TV series released on dvd (especially from the ITV archives) that involve Summer Wine actors but this one never sees the light of day.

I do have the 6 episodes that were converted from a VHS tape of the original recordings, but the quality is not that good, maybe as it was not highly rated the tapes got binned

I liked the programme at the time, though I haven't seen it for over 30 years, so not sure how I'd find it now.

Certainly a very important piece of TV, for the obvious similarities to LOTSW.

It's the sort of programme I would expect to turn up on YouTube, so this seems like the most likely place for it to eventually turn up one day.

They should have a tv channel that shows all the failed tv series - people would see how good some of these programmes actually are.

After watching the clips on YouTube it certainly does look as good as I remember, and would love to see the whole series again.

After watching the clips on YouTube it certainly does look as good as I remember, and would love to see the whole series again.

Yes I've just rewatched the YouTube clips and it certainly does look good. I was actually surprised that Brian Wilde's character is not as Foggy-like as I first thought it was: he seems to be posher and slightly more militaristic and colonial. Perhaps it's just the clips available that make me think this.

Very interesting post Stephen, I too have been looking for this series and have seen the odd snippet on YT. Hopefully someone will post some episodes on there in the future

Very interesting post Stephen, I too have been looking for this series and have seen the odd snippet on YT. Hopefully someone will post some episodes on there in the future

Thanks, Barry. I think the YouTube avenue is the only one that seems viable. Now DVDs are being phased out, I fear It's too late for a release on that format -- and I certainly can't see it being released on Blu-ray. I'll just have to keep popping back to YouTube, periodically, on the off chance someone posts more. Hope springs eternal.

Hi maltrab. Thank you so much for that! Xxx It doesn't seem to work for me, but then I think it's down to the fact that I am on my phone at the moment (Vodafone are a pain sometimes). I'm gonna get my dad to try on his computer. Lol Hopefully others will have more success and let me know. :37:

Just found this about the series on Wikipedia, interesting without Wyatts Watchdogs we may not have got Foggy for another 7 series!

Although it performed moderately in its time-slot, the BBC felt - who had hoped that, starring Wilde, it would have gained much of Last of the Summer Wines viewing figures - that the programme had not really caught on with viewers, and it was dropped after its initial series.

However, with the production of this series, Wilde and Bell managed to settle their differences regarding Last of the Summer Wine, and the following year in 1989, when the next series of Summer Wine was due to start filming and actor Michael Aldridge having to leave the show for personal reasons, the character of Seymour Utterthwaite had to be replaced and Brian agreed to return as Foggy Dewhurst, staying with the series for seven more years.

@Stephen, or those in the know, can you expand a bit more on this please?

"... obscure TV series released on dvd (especially from the ITV archives) that involve Summer Wine actors ...."

I imagine you are talking about something similar to Mann's Best Friend or Don't Drink the Water or Odd Man Out type of shows. Ones that are nice diversion to watch but may not be the channels top tier headliner shows. Always interesting in finding something new to watch.

Sorry on double post, time limit expired.

Thanks for those links, Terry. I look forward to watching them later.

@Stephen, or those in the know, can you expand a bit more on this please?

"... obscure TV series released on dvd (especially from the ITV archives) that involve Summer Wine actors ...."

I imagine you are talking about something similar to Mann's Best Friend or Don't Drink the Water or Odd Man Out type of shows. Ones that are nice diversion to watch but may not be the channels top tier headliner shows. Always interesting in finding something new to watch.

Hi RickAns!

One of the ones I was referring to is The Wackers, starring Joe Gladwin (ITV). I picked this one up in Foyles bookshop some years, along with Two in Clover, starring Sid James and Victor Spinetti. There was also one starring Cathy Staff, but the name of it escapes me at the moment. I'm pretty sure you can still pick them up.

Thanks Stephen, I stumbled across The Wackers on youtube to see some more of Joe Gladwin and liked it so much I ordered the DVD's for that and The Squirrels that Sid James is also in. Not heard of Two in Clover before and it sounds interesting, will look into it more. Reminds me a bit of The Goods / Good Neighbors with leaving the rat race and going back to nature. One with John Comer I really like is I Didn't Know You Cared. Two others I truly enjoy with Thora Hird in them are Hallelujah! (with Patsy Rowlands also in Squirrels) and In Loving Memory.

Thanks Stephen, I stumbled across The Wackers on youtube to see some more of Joe Gladwin and liked it so much I ordered the DVD's for that and The Squirrels that Sid James is also in. Not heard of Two in Clover before and it sounds interesting, will look into it more. Reminds me a bit of The Goods / Good Neighbors with leaving the rat race and going back to nature. One with John Comer I really like is I Didn't Know You Cared. Two others I truly enjoy with Thora Hird in them are Hallelujah! (with Patsy Rowlands also in Squirrels) and In Loving Memory.

Hi RickAns!

Not heard of The Squirrels -- I'll have to look it up, thanks.:D Two in Clover is rather fun and you are right in the fact that it does have a touch of the 'leaving the rat race' about it. There were two series (one black & white, one colour) and it has been rapidly growing on me for a while now. It also stars Bill Pertwee, of Dad's Army Fame, and has a guest appearance -- in the last episode -- from Freddie Trueman. The quirky theme tune is another thing that grows on you.

Also Stephen that last episode has John Inmans first role as one of the bowlers, the only time I've ever seen him play a non-camp character!

I don't think Sid James was in The Squirrels - I think Ken Jones was though.

I don't think Sid James was in The Squirrels - I think Ken Jones was though.

You are right, not sure where that came from. Did watch a few episodes of Bless this House some days back. Complete miss-type on my part. Thanks for catching it. I know now, it was the mention of Two in Clover starring Sid James that stuck in my head.

I am unable to go back into earlier post and edit in a note to clarify.

Back