World War II Pigeon Service

Marianna

Dedicated Member
In First of the Summer Wine, during the lead-up to the war, Mr. Clegg (Peter Sallis) read in the newspaper that the British military was going to use homing pigeons. He didn't think much of the idea, and in that show it was just a passing bit of dialog. I just finished reading a novel based on that piece of history, The Long Flight Home, by Alan Hlad. So that passing bit of dialog was fact, not fiction! It's a "can't put it down" type of book, too.

Last edited:
No Marianna it wasn't fiction! They used pigeons in quite a few wars, Including WW1 where they probably used it more than any other.
Several pigeons won the "Dickens" medal which is the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

If you know the last series of the show Blackadder, there are a couple of episodes based on the REAL law which prohibited the British troops from shooting pigeons at the front....although I don't think the death penalty was invoked.....except by General Melchard!

I bought this used Pigeon marker ring on a visit to Bletchley Park, I was informed it was a genuine WW2 pigeon ring used during that time, and the numbers on the ring can be traced to where and when it was actually used, but I have not discovered how to go about this, knowing my luck I will spend time and money doing the research on to discover it belonged to a chap in Holmfirth named Wally Batty
P1.jpg P2.jpg

No Marianna it wasn't fiction! They used pigeons in quite a few wars, Including WW1 where they probably used it more than any other.
Several pigeons won the "Dickens" medal which is the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

If you know the last series of the show Blackadder, there are a couple of episodes based on the REAL law which prohibited the British troops from shooting pigeons at the front....although I don't think the death penalty was invoked.....except by General Melchard!
To that note I also only recently discovered that shooting rats in the trenches was a court marshal offence in WW1, but I think that was down to the fact that it was deemed a waste of ammunition rather than the welfare of said rodents!

To that note I also only recently discovered that shooting rats in the trenches was a court marshal offence in WW1, but I think that was down to the fact that it was deemed a waste of ammunition rather than the welfare of said rodents!
It was also so that they didn't shoot their own men by accident. Given that there were a LOT more rats than enemy soldiers in the trenches, some the size of cats! that would definitely involve a lot of ammo.!

I bought this used Pigeon marker ring on a visit to Bletchley Park, I was informed it was a genuine WW2 pigeon ring used during that time, and the numbers on the ring can be traced to where and when it was actually used, but I have not discovered how to go about this, knowing my luck I will spend time and money doing the research on to discover it belonged to a chap in Holmfirth named Wally Batty
View attachment 5728 View attachment 5729
Terry, try getting in touch with the Imperial War Museum. If they don't have the records themselves, they may be able to point you in the right direction. (No pun intended!)

View attachment 5728 View attachment 5729
I have a mate who collects various military paraphernalia I’ll ask him if he has any info.
I do know that a different coloured ring denotes a number of things ie red is US forces and British Army, Blue is US forces and RAF, Black is British Police, Grey is British Special Service.
If it has NURPS on it it’s a National Union of Racing Pigeon bird.

My dad served in WW2 and I remember him telling me about pigeons being used as messengers. I think my reaction was "oh right!" followed by "I'm off outside with me mates". Don't get me wrong I never dismissed my old man he was a great dad but I was about 12ish and outside was waiting for me hahaha ; )))

It was also so that they didn't shoot their own men by accident. Given that there were a LOT more rats than enemy soldiers in the trenches, some the size of cats! that would definitely involve a lot of ammo.!
I guess also that shooting would also give away your position. I went to the trench exhibition at the IWM a number of years ago which I found intriguing. You get a vision of just how bleak it was. On the subject of the rats I was told their size in WW1 was subject to exaggeration, many were certainly fat but they are always roughly the same size so no bigger than a kitten. That said sharing a muddy hole with all those rats would be my idea of Hell

While slightly on the subject of war I remember Compo was in a barn with Clegg and Foggy and he said something about having to be tidy with a pressed uniform and dying for the privilege. Please does anyone know what he said?

Back