Wooden toy ideas from LOTSW??!

Eli’sComing

Dedicated Member
So I’ve been making wooden toys for kids out of recycled hardwood for about six years now

You can see some pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/uwKGgqTt8akvJQGN6

Mostly I make toys that float, fly, or shoot
I sell them at fairs and festivals on weekends

But ANYWAY, it would be lovely to make a few wooden toys of some of the crazy contraptions which foggy, Seymour, and Wesley designed to , let us say, transport poor old Compo

What would you folks recommend?

Attachments

• 019BA5D5-816C-4F3E-88B0-AC52944D25E8.jpeg
    019BA5D5-816C-4F3E-88B0-AC52944D25E8.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 9
Wow!

In the UK we have a programme called The Repair Shop where people with amazing traditional skills make and repair sentimental items (not sure if it's made it over the Pond yet?) Your woodcrafting skills are clearly as good as anything I've seen on there!

Thanks for sharing, for my suggestion what about the Submarine that was designed for Compo in the iconic episode!?

Wow!

In the UK we have a programme called The Repair Shop where people with amazing traditional skills make and repair sentimental items (not sure if it's made it over the Pond yet?)
That sounds interesting! I haven't seen it here yet. I'm still waiting for them to let us have The Great British Sewing Bee.

The submarine would be a great choice. As a child I had one with a propeller that spun on a tightened rubber band. I also went through an entire battalion of balsa wood gliders so maybe a glider based on Compo's hang-glider in Here We Go Again into the Wild Blue Yonder would be something that would appeal to a kid.
You could make Captain Zero's cannon.

Last edited:
What an awesome idea! Much respect for you doing such a thing for the kids. Great woodworking skills you have as well. I love toys like the ones you have made. Just something simple, honest and wholesome about them. A genuine toy at it's finest.

As for some pre-morning coffee ideas: Wesley's Rover, found a great bath tub model with the trio.

Non LotSW related might be if you are a Red Dwarf fan: the Red Dwarf, a Skutter, Starbug.

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
  • images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 4
  • images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 4
  • images3a.jpg
    images3a.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks barrychuckle for your kind flattery
I’m not really that good at it
I just make solid body chunky toys that work well
The sub was one of the first things I thought of
Nobody around here watches LOTSW except me
The kids around here certainly don’t watch it
Only big fans of the show would “get” it

I’m thinking along the lines of the self propelled salad strainer, that looks funny in itself and also would hurl,say, a Barbie doll in a funny way

The boats and hole-digging bike would be a lot of work and nobody would get the joke

RickAns- that’s a hilarious selection of toys there
Thanks for searching for them

Keep thinking please folks…
Was Compo ever hurled FAR and HIGH by a funny-looking contraption?

Was Compo ever hurled FAR and HIGH by a funny-looking contraption?
Yes, Seymour created an ejection seat contraption for Compo to test.

There was also one by Wesley - the Salad Strainer episode.

The cannon that was supposed to shoot Compo 'Captain Zero' out of it.

I'm sure others can chime in since that seems to be the theme you are looking for.

Yes now we’re really getting somewhere
The salad strainer and the captain zero cannons are definitely in the running
But please tell me which episode has the Seymour design ejection seat
Thanks rick

Didn't Smiler and Tom have a milk float at one time? That would be unique.
Not LOTSW related, but my dad made wooden toys for a time in the 70's while out of work for a time, and the best thing he made was a wheeled Noah's ark with pairs of wooden animals. I think the pattern came from a Reader's Digest Handyman or Do-it-yourself book. He also made me wooden figures of all the characters from Tintin. He only used a jig saw; a bandsaw would make life easier. They were about 6 inches tall and about an inch thick. He drew a paper template that suggested the shape of the character including outline of clothing like hats or Calculus's pendulum, and all the details were painted on, the same both sides. He even made Snowy. You probably could draw character templates of the main characters, and then paint them with attention to their usual costumes. If it's difficult transposing a real person to an illustration, we have an excellent cartoonist in the group and looking at his work might help.

I want to take the opportunity to thank each and every one of you who replied to this thread, giving me all your wonderful suggestions for toys
Really, thanks to all of you !!

I’m going to go with a foot long wooden toy car with an ejection seat which will launch a Barbie size doll at least a foot high
I’m just going to have to do some searching for the right kind of spring
Hopefully one which will make the same kind of sound which Seymour’s invention makes in the beginning of who’s feeling ejected then

Ta!

Back