Windsor Davies

It all seems a fuss over nothing.

In the 1970s there weren't many Asian actors in the UK.

Michael Bates' nationality was Indian, British Raj.

And was seen to be doing something called 'acting'.

He played an Indian bearer.

Actors wear make-up to suit the part they are trying to portray.

Why can't someone darken their skin to look like a character they are trying to portray?

After all, there is nothing wrong with darker skin.

He could have played the part without make-up.

If so, would his performance have been compromised?
agree with your 'fuss over nothing'... 90% of the "news" today is fuss over nothing.. one reason for no need to actually bother with social media. its just a place to whinge.

You seen the fuss in teh papers last 2 days about the Nike shoe "tread" that apparently if you smash your eyes with a hammer and dont sleep for 5 weeks so everything is bluurry - the word AIRMAX in the tread is offensive to muslums...

No idea what the Airmax stuff is about, whatever it is I shan't worry about it or cause a fuss.

No idea what the Airmax stuff is about, whatever it is I shan't worry about it or cause a fuss.

If you read the logo on the soles of the shoes, with the lettering upside down, the middle three characters very slightly resemble the word "Allah". I had to study it quite a while with the Arabic script adjacent to see the resemblance, but I have no knowledge of Arabic. Perhaps if the script and the language were familiar to me it would have been immediately evident. On the other hand, the lettering is so stylized that I also had to study it for quite a while to make out the word "Airmax".

I just think it comes back to people deseparetely looking for *something* to get their 3 minutes of Twitterverse hero worship... :(

If you read the logo on the soles of the shoes, with the lettering upside down, the middle three characters very slightly resemble the word "Allah". I had to study it quite a while with the Arabic script adjacent to see the resemblance, but I have no knowledge of Arabic. Perhaps if the script and the language were familiar to me it would have been immediately evident. On the other hand, the lettering is so stylized that I also had to study it for quite a while to make out the word "Airmax".

Ah.

Aye, well, ummm.

And to quote Windsor Davies, as the original post was about, Oh Dear, How Sad, Never Mind.

Back