Windows 10

Another issue with 10 as a upgrade,if you do not have the original software on your computer after you have upgraded and 10 crashes,the only thing you can then do is buy it,if you have the original 7 or 8 on disc and 10 crashes,then you will have to install this first then upgrade to 10 again

If you have space then the best solution,once 10 is finely tuned to how you want it, is to make a image file and recovery cd,both can be done by going into the Control Panel,File History,click on system image backup,create a system image and follow the instructions, you could back it up to DVD which would need 8-12 discs

Terry
Another thing I had wondered about is how long the "FREE" lasts. In other words, if there are upgrades or fixes that come out for 10, are they free or would you than have to buy it to keep current. Or is it free for a year and then you have to purchase to keep it type of thing?

Another thing I had wondered about is how long the "FREE" lasts. In other words, if there are upgrades or fixes that come out for 10, are they free or would you than have to buy it to keep current. Or is it free for a year and then you have to purchase to keep it type of thing?

Microsoft claim there will be no further charges,we will have to wait and see on that one,that includes major updates

Had to throw in the towel and revert to Windows 7 on my laptop. Just could not get it to work with my Norton Internet Protection. Every time it was restarted, the Norton was missing and I got in a right mess reloading.

And, of course, now there are wee glitches on Windows 7.

Had to throw in the towel and revert to Windows 7 on my laptop. Just could not get it to work with my Norton Internet Protection. Every time it was restarted, the Norton was missing and I got in a right mess reloading.

And, of course, now there are wee glitches on Windows 7.

It seems Unc that some software including security software is not ready for Windows 10 yet,hence your problems

I hate it!

After allowing the installation to go ahead, with the potentially privacy-compromising apps turned off, I tried to open Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe (the replacement for the expired versions of Microsoft Money, provided when Microsoft's support ceased). It doesn't open under Windows 10. Many years ago, I had one of the other financial applications for a couple of days (might have been Quicken) that was provided as a substitute for CheckFree's proprietary software, and it was perfectly wretched. I was using that type of software primarily for bookkeeping, and the substitute software was so awkward that everything took longer and resulted in less useful information than my old homemade Excel system had done.

I won't have time to try out current bookkeeping software to possibly replace what I'm currently using until sometime next year, so I reverted to Windows 7 within less than five minutes after the installation was completed.

I've gone back to Windows 7 . No technical issues , just couldn't get on with it :eek: :confused:

It is a big jump for Windows 7 users,looks very different,those using 8 will not see that much of a change on the surface

Just doing a neighbours laptop from 7 to 10 all went really well until it did a update,still trying to get it to run properly, the joys of I.T

Had to throw in the towel and revert to Windows 7 on my laptop. Just could not get it to work with my Norton Internet Protection.

Micro$oft maintain 3rd party antivirus software is not required on Windows 10 as they have included all the functionality of M$ Security Essentials by default, but even more powerful.

On a personal note (my own opinion only) I loath anything by Norton, it is bloated, overpriced and scores well down any list with regards to anti-virus efficiency. If I get a customers computer that has Norton, the first thing I do is remove it and install a sensible alternative. The machine then runs a lot faster and is better secured. Please don't take offence Big Unc. I have to vent somewhere :me:

Windows

For information Which recommend not only Kapersky but also Bit Defender Internet Security which has a rrp of £40/$89.95 , in terms of free software they recommend AVG but also Bit defender has a free package unfortunately not reviewed.

I'm glad to hear how everyone likes Windows 10. I am looking forward to replacing the tower as I have been limping along with only one measly gigabyte and then will probably get Windows 10.

I agree with Tony regarding the use of Norton it is very heavy on resources and can bring a computer with limited working memory to a crawl, along with this have have seen several computers running Avast or AVG riddled with viruses and not just the free versions, off course the people using these are not aware of the problems they think they are protected,sadly some magazines like Which rate them

Something worth a try is the better AV products will let you have a trail version for 30 days,so there is nothing to stop you installing the trail, then do a complete scan and see what it discovers, I have pasted below details of the product I have used for many years,this is from the VB100 site who do nothing but test virus software

[h=3]ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8[/h]
Main version: 8.0.304.0
Update versions: 11194, 11291, 11328, 11374
Last 6 tests: 6 passed, 0 failed, 0 no entry
Last 12 tests: 12 passed, 0 failed, 0 no entry
ItW on demand: 100.00%
ItW on access: 100.00%
False positives: 0
Stability: Solid
ESET.gif

VB100.jpg

ESET’s VB100 record remains unrivalled, with an unbroken string of passes stretching back into the mists of time. The company’s latest edition has the usual slick and professional feel, with a stark, minimalist layout on the main screen but the expected wealth of fine-tuning options readily available.
Stability was once again impeccable with no problems observed at all, but performance impact was a little high with our set of tasks slowed down noticeably.
Detection was solid across the board, and with yet another clean run over the certification sets, ESET’s epic record of passes continues to build.

Back