Wimbledon time.

I'm not right keen on the game but like to watch Wimbledon. I'm glad I didn't miss the first day. It was a bigger sports story than the football one a few months back when some team had to score so many goals. This story is unbelievable. Fifteen years ago a baby girl was born who grew up to like tennis and was a big fan of the Williams sisters, Serena and Venus. She took up tennis and became quite good at it. She played in some knockout games last week and won. She had no idea then that she would be playing at Wimbledon this week and not only that, her first match was against a woman she had admired all her life... Venus Williams. The girl is now 15, Venus Williams is 39 and had already been Wimbledon champion twice before this girl was born. Venus became Wimbledon champion another three times. Today they played their match. The 15-year-old girl was of course expected to lose. She didn't lose. She beat the woman she had idolized all her life. Fairy stories like this just don't happen, but this one DID.

Personally my feelings are summed up by the message on this mug (photo attached) - but that certainly was a tremendous achievement today and I do admire the skill and stamina of the players and wish Andy Murray all the very best.

Attachments

• IMG_0744(1).jpg
    IMG_0744(1).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 12
Cricket fan me !!:confused2::eyesroll: Mind you I would watch 3 or 4 kids and a dog on the park than my county team at the moment! :02:

Sadly I am not a fan of any of the sports on TV, I used to enjoy going to a small village cricket match, a couple of nice chairs on a warm day and after 10 mins that was me asleep

Any particular flavour ? I've always liked Lime:D

I'm with you Ferret bit of a tang. When we were younger my old dear didn't understand why her jelly was watery. When she was about to dissolve the cubes in the water we would distract her by shouting with " Is that a spider running on the floor? " She would panic , we would pinch a cube of the jelly and put the rest in the water . After calming down she would continue to stir the cubes until they dissolved one short of course.

[Q, I dippUOTE="Peripheral, post: 219417, member: 774"]Tell me, do you like football?[/QUOTE]
No, I support Macclesfield Town;).
Supported MUFC from being a kid in the 70s and went home and away. After getting married, having children and the introduction of all seater grounds I started to take the kids to our local team Macc Town. From non league into the old 3rd then 2nd division and then back down into non league. Just survived last season although the club's finances are in a bit of a mess. I don't think I will ever have a conflict of interests with my small team playing my big team any time soon!

Last edited:
Hi Rick, I bought it last summer in the ironmongery shop next to Sid's café (Kayes) - it's a nice little shop. They had a lot of mugs with different slogans but naturally I picked that one!

Peri forgot to reply to this thread I love Wimbledon and although I dont watch every match I watch most, I also like to keep an eye on the cricket too and football is my game as I have attended quite a few matches over the years but my biggest love of sport was the Bike racing as in Mototorcycles, I spent a big part of my life watching Leeds at Elland Road for the football and at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire for the bike racing although I did attend meetings at Croft, Scarborough, Mallory Park and quite a few times in my younger days went to the Isle of Man for the TT races and went there for my honeymoon too!

Did you see the match yesterday billy? The cricket match I mean. It's a good job we had Ben Stokes in the team.:cool:

Yes Peri was one of the most exciting matches of cricket ever seen, no doubt it, about the limited overs cricket is far better than those long drawn out games

Saw it , couldn't believe it if I was a New Zealand player must of thought its ours now then the most bizarre series of events ensued that no one could have predicted . We were effectively dead and buried run two and the NZ fielder hits the diving Stokes bat only for it to go to the boundary and give us a six followed by a second six only gifted by the fielder stepping back onto the boundary rope ball in hand . The super over was as equally strange and NZ lose the match because they hit one less boundary in the super over than us . I don't think you could write it.

Back